April 2015 Moms
Options

Refusing the bottle

My little girl has been breastfed since birth. At about two weeks, I began expressing milk and she took the bottle no problem - maybe once every couple of days so husband could feed and I could have a break.

A couple of weeks ago she stopped taking the bottle. I've tried giving a bottle of freshly expressed milk to my husband to try feeding me without me even being in sight but she just grizzles and chews the teat without drinking. I've tried the next size of teat and different brands. She's 3 months old.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm hoping to start weaning in about 6 weeks! She's a great sleeper at night but during the day sometimes she wants to be fed every hour so I can't leave her at all.

Re: Refusing the bottle

• Options
    No suggestions. I just wanted to say that I sympathize with you. My DS has never had a bottle. I'm pretty sure we waited too long to introduce one. Now he just screams bloody murder when we try. I too feel kind of "trapped." Plus, I have a pretty decent stash of milk in the freezer that isn't seeing any rotation. I may look into donation soon.

Ok. One suggestion I guess: I plan on introducing a sippy cup right at 6 months. I know it might take awhile to master, but I'm hoping that will help ease the nursing a bit. I plan on going for a year, but I have a feeling he'll want to go longer.