Baby Names
Options

Coby Grace for girl?

We're thinking of using Coby Grace if we have a daughter, because those were first names of two of my great grandmothers (maternal side). At first I loved it! Now after hearing family members complain about weird names these days, I'm worried they'll hate it. Thoughts?

Re: Coby Grace for girl?

• Options
    To me Coby is all boy, and not a particularly good masculine name at that.

Historically, Coby is a diminutive of Jacob, or it's feminine forms; Jacoba, Jacobina, Jacobine. 

Of these, Jacoba has been a given name about as much as Coby. Neither is particularly popular, though Coby for a boy has been in pretty consistent, though low (again, it's a diminutive) through the years.

So. Were your grandmothers actually named Coby, or was Coby a nickname for Jacoba? Regardless, I would put Coby (or Jacoba) as the middle name. I like that it has family meaning to you, but it's really not that great of a name. 
  • Options
    As far as I know, Coby was her given name. Grace was the other great grandmother's name. Thanks for the info and the input!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why not grace coby?
  • Options
    I don't like Coby on a girl. Since it's a family name, use it in the middle spot.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    I really don't like Coby.
  • Options
    Ya Coby is all boy.

Since Grace won't be used on a daily basis she will be forever dealing with Mr. Last name and oh I thought you were a male and oh did your parents want a boy?

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    No. No. No. No. No.

Grace is great.
  • Options
    I agree with suggestion of Grace Coby. Grace is very underused as a first name, and you can still honor your grandmothers (which I think is a lovely thing to do). Coby has mostly masculine connotations, so you run the risk of people who see applications, resumes, etc. thinking she is a male. 
  • Options
    Coby is all boy to me.  I agree that if you are determined to use these two names, you should switch them.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Coby is typically seen as a boys name. However it can be either if that's what you want. With the Hebrew descent, Cobea (KOWBIYAH) could be her first name and you could call her Coby for short. Also you could make it a little more feminine Cobey, Cobi, Cobie (that is more feminine to me). My nickname is Andi, and everybody thought I was a boy when I was younger and my mom spelled it with an I instead of a Y for a more feminine spelling. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like it for a girl :/
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was going to suggest using the name Jacoba and then having the option of coby for a nickname. Tbh I would think it was a boy if I just saw the name coby on a form or resume
  • Options
    Coby is not a great name for a little girl. I second the suggestion of Grace Coby if you love both names.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    I agree, Grace Coby if you must otherwise not at all...Coby is all boy
  • Options
    I just don't like the sound of Coby, even for a boy. I love Grace for a first name and think it's underused as a fn (WAY over used mn). I would name her Grace and use a different great grandmother's name as a mn. Surely there's another winner in there somewhere.
  • Options
    I don't hate it, I think it's kinda cute actually, if you do a more feminine spelling as PPs have mentioned. Maybe Colbie?
  • Options
    Grace Coby. Agree with others that Coby is all boy. Love Grace!!!!
  • Options
    veckiaveckia member
    I'll be the odd one out and admit that I like Coby for a girl. It's unique and I don't minds boyish names for girls. Coby sounds like the kind of girl that is really cool and down to earth. Who cares if people see her resume and think she is a guy? It might give her an advantage!
  • Options
    Um, well....she might care when she walks in and a potential employer says "oh, I was expecting a man" or something along those lines. Not typically something people want to hear.
    So saying who cares is like writing off the kids feelings entirely.
  • Options
    I think the issue of the resume is null. If she cares she will list Coby Grace and no one would think otherwise.

I do hiring and there have been a few times I haven't know the gender of a person based on their name. It's never made a difference to me.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, was she Dutch? Coby was a pretty regular Dutch name for our grandmither's generation. Would sound very dated to Dutch ears now, though.

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• Options
    Yes she was 100% Dutch. And we're now considering Jacoba as the given name, Cobie as the nickname. Then she could decide what she likes better when she's older. I like that it's not often used, and my husband absolutely loves names that are used for both genders. So we'll probably end up with something that works like that anyway. Thanks again for everyone's honest opinions!!
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Coby and I feel like Grace is way overused in the mn spot.
  • Options
    I don't like it.
  • Options
    I know Coby is technically a masculine name, but I think it doesn't bother me as much because of Cobie Smulders from How I Met Your Mother. However on her Cobie is a nickname, short for Jacoba. I think Jacoba Grace NN Coby is a nice name and still pays homage to your grandmother!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think Jacoba is a great solution to this. Congrats!
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    I like Jacoba Grace NN Coby/Cobie. The NN may not grow well so having a nice, strong FN is a good idea.