March 2015 Moms
Options

Choking Baby

Baby and I had a really big scare today. She was with me in the bathroom sitting in her rock and play while I was getting ready for the day. She threw up, so I picked her up and she choked on some of the vomit. I didn't know what to do and I was so shaky. Her face and her eyes were so red and sometimes a deeper reddish purple. She would try to draw a breath, but then make a gagging sound and her face would stay frozen with her mouth open and her eyes wide - not breathing. I hit her back while holding her upright and then I tried laying her belly down across my legs while also hitting her back. After about a half an hour, her breathing seemed to stabilize, but she was still coughing. I called her pediatrician and I was advised to take her to the emergency room. They monitored her oxygen and they checked her lungs to make sure there was nothing still in there. Her oxygen was good the whole time we were there. It was a very scary experience, and I'm so thankful to have her in my arms healthy right now.

Going forward, I'm really scared. Already have a hard time putting her down in her crib at night because I'm afraid that she's going to choke. Now, I don't imagine I'm going to put her down for awhile.

Thanks for listening. Sorry for the novel.
Pregnancy Ticker
For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

Re: Choking Baby

• Options
    I know exactly what you went through. My little girl did the exact same thing and even was turning blue! Which I imagine isn't hard for her to do because of her heart problems. It has been almost week now and I am still scared to let her sleep in her crib (but she is anyways).
  • Options
    How old is your baby @noodlienoodles?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh my lord! So very scary! I'm so sorry! This made me tear up!
  • Options
    How terrifying!!!! I just said to my husband the other day that I think we should learn baby CPR in case of an emergency. I can't imagine how panicked and sick you must have felt. I'm glad your babies are okay though!
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the support! I'm still really on edge and I hope my nerves will calm down soon.

@hollyanne85 I'm sorry to hear your little one went through that! So traumatic. :(

@SharLovesAlex She will be six weeks on Friday.

@erwallace089 It's hard not to tear up when it comes to the littles. :(

@gdamore11 Baby CPR sounds like a really good idea. I'm thankful that I had watched a video on it to know how to put her across my lap.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    dreyes4dreyes4 member
    Im so sorry u had to go through that. At my hospital that made us take infant cpr.classes before we left, but if i was in ur position i probably wouldnt be able to remember them.
  • Options
    NLB2009NLB2009 member
    We were told to try blowing in their mouth if this happens. So far we haven't needed to try it, thank god. Glad your LO is okay.
  • Options
    NLB2009 said:

We were told to try blowing in their mouth if this happens. So far we haven't needed to try it, thank god. Glad your LO is okay.

Thanks for the tip!

Do you mean blowing like cpr, or something lighter?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    So scary! Every time I hear baby cough I panic and worry he's gonna aspirate....
  • Options
    aprilk86 said:

So scary! Every time I hear baby cough I panic and worry he's gonna aspirate....

It's so hard not to worry! I was feeling really good and comfortable with taking care of a newborn lately, but now I'm back at square one. Watching baby like a hawk!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    akj166akj166 member
    Sooooo scary!! I can't imagine how you feel but I am so glad baby is safe:)
  • Options

NLB2009 said:

Thanks for the tip!

Blow like you're going to blow out a candle. Maybe just a touch harder. When my daughter hasn't nursed for a while, when she does sometimes she gags herself trying to drink to fast. I don't blow in her mouth, just on her face and she catches her breath right away. I didn't hear this from a dr or anything. Just my grandma , but it works :)
  • Options
    kfooy1kfooy1 member
    It's so scary to imagine but glad your little one is okay!!! I still have the moments of panic when I hear a funny noise from my little guy, I wish there was a magic trick to keep them safe all the time!
  • Options

NLB2009 said:

Thanks for the tip!

Blow like you're going to blow out a candle. Maybe just a touch harder. When my daughter hasn't nursed for a while, when she does sometimes she gags herself trying to drink to fast. I don't blow in her mouth, just on her face and she catches her breath right away. I didn't hear this from a dr or anything. Just my grandma , but it works :)
    Oh wow! I'm happy to hear that works for your dauhhter. I'll have to try that if this happens again (please, no!)

Thank you!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My LO got strangled from spitting up twice and it was really thick and coming out of her nose too so she couldn't breathe. I used the syringes to suction out her nose and mouth to get everything out. It is very scary to go through especially when they have that panicked look on their faces
  • Options
    chelsco13 said:

My LO got strangled from spitting up twice and it was really thick and coming out of her nose too so she couldn't breathe. I used the syringes to suction out her nose and mouth to get everything out. It is very scary to go through especially when they have that panicked look on their faces

Ugh! I hate it! I'm happy you were able to get her all good again. I did try the syringe too, but it seemed as though it wasn't helping. Maybe I gave up too quick?

