2nd Trimester
Options

Has anyone had a glass of wine?

lesisklesisk member
edited June 2015 in 2nd Trimester
Has anyone had a small amount of wine? I've heard conflicting opinions? Some say it's fine after the second trimester (in small amounts, and not too frequently) some say not at all. Thought I'd get some insight from you wonderful people :)

(I have the mobile app, and for whatever reason, I cannot use the "search function.") When people reply with search it, it doesn't really help.

Re: Has anyone had a glass of wine?

• Options
    Search it
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    It's really a personal choice. I personally didn't drink through any of my pregnancies. I didn't miss it enough.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tried to drink a glass a couple weeks ago as I was relaxing with friends. I filled a glass with ice and a serving of wine. Made it through almost half after three hours. Alcohol makes me sleepy regardless, so add the exhaustion of growing a tiny person on top of that and I was falling asleep. I had 3 half servings of wine when pregnant with DS, he was born healthy.
  • Options
    It's fine. A 6 oz glass of red once in awhile is actually beneficial because of the antioxidants. But drink a bigger glass of water with it so you don't dehydrate. I didn't drink at all with my first two but this one I crave red wine. I'm still in my first trimester so I'm not taking the chance though. Always talk to your doctor.
  • Options
    My doctor recommended I wait till the third trimester. I had wine a couple times and a couple martinis. (All separate occasions) That baby is 3 years now and perfectly healthy. My doctor said that in Europe mother's drink throughout pregnancy and their rate of fetal alcohol syndrome is tremendously less than that of the U.S. Just keep it to one serving and be sensible.
  • Options
    I had half a glass of rose the other day at 14 weeks. It was heavenly!
  • Options
    jenboston22jenboston22 member
    edited June 2015
    I think it's completely fine in moderate amounts (1/2 glass to 1 glass appreciated slowly with food; 1 or 2 times a week), but ever since I started feeling little one kicking, I can't even bring myself to drink these small amounts. I know it's psychological (as I know scientifically the alcohol will all get processed through my liver before reaching the baby), but oh well. It doesn't really bother me -- I know that if I feel the desire, I can have a little. So, do what makes you feel comfortable, as long as what makes you feel comfortable is not downing 5 shots in a row  ;)
  • Options
    lesisk said:

Has anyone had a small amount of wine? I've heard conflicting opinions? Some say it's fine after the second trimester (in small amounts, and not too frequently) some say not at all. Thought I'd get some insight from you wonderful people :)

Personal comfort level. I do not feel comfortable ingesting alcohol while pregnant.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I miss wine soon much, but I'm waiting until he's out in the world to imbibe. Wine will be in the hospital bag. My Dr said no alcohol whatsoever.
  • Options
    It isn't worth the risk to me.
  • Options
    rue:Drue:D member
    I haven't had more than a sip or two so far (23w today). But a friend brought me a bottle and I will be having a small glass here at some point!
  • Options
    I have had three in total. 
    • 1 glass of champagne when i found out i was pregnant. 
    • 1/2 glass of wine after a day of delays and reroutes on a business trip (12.5 weeks) - would have had the whole glass but maternity sickness didn't like it
    • 1 today with lunch (14.5 weeks)
    Doc says a glass or two of wine a week is perfectly ok. I just can't drink that much because I"m already so tired. I might try a beer in a couple of weeks IF I can find a good dark stout worth drinking. Not sure yet. 
  • Options
    No but I have had a few NA beers (not in one sitting). I like taste of beer and is refreshing in summer. Also had a few sips of champ on our 3rd anniversary.
  • Options
    I would never take a chance to risk my babies health :) alcohal isn't that important to me so I can wait until he's out in the world before I indulge.
  • Options
    I have enjoyed two glasses of wine in my second trimester. Not at the same time of course. But I plan on having a glass of wine per month if I want it :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I must admit I really do miss my wine!

