Baby Names
Options

honestly...would this be a terrible thing to do?

Would it be terrible to have a sibling set be Miriam and Moses? You know...since they are actually siblings in the Bible. I have asked before, but now am finally pregnant and I actually need a name to go with DD's name Miriam. If she had been a boy we would have named her Moses.....we didn't have any other names on our boy list! So would you side eye someone for doing this combination?

Re: honestly...would this be a terrible thing to do?

• Options
    I wouldn't have known that Miriam and Moses were siblings, so not weird to me.
  • Options
    I wouldn't side eye it but I'd think you were very religious because both scream Old Testament.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I might side eye a little. It's pretty theme-y to go for alliteration and Biblical sibling references. Maybe not as obvious as like Mary and Martha, but still a little questionable.
  • Options
    I don't particularly love it. How about a different Biblical name that starts with M? Micah, Malachi, Matthew... Drawing a blank right now. Or use Moses for a MN instead?
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:
    I am not very religious so I didn't know they were siblings BUT I do think Moses is a HUGE name to be given.  It's very religious and screams it to both religious and non religious people and while I think there are many great biblical names out there I think Moses is just to much. Miriam is lovely though BTW.  
    All of this.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    I like Miriam. Moses is a bit much though. There are less loaded M names.

Malachi
    Mark
    Matthias
    Mordecai

• Options
    I don't get the biblical connection, but I immediately thought of Gwyneth Paltrow naming her son Moses. Just seems kind of Hollywood-ish to me since she did that. But I think it's a neat name. But I agree with PP, it is a big name to live up to.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    Yes it is a bit much

• Options
    saham07saham07 member
    edited June 2015
    bbiutmcph said:
    I am not very religious so I didn't know they were siblings BUT I do think Moses is a HUGE name to be given.  It's very religious and screams it to both religious and non religious people and while I think there are many great biblical names out there I think Moses is just to much. Miriam is lovely though BTW.  

I think that naming your child Noah started out like this^^^ but now it is accepted as a biblical name and just a name. I say go for it.....P.S. Moses nn Mose was my great-grandfathers name.
  • Options
    I'm a fairly religious person and I didn't put that together. I don't side eye Old Testament names paired like this because they can reflect a few cultures and religions. (If you were using Jebadiah and Jedediah or something like that, I might be cranky at you.) Religion isn't just belief for many people; it can be integral to ethnic culture. If you think those names reflect your family heritage then go for it.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options
    I wouldn't at all but I am very in to my faith and relationship with God.
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I didn't know people named their sons Moses.
  • Options
    holli0801holli0801 member
    edited June 2015
    I didn't know they were biblical siblings but I just don't like the name Moses. Sorry.
  • Options
    I like the idea, but I'm a big fan of Biblical names! (That said, I'm not planning to use any Biblical names, because most of them are very common, and the ones that aren't common are weird. I think you have a winner on both counts with Moses, though!)

@saham07 I think you're right about Noah. The OP can be ahead of the curve!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am not a fan of Moses, it's a big name to live up to. I do think there are other names that would pair nicely with Miriam.

How about:
    Asher
    Benjamin
    Caleb
    Daniel
    Gideon
    Levi
    Joshua
    Nathaniel
    Saul
    Zachary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I think it's strange that people think it's a big name to live up to, but people name their children Paul, David, Joshua, Joseph, etc... All important Biblical figures that I would say were of the same "caliber" as Moses, and no one bats an eye at those... I think it's just because those names are more common.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I didn't know they were biblical siblings. Not a fan of Moses. I do like Micah better.