Fingers crossed you and LO don't have to go through that again!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @noodlienoodles I hope you don't have to have that kind of scare again.
  • Options

NLB2009 said:

Thanks for the tip!

I do this too. My LO hasn't for real choked to the point where he's purple, but he often sputters and gags on my letdown and has a hard time catching his breath. I saw a nurse use this with DS1 after getting his first round of shots. He was holding his breath (you know when their crying hysterically and go silent). He was turning really purple and wouldn't draw a breath, so she told me to blow in his face. He immediately reacted and took a deep breath and calmed a bit. So I've adopted the technique ever since! It helps for these minor things.

I've never had to do infant cpr, but I'm glad the hospital made me watch the video on that and the Heimlich maneuver before they'd discharge with DS1. I had to infant heimlich DS1 once when he was choking on a baby puff at like 8 months old. Glad your LO is ok!

• Options
    So glad your LO is ok. Like others have described, my daughter will sometimes choke on my milk or while bottle feeding. I'm trained in CPR as a health professional, but even having the knowledge it is so scary to watch your LO struggle to breathe or catch her breath! Glad things turned out ok and I hope you're able to stop worrying (within reason, of course!).
  • Options
    The same thing happened to my baby and when I saw that I wasn't able to clear her airway, I called 911! On the way downstairs, I tripped on the last step with the baby in my arms and that like cleared it some how lol. She started breathing after that. By the time the ambulance got to my house, she was completely fine. I on the other hand had a bump on my forehead, a busted lip, and a loose tooth. That day, I bough a "snuza" which clips onto the diaper and monitors breathing.
  • Options
    So glad all is well - that must have been terrifying. Thank you though for sharing as it has made me (and I'm sure others) look more seriously into learning CPR and Heimlich procedures for infants. Hopefully you never have another scare like that again!
  • Options
    LcastoLcasto member
    Do you have one of those angel baby monitors? You lay it under their crib and it monitors breathing.. If breathing stops while sleeping, it signals an alarm I believe. Might give you a little piece of mind laying baby down at night?
  • Options
    @kelseypie A baby puff!! The possibilities as endless - can't wait for my LO to get in to the dog food - so much to watch out for! I'm happy you were able to use the Heimlich on your baby boy.

@AGM0616 I'm starting to settle back down. Although, I haven't let baby out of my sight for the past two days. Hah

@Brittanytl Oh goodness! The stumble must have made what was in there dislodge. Sorry to hear of all your scrapes and bruises, but I sure am happy that baby is ok! I'll definitely have to look into the snuza. Thank you!

@Melodie001 I didn't think it was something that would happen to my baby! Not arrogantly, I just hadn't thought of her choking on vomit. :( I'm happy you found my story useful!

@Lcasto I seriously think I need one. I really am too afraid to put her down. I hate it. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

Does anyone have a Moses basket type thing that is put in bed to keep LO extra close? I want to get one, but I'm not sure.

https://m.target.com/p/baby-delight-snuggle-nest-napper-with-surround-sound/-/A-14241320?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14241320&CPNG=Baby&kpid=14241320&LID=9pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14241320&kpid=14241320&gclid=CJKfvebxsMUCFcIXHwodvGsA6Q
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Instead of a Moses basket (which typically has solid sides) why don't you try a mesh-sided co sleeper? I haven't tried it but love the idea that LO can be right beside you on the bed and you can see her at eye level but no risk of accidental suffocation. Check out https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-infant-by-your-side-sleeper-modern-mosaic/6000156852092
  • Options

Instead of a Moses basket (which typically has solid sides) why don't you try a mesh-sided co sleeper? I haven't tried it but love the idea that LO can be right beside you on the bed and you can see her at eye level but no risk of accidental suffocation. Check out https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-infant-by-your-side-sleeper-modern-mosaic/6000156852092

Yes! That's exactly what I had in mind. Thank you :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    If not the above item, then search for a Sleepyhead - it can be used for co-sleeping and also to make baby more secure in a cot. Glad everything turned out okay after such a scare.
  • Options
    We have to be CPR certified at work, and during the infant portion our instructor said never to pat the back of a choking baby while upright becaise it knocks things loose but back down rather than out so they can breathe (gravity). Just a thought. So glad she is okay!!!
  • Options
    Infant Heimlich maneuver:
  • Options
    @Melodie001

I went out and got that co-sleeper that you suggested. It's amazing! I can see baby right next to me and hear her breathing. It's such a huge weight off my chest.

Thank you!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    So glad you love it! Here's to many peaceful nights - for both you and baby!