Due date is Dec 2nd, so maybe a glass w/ my Thanksgiving dinner?

Not feeling like its really worth it at this point, I think I would feel too guilty. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    TacoSarah said:

skabanak said:

I would never take a chance to risk my babies health :) alcohal isn't that important to me so I can wait until he's out in the world before I indulge.

Haha love this pic!
  • Options
    I personally abstain (as per the AAP, NIH, CDC and ACOG recommendations) because studies show pregnant women metabolize alcohol at a slower rate than non pregnant women and a safe level hasn't been established (no judgement, but to me it's not worth the risk, but I wasn't really a drinker to begin with). To the original poster- If you feel uncomfortable doing it, I think that's your answer. My friend had a great mental guide as to what to eat/drink while pregnant: would you give it to a 2 year old? It works for anything from alcohol to highly fatty foods to too much sugar :)
  • Options
    @fashiongirlsteph That's me. It doesn't bother me when others do it, but I think the guilt would get to me!
  • Options
    I personally abstain (as per the AAP, NIH, CDC and ACOG recommendations) because studies show pregnant women metabolize alcohol at a slower rate than non pregnant women and a safe level hasn't been established (no judgement, but to me it's not worth the risk, but I wasn't really a drinker to begin with). To the original poster- If you feel uncomfortable doing it, I think that's your answer. My friend had a great mental guide as to what to eat/drink while pregnant: would you give it to a 2 year old? It works for anything from alcohol to highly fatty foods to too much sugar :)
    The whole "would you give it to a 2 year old" is completely different when pregnant. By the time the alcohol reaches the baby it's not the same % or quantity. Yes, some alcohol does reach baby, but it can't be compared on what you would feed your 2 year old.
    I would allow a small child to taste alcohol anyway. It is customary in my culture to allow children to take small amounts of wine on occasion. I grew up doing it and I'm one of the few people I knew growing up that didn't binge drink or see it as a big deal at all. 

And looking back over my life, I performed quite well. So it didn't seem to have any effects on me whatsoever. 

I just refuse to be That Kind of mom.. I refuse to be in panic mode for the rest of my life. 

I'm from the UK and my parents were a lot more relaxed around alcohol. I would get given a very watered down, very small glass of red wine with Sunday dinner, probably from about 4 years old and onwards, if I asked for it. And my dad let me finish the dribble of beer left in the bottom of the can after he poured it into his glass on a Saturday afternoon.

I've grown up with a very healthy view on alcohol. I've never had to sneak it at home like other teenagers. If I wanted a drink I only had to ask for one when I was a teenager.

I know my mum had the odd tipple here and there when she was pregnant with me and I'm very successful. I have an MBA.

• Options
    Why is it that we are all moms to be but we still judge each other and comment like snarky high schoolers? She asked a simple question, is it really necessary to be sarcastic and judgmental, not only to her but each other. Come on, we are all obviously mature enough to have children so act like it, for heavens sake. I'm 15 weeks and had a 1/2 glass of wine with dinner, I don't think I'll be doing it again though, just because I felt guilty afterwards! Most OBs say it's okay to occasionally have 1/2 glass to a glass a week.

You should lurk more and get the feel of the board.  This might not be the place for you.  Sarcasm is the norm here. 
  • Options
    I had a glass of wine here and there while pregnant, enjoyed slowly with a meal. Baby girl is fine.

OP, even on the mobile app you can use the search function. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the board and there it is. You're welcone.
  • Options
    AlyllyraAlyllyra member
    edited June 2015

Come on. Can people not really go without it for 40 weeks? And having champagne when you find out you're pregnant? Eek.

