Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

How Long Did You Wait to Try Again?

I was a little over 5 weeks at my first OB appointment yesterday. When I went to do the urine sample, I noticed I had started spotting. Obviously I was a little uneasy with that, and shortly after began to experience cramping. The doctor came in and asked me when I took my pregnancy test because my urine showed that I was not pregnant. After running another test, as well as blood tests, he confirmed that I was pregnant - 5 weeks or so. We did an ultrasound and I was able to see the sac. The cramping and bleeding got worse and worse throughout the night. After speaking with him this morning, he said they rushed my blood samples and all my levels were very low and unfortunately I miscarried. I've been heavily bleeding and clotting for the last day and a half, with no signs of it slowing down. Emotionally, I'm heartbroken. How long does this typically take to run its course? And how long did you wait to try and conceive again? And were you successful the second time around?

With this being my first pregnancy, it's very difficult. I don't just want a baby, I wanted that baby. Trying to get through the pain that is inevitable.
Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19

Re: How Long Did You Wait to Try Again?

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss :(  Regarding when you can try again, I would ask your doctor.  Since you were only 5 weeks and it happened naturally, you may be able to try right away.  I know that when you are farther along and/or have a D&C, the typical advice is to wait two cycles. 

Regarding how long it takes to be successful, I've had 2 miscarriages (both with D&C's) and am now pregnant again. So I've had 3 pregnancies in 13 months. If you were able to get pregnant fairly easily the first time, having a miscarriage shouldn't affect your future fertility. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both so much. KMKaiser07, I absolutely know that I will see my sweet baby in heaven, and it means so much to have people walk this journey that believe that as well. I actually work at a church, and it's been really encouraging to have people to talk to and pray over me. Doesn't make it any easier, but prayers are coveted during this time. I'm so sorry for both of your losses. It's one of those things you just never think could happen to you. I seem to be okay passing everything naturally, and am really fortunate not to have the D&C. Thank you for your kind words. It means SO much to have others who have walked this journey.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for you're loss. I just recently and am still going through some light bleeding after miscarriage. I started bleeding lightly with no clots for two weeks also no cramps or lower back pain. Then one afternoon my back started hurting badly, then I started cramping but not bad and then I started really bleeding. The baby actually was one of the first things to come out, after that it was all large chunks of clots and tissue and blood, a lot of blood (sorry if TMI) it started around 10pm and everything stopped around 4:55am the next morning. I went to the Dr the next day and I passed everything on my own. It's now two days later and I'm bleeding very lightly (not enough to fill a pad in a day) and occasionally I get cramps or lower back pain (not as bad as when I miscarried, but they're a bit uncomfortable). Dr said that's normal for up to 4-6 weeks because as my HCG levels go down the lining of my uterus is getting thinner and shedding some blood until my HCG levels go back to being negative. Now that's just me, everyone's body handles miscarriage differently. I've read some women don't even bleed because they're body absorbs EVERYTHING back into itself. My sister in law bleed heavy off and on for about 2 weeks with her miscarriage. Hopefully you'll start feeling better ASAP! Again so sorry for your loss!! This one was my first also and it's definitely an experience no one should have to go through.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I suffered an early miscarriage at the beginning of February. After that I got a BFP at the end of March. I've been told and I have read that it's easier to get pregnant after a miscarriage because hormones are high although I don't know if there is any medical truth to that.

I will say my doc would not allow us to have sex until blood work confirmed my HCG was at 0 after the miscarriage.

I personally just suffered my second loss and will be waiting to try again. I am not in the mental state to go through another loss so quickly after two back to back but it is definitely a personal decision. We were ready after the first loss but after this one we need more time. Best of luck!
  • Options
    So sorry you're having to go through this. We had 3 mc before we had our daughter, and now this is our 2nd while ttc. With the others we waited nearly a year between trying, but with this one i thinkbwe will try again after the first cycle
  • Options
    I'm in day 3 of my miscarriage and then gonna schedule a follow up exam with my doctor next week. I'll probably wait till I have a period after the miscarriage to try again, unless my doctor tells me to wait longer hoping he won't say to wait longer. I'm really wanting to start trying after this is done with. But each person is different.
  • Options
    I am interested in everyone's answers here... I just had a d&c yesterday... I would have been 8 weeks pg... Although we never saw a heartbeat.. So it doesn't look as if they (there were 3 sacs.) grew passed 5 weeks.. My doctor told me the generic "it's best to wait til you have 3 full cycles".. Followed with..." I have seen many get pregnant earlier and have healthy babies....so I won't be mad at you of you come back pregnant earlier. "... Take that as you will... All I know right now.. Is that she sent some 'matter' off to pathology for labs... Hopefully that will tell me something and maybe help to make the decision on when to try again... It was my first pregnancy.. And I'm 35...so definitely don't want to have to wait too long. My thoughts and prayers are with you all going though the same things...
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    @deegurl13 I hope you're getting plenty of rest and lots of warm food. I'm so sorry for your loss. I just came back from my doctor but due to a missed miscarriage, it had been too long and they couldn't revive (culture?) the tissue. My doc told me to wait 2 cycles so I'm waiting too.

I hope your results are better than mine and your period comes soon. I'll turn 35 in 3 months myself. Hope we can come back to Bump with happy pregnancies.  
  • Options
    I was 38 when I had my MC in December at 12 weeks. My doctor recommended waiting "a few" cycles before trying again. I did wait mostly because I needed time to recover emotionally. If I could warn you of one thing it's this. Every period that came after we did start trying was like losing all over again. Just make sure you will be able to "handle" it if you don't immediately get pregnant.
  • Options
    @kimey1 I certainly hope to see you back on the bump too.. Today was emotionally harder than the last... Thank God for my husband for just understanding that I need to cry.. After the d&c... I felt strong, but I am realizing the grieving period has only just begun. The emotions are all over... But with faith, I know I will be okay.. And I hope that these few 'waiting' months turn into amazing times with ourselves and our husbands...Good luck to you all...
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    @deegurl13 Totally... Only after getting over physical pain did I get that the emotional part began.
    Hurray for hubbies for being there for us. I also think they feel relief in seeing us cry because sometimes they want to but can't or don't know when it's ok to.
  • Options
    Just saw my ob today. Got final confirmation that we lost our LO and I'm scheduled for a D&C on sat. My doc said to wait until my first period to start trying again. She said it could be possible not to get a period for a couple months, so if there's no period after 2 months that it would be ok to start.
    Lots of good vibes ladies
  • Options
    I got my period 5w1d post mc. That was a few days ago. We are going to start right away. It took us 1 yr for this baby to happen so hopefully it won't be that long this time!!