2nd Trimester
Options

ScH (hemorrhage of placenta)/subchorionic bleeding

StefmDekStefmDek member
edited May 2015 in 2nd Trimester
I am 16 weeks, I started bleeding yesterday morning and went to the ER. I was diagnosed with a hematoma of the placenta and threatened miscarriage. The Dr. in the ER was not an OB and because its memorial day weekend needless to say she couldn't contact any on call (no one answered) so she spoke to a Dr from a different location that she doesn't know. She didn't tell me how big it was, but I am pretty much worried to death that it wont absorb or go away, and if it grows or gets bigger my baby won't make it. I am on pelvic rest, until I can see my OB Tuesday morning..  I don't know what will happen, but I am so scared. I am scared to sleep on the wrong side, eat the wrong thing.. I am anemic too so I am not sure how that will affect it. I am just a nervous wreck and will be until it goes away.  Does anyone know anyone who had one and made it through it?  If you did, how long did it take for it to go away if it did..?  Was there anything you could do to help it?  I am so clueless, even my years in medical assisting I never dealt with this (I worked in a family practice not OB office..) I am just scared, worried and trying to relax but its pretty impossible when I take care of 3 adults and 2 children. EVERYONE works and I am home alone all day every day, I take care of the house, kids, dishes, cook, college.  There really isn't a way to relax, and I have no family near by because I just moved to another state :(   I just need some input.. it might help me relax some. 

35 Weeks with Baby Boy #3 

Jace Thomas- 2 years old and Zachary William 5 years old!

Re: ScH (hemorrhage of placenta)/subchorionic bleeding

• Options
    I have no experience with what you're dealing with but I had to reply to your post..... sending positive thoughts your way!
  • Options
    I've never had that particular reason for a miscarriage, but I've had 6, though none this late. I do know you need to rest. Sounds like it's time for those 3 adults to pull together and find a way to help you through this. You see your OB on Tuesday morning - that's 2 days away, not even. It's Memorial Day weekend, so someone should be home, right? You need to rest right now, just as if you had the flu or pneumonia or whatever, you're medically not well. Others need to step in, divide up the tasks however they can and let go what isn't necessary and get it done. 

That' being said, I've read some conflicting information online about it, and even some of the analyses I've read say that the information is controversial at best, but I did find a recent study (October 2013) on a reputable medical site that may put your mind at ease a little bit. If you want more medical information, PubMed is a good resource. Forget the Medscape type sites, they're written too generally and not updated enough with the current research. A couple I found on there did find some increased risk, but the increase was 12% in one and the other analyzed the data differently, but basically the ER is giving you the worst case scenario. Did they tell you that this is a relatively common condition? That the majority of pregnancies with SCH have normal outcomes? I am not by any means suggesting that you ignore advice and get up and try to get a bunch of chores done, but I am saying relax and don't agonize over every single movement you make. 

Here are some of my references if you want them:

Here is an online support group if you're interested in talking to other women in the same situation right now. It seems pretty active.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You need to rest.  You have to force yourself to sit down and rest your pelvis.  Stay off of your feet.  Do not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk.  I have known a few women who have had them and they turned out to be just fine.  Actually one of them bled her entire pregnancy after the hemorrhage started and by 'bled' I mean she clotted and filled pads her entire 2nd half of pregnancy.  She delivered a beautiful baby.  The others I have known have been short term hemorrhages that repaired themselves within a couple of weeks to a month.  The worst thing you can do is stress.  I know it's easier said than done.  Since the doctor that saw you is NOT an OB, you can take the 'threatened miscarriage' with a grain of salt.  You have to see an OB to have a real diagnosis like that.  Leave the dishes to be dirty.  Leave the laundry to be cleaned later.  Leave the house to be messy.  Let everyone else in the house pick up the slack.  Just take care of yourself and that beautiful life that is growing inside of you.  All attention should be on YOU!  Breathe, relax, keep your feet up, eat well, drink lots of water.  Pregnancy is one of THE scariest times in a woman's life.  Try to be extra kind to yourself.  Muwaaah!!

• Options
    blush64blush64 member
    I had one with my daughter and everything turned out fine. I found out early but it didn't go away until quite late in pregnancy. They aren't incredibly common but they aren't uncommon. The risk of miscarriage does increase but according to the doctors I spoke to and everything I read the majority of women who have one will not miscarry.

I have had doctors say threatened miscarriage when I had bleeding during pregnancy. I was also told that before they found my SCH. Hopefully your OB can talk to you about everything and reassure you.