*snip* Actually in europe they believe mild consumption benefits the baby and the mother

---qbf---

This argument always come up, and I never understand why. See, I live in Europe. Sweden, to be precise. And the recommendation here is NO alcohol in any form during pregnancy. At the first meeting at the OBs office, they let you watch a 5 min film about the damages that alcohol can cause in a growing fetus. So no, the whole of Europe is not the same. Not every country has the same recommendations regarding alcohol.
  • Options
    Alyllyra said:
    Come on. Can people not really go without it for 40 weeks? And having champagne when you find out you're pregnant? Eek.
    *snip* Actually in europe they believe mild consumption benefits the baby and the mother
    ---qbf--- This argument always come up, and I never understand why. See, I live in Europe. Sweden, to be precise. And the recommendation here is NO alcohol in any form during pregnancy. At the first meeting at the OBs office, they let you watch a 5 min film about the damages that alcohol can cause in a growing fetus. So no, the whole of Europe is not the same. Not every country has the same recommendations regarding alcohol.

To be fair, when I talk about Europe, I am talking about the countries I am familiar with. My apologies because you're right. Europe is a huge place and has a lot of varying opinions on this subject. I am not familiar with Sweden but not surprised since my friend, who is Swedish, also didn't drink and made a point of talking about how she felt it was not safe.
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited July 2015
    Btw, moms who do choose to have a glass of wine, be aware that it will hit you HARD. You may feel like you're eating for two but you are definitely not drinking for two. 

Drink it slowly and with food. I personally recommend that if you drink any, keep it at a half glass. A full glass was far too much and half of it went down the sink. 
  • Options
    AlyllyraAlyllyra member
    edited July 2015

Alyllyra said:

---qbf---

This argument always come up, and I never understand why. See, I live in Europe. Sweden, to be precise. And the recommendation here is NO alcohol in any form during pregnancy. At the first meeting at the OBs office, they let you watch a 5 min film about the damages that alcohol can cause in a growing fetus. So no, the whole of Europe is not the same. Not every country has the same recommendations regarding alcohol.

To be fair, when I talk about Europe, I am talking about the countries I am familiar with. My apologies because you're right. Europe is a huge place and has a lot of varying opinions on this subject.

I am not familiar with Sweden but not surprised since my friend, who is Swedish, also didn't drink and made a point of talking about how she felt it was not safe.

-----Edit: damn quote box fail!

Thank you for clarifying :)

Just because I'm curious, which countries are you familiar with? I think many of the European countries are now leaning towards recommending pregnant women not to drink, but I also know that some will fight for it tooth and nail (looking at you, France, lol).
  • Options
    I live in Spain, land of cured meats and red wine. DH and I are pretty big wine consumers. My Dr says wine is fine in moderation. I really haven't been wanting any so I haven't had a glass since we found out about LO. I do however have a sip here and there to toast to things. If I do have a sudden urge for a glass I would have a small one. It's a very personal choice.

I can't believe so many have slammed the girl who is abstaining about being judgy. Her misspelling the word "alcohol" made me way more irate!
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited July 2015
    rmarie13 said:
    I live in Spain, land of cured meats and red wine. DH and I are pretty big wine consumers. My Dr says wine is fine in moderation. I really haven't been wanting any so I haven't had a glass since we found out about LO. I do however have a sip here and there to toast to things. If I do have a sudden urge for a glass I would have a small one. It's a very personal choice. I can't believe so many have slammed the girl who is abstaining about being judgy. Her misspelling the word "alcohol" made me way more irate!
    Spain too? Similarly I'm thinking France. 

I also know (personally, not professionally) a german doctor who says the zero tolerance on alcohol is just silly and that her colleagues share her opinion. I can't say for sure anything of the opinions of Germany at large however. 

Nobody takes any issue with somebody choosing to abstain. To drink AT ALL (forget pregnancy even) is a personal choice and it's not going to hurt anybody if you choose not to have any. The only posts I have taken issue with is those that ALL BUT USE THE WORDS "bad mother" or "Oh my god, I can't understand how anybody WHO LOVES THEIR BABY would.."

Passive aggressive people drive me bananas. We all see through it. So you might as well say what you're really thinking rather than hide it behind that kind of silliness.