Single Parents
Options

Single Moms - How Do You Do It?

Hello everyone,

I'm 24 years old and pregnant with my first. It was unplanned and the situation is VERY messy. I wanted to ask how do single moms do it? Spend enough time with your child and being able to financially provide. I'm trying to learn from the experienced any "tricks" or things you've learned along the way. If there are any programs available for single moms? I'm lucky because my family is extremely supportive, I just want to be able to provide for my child for myself and not always count on my family.

Re: Single Moms - How Do You Do It?

• Options
    Welcome to the board.  We do it for our kids, because it's what we have to do.  It's not easy.  My DD is almost 2, I have a BF who does help out but we don't live together so it's still all me.  I work full time and DD is in daycare M-F.

If you need help for daycare, you should google "subsidized daycare + [your state]" and you can get assistance for that based on your income as long as you choose a daycare that is on the list of approved daycare facilities.  Also, your child will need medical/dental insurance, you can sign up on www.allkidsinsurance.com for your LO.  I think that it covers your while your pregnant if you currently are not insured.  I would definitely go check that out.  If you need to, you can see if you're eligible for WIC.

I don't know what your situation is, but if you need a lawyer, you can call around and see if any are willing to take you on pro bono.

I am also lucky to have such a supportive family, and I will call on them if needed, but I try not to do that too often.  For the same reason, I want to be able to be the provider. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My parents helped me financially in the beginning so I could go to school and get my career started, but it feels so good to finally be financially independent! I also took advantage of subsidized daycare at times when she was young. My best tip for you in order to balance working and spending time with your daughter is to just drop your social life altogether. Something has to give, and that's it. You can pick up the pieces once your daughter is older.