Some doctors and studies say bed rest but some doctors and studies have found bed rest really won't help. Just follow the advice you were given. I was advised pelvic rest as well meaning no sex and no internal exams other than that I was allowed to continue on with life as usual. (Caring for kids, working etc) At first I did rest a bit more than usual because I was scared but I did get back in to my regular routine. I didn't try to do more than was comfortable but I lived my life normally.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry just follow doctors orders by way of pelvic rest. I'm 18 weeks with my first and I have had a SCH since week 12. I had bleeding and was scared to death as well but the bleed has been slowly getting smaller and smaller. Just he patient and rest up!
  • Options
    I started bleeding very bad at six weeks and and was diagnosed with a sub chronic hematoma that was 4cm. I was put on bed rest for five weeks and bled on and off for about three. Needless to say it was very scary, I'm pregnant with twins and had suffered a previous loss at 10 weeks. The clot was completely gone by 11 weeks. I'm 20 weeks today and both babies are doing great! Stay off your feet as much as possible and try not to stress too much (I know that's much easier said than done). These are much more common than I would've ever thought and most turn out just fine.
  • Options
    I know how scary it can be. You NEED help. Being terrified of every movement is awful and my heart goes out to you. Be careful with the kids. Don't worry if they are upset you can't lift them or play etc
  • Options
    Hey guys, sorry i haven't been on in a while. Well I am at week 19 today. I am scheduled for an ultrasound on June 18th. Don't know if its gone or if its bigger still. I haven't bled since so I guess thats good.
    Since my Doctors didn't put me on any rest or restrictions, or answer my questions, I have been worried that I might have made it worse by doing something. Won't know for a week though.. 
    I called the office and INSISTED they tell me how big it was, they said it was 5cm, and that was the same week I was diagnosed with it.  I am not on pelvic rest, or bed rest.. the Doctor acted like it was nothing. I started cramping and found out I had a UTI, which was awful because my Doctor's partner who I saw Dr Megeehee didn't even tell me I had it, and didn't give me antibiotics, so it moved to my bladder. Went in with the cramps and MY Dr, told me I had it and was shocked that he didn't give me any meds. I am starting to question my doctors... If they won't tell me I have a UTI, they could be doing anything wrong with the hematoma. Thing is, I live in the middle of nowhere in Alabama and I don't have choices of hospitals. I just moved here last September and I really don't know the reputation of the hospital or the hospital in general.  Its kind of scary.

35 Weeks with Baby Boy #3 

Jace Thomas- 2 years old and Zachary William 5 years old!

• Options
    StefmDek said:

I am 16 weeks, I started bleeding yesterday morning and went to the ER. I was diagnosed with a hematoma of the placenta and threatened miscarriage. The Dr. in the ER was not an OB and because its memorial day weekend needless to say she couldn't contact any on call (no one answered) so she spoke to a Dr from a different location that she doesn't know. She didn't tell me how big it was, but I am pretty much worried to death that it wont absorb or go away, and if it grows or gets bigger my baby won't make it. I am on pelvic rest, until I can see my OB Tuesday morning..  I don't know what will happen, but I am so scared. I am scared to sleep on the wrong side, eat the wrong thing.. I am anemic too so I am not sure how that will affect it. I am just a nervous wreck and will be until it goes away.  Does anyone know anyone who had one and made it through it?  If you did, how long did it take for it to go away if it did..?  Was there anything you could do to help it?  I am so clueless, even my years in medical assisting I never dealt with this (I worked in a family practice not OB office..) I am just scared, worried and trying to relax but its pretty impossible when I take care of 3 adults and 2 children. EVERYONE works and I am home alone all day every day, I take care of the house, kids, dishes, cook, college.  There really isn't a way to relax, and I have no family near by because I just moved to another state :(   I just need some input.. it might help me relax some. 

I had this my last pregnancy size doesn't really matter... You would think big I'd bad small is ok but doc said many times other way around my was big and baby made it 32 weeks it can eventually absorb back to placenta and heal itself... Deff take it easy and do anything you can to avoid stress... Blessings to you and baby!
  • Options
    I had one at 5 weeks and they told me the same things. And they told me by 20 weeks the baby can absorb it, mine went away at 10 weeks. So don't freak out too much just take it easy. Like have people baby you and take it easy
  • Options
    I had a large one, gone by 15 weeks :)
    However, at 16w3d, I still have placenta previa.

update us when you can.
  • Options
    I have 3 girls 18,15 & 10 years old. All born very early at 27 weeks, 27 weeks, (angel baby boy, born asleep) 23+6 weeks & 26 weeks. So l knew it'd be a stressful pregnancy, just not this early. I was told at 5 weeks that baby had implanted on a previous c section scar & will probably have to terminate the pregnancy, I had to go back the following day for a scan with the consultant. He said it was just above & I could continue. since then I've had many bleeding episodes. I was told at 9 weeks I had an extremely large cyst on one of my ovaries, they said if it hasn't shrunk by my 12 week scan I may have to have surgery to remove it whilst I'm still pregnant. Well a week later I had large bleed with clots & my scan showed the cyst had popped & that's what the bleeding was. I then had more bleeding. On the 25th July I woke at 1:45am to what looked like a scene from a horror film. I rushed to A & E they did bloods & kept me in. They did an internal & said that my os is open & my placenta was poking through it (I have complete placenta previa) . They told me I was having a miscarriage. The following day it settled down a bit, I'm constantly bleeding. I'm on bedrest for the foreseeable future. I've been told if I'm still bleeding like this they'll deliver baby at 23/24 weeks. I'm now 17+3 weeks & stressed out. I have to see my consultant every week now. I've got an infection because of the bleeding they don't know if it's a urine infection or an infection in my uterus. I'm on antibiotics to cover both. I hope all goes well for you xox