July 2015 Moms
Options

Tell me your water breaking experience please!!!!

I am extremely intrigued by this. I had my bag broken in the hospital and thus never experienced the randomness of it breaking on its own. I keep envisioning mine breaking at work this time and it got me thinking about other people's experience. I would love to hear anyone's experience that is willing to share. Not really to learn anything, I just want to read some entertaining stories.

Re: Tell me your water breaking experience please!!!!

• Options
    Good post! I've often wondered how I'm going to be alerted that IT'S TIME TO GET TO THE HOSPITAL! I'm a FTM, so I can't wait to have the experience and memories.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Felt like I couldn't control my bladder and it just slowly leaked out over the course of a few hours
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    I had been given a "light" induction, a pill called miso and 4 hours after I took the first pill the nurse had come in to give me my second dose (at 4am!) and suddenly there was a huge gush of water in my lap! Conveniently timed with the nurse as she helped me get cleaned up and back in bed :)
  • Options
    I went to the hospital earlier in the day because of lower abdominal pain they gave me Tylenol and said go home. I'd been home about an hour and was sitting on the couch, I got up to pee and felt "water" gush down my legs. Something I didn't know was, it just keeps going I had changed but was soaked by time I made it to the hospital.
  • Options
    I was at home with my 4 year old and I was sitting on the couch. It felt almost like a strong kick with an almost pop feeling then I felt the wetness and knew what had happened. Luckily my husband got home from work 15 minutes later. Then my baby was born after 3 hrs
  • Options
    My SIL and good friend never had their water break until active labor! Supposedly labor feels less intense while waters are intact.

My water broke at midnight. I was asleep and woke up, thinking I had to pee so I got up and felt a trickle. Wasn't sure what was going one. Went to the restroom and laid back down. Sat back up 10 minutes later, and more trickle, so I called the doctor. My DD's head was so low, the bags couldn't full release at once in a gush like the movies show haha. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Haha this post is great.
  • Options
    Dr broke mine as part of induction- with this big hook thing (didn't hurt) there was so much and I also didn't know it continues to leak when you change position move around etc
  • Options
    nimble33nimble33 member
    edited April 2015
    My first was a trickle :( second had to be broken and the third gushed as I sat down from being examined lol fun times. :)
  • Options
    Was this post inspired by an email from "what to expect" by any chance? Haha
  • Options
    I was already pretty far along in labor. My contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, so we were getting ready to leave for the hospital. I went to the bathroom before we left because I knew I had to poop (and didn't want to during delivery lol I did anyways). Anywho, my water broke while I was on the toilet (very convenient I must say). Mine was just like a pop and a gush of water, and I actually didn't really trickle or leak afterwards. By the time i got to the hospital, I was fully dilated and ready to go.
  • Options
    Pop and gush right after my epidural was placed (I was 7cm dilated) after being induced
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
  • Options
    There was no pop for me I didn't even notice it. I had been in labor for 17 hrs and was kind of out of it when we finally left for the hospital. When I got up I realized my pants where soaked. At the hospital the dr said it was only partially broken and they broke my water the rest of the way for delivery.
  • Options
    They induced labor for me. And it was taking for ever they wanted to break my water but I said no and then they wanted to put a balloon thing I said hell no. I was afraid for anything to go in. Lol then I couldn't handle the pain so I got the epaderil so I was happy. The nurse came to check me after a while. And she says oh your water broke and it's the bloody show. I had no idea anything was going on down under. Lol this time around I hope my water breaks and I have to rush to the hospital like in the movies. Lol
  • Options
    @lindsaypkelly it wasn't, but now I am intrigued.
  • Options
    I started leaking with contractions , I had to sit on a towel, the baby's head was a barrier that kept the rest from coming on out. It didn't get fully emptied until I was 8 cm dialated with the help of my doctor.
  • Options
    Mine broke at 2 am after a bathroom run. I got back in bed and felt and heard the "Pop" ! I just started laughing and told my hubby. I got up and yes it was more like a fish since I had been laying down the baby was not plugging anything up. Hubby wanted to go back to sleep but the doc said we needed to get to the hospital. Contractions started coming within 20 minutes of it beaking. I am so glad someone told me she actually felt the pop of her water breaking because I would have been so confused otherwise since I was laying down. I'm sure I would have started leaking soon after but it was still helpful to know.
  • Options
    Felt a small pop and a little wetness as I was changing positions lying in bed with hubby watching a movie on the laptop.

I gasped and said uhhh I think my water just broke. (I was 5 days past due date) hubby thought I was messing with him lol

Went to the restroom and it gushed out.
    Contractions started and got really painful within an hour
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    With my first I was walking around in my robe when the door bell rang, I bent down to pick up a package that had been left and bam! My water broke... But it wasn't like what you see in movies where it's just a trickle of water, it was a full on waterfall I swear I stood there five minutes before I stopped! I tell everyone I was pretty sure I lost three buckets of fluid, thank goodness I was in the only non carpeted area of our home! No one was home at the time other than me and my dogs and I certainly didn't want them to get to it so I took like 5 beach towels and threw them over the mess (at this time my contractions had hit full force) and hopped in the shower before leaving for the hospital.
  • Options
    SanineSanine member
    edited April 2015
    I had a "premature rupture". I woke up at 430 am needing to go to the bathroom. I went and kept peeing just a little after I i knew i had stopped peeing. Went back to bed and felt the need to go again. I woke my husband up and said I think my water broke and he said " its OK, go back to sleep. We have time." After a few failed attempts to wake him, I fell asleep. I got up at 730 and I wasn't soaked, but was leaking fluid. I put on a pad, dh made arrangements for the oldest to go to grandma's and I think we stopped and got something to eat (drive thru).

I wasn't having contractions that I could feel, so I didn't feel rushed to go asap. We made it to the hospital around 10:30 am. At that point I was barely 1 cm dilated and was told my water did break, but since I was barely dilated, it was considered a premature rupture.

They ended up breaking my water again after 12 hours there and being put on pitocin. The contractions until then had been barely noticeable compared to after. Once the rest of the water was gone, OMFG, I felt like Wesley in Princess Bride when the Count had drained a year of Wesley's life away and asked how it felt.

Overall from the time I noticed my water broke until DS was born it was 30 hours.
  • Options
    I was already at 9cm when my water broke. I was laboring on the toilet (convenient) when I felt the pop and a big gush of water. I started to get the urge to push soon after that.
  • Options
    I thought I had wet myself and couldn't stop it! It was with my first and I had been induced and given IV pain meds so I wasn't all coherent about it. My husband cleaned it up. With the second I had just got the hospital and hooked up to the monitors. The nurse said the doc would probably send me home. She walked out of the room and I had a pop and the entire bed soaked! I told my husband and mother we ain't going anywhere! She was here 5 hours later!!
  • Options
    With DD1 I was induced so they broke my water artificially. With DD2 my water didn't go until I felt the urge to push and it felt a bit like giving birth to a water balloon very strange! I was in the birth pool at the time nice and relaxed but suddenly everything became a bit frantic as they were meconium stained- cue being dragged out of the pool and frantically wheeled (naked, partially covered by a sheet) to a standard delivery room where I had just about enough time to climb on the bed before she was born lol. I wouldn't say the pain was less intense though as she was OP presentation I found my second labour a lot more painful than my first x
  • Options
    DS1- they broke it when I was 8cm.
    DD- it broke right after I got an epidural . I believe I was 7cm .I was laying in need and a huge gush came out. I thought I was going to slide off the bed. Lol
    DS2- they broke my water at 8cm
    DS3- water broke when the nurse went to check me. It went everywhere......
  • Options
    I was in bed rest at 38 weeks. Went to bathroom and came back to lay down. Heard a pop sound and water was coming out. So I sat on a towel till my husband got home. No contractions. No pain. Went for a walk and stalled for 2 hrs before going into the hospital. I was 2cm dilated (which is basically nothing) so the had to start Piotocin (sp?) and I didn't have contractions till that kicked in. He was born about 15 hours after my water broke.
  • Options
    My water broke at 2 am while I was asleep, I woke up with the urge to pee (as usual) and when I sat up it gushed out - I stood next to the bed for a second crossing my legs at the ankle and trying to hold it in (lol) but it just kept leaking and leaking and it continued to leak all the way to the hospital - once I arrives there, they tested it to make sure it wasn't urine (puh-lease, I know if I'm peeing it not!) and then admitted me - but I wasn't having contractions yet, they were nervous for there to be some exposure to bacteria and infection setting in and whatnot so they sped up my labor and encouraged an epidural a little later since I wasn't progressing - we did end up having to have an emergency c-section after pushing for a good long time because both baby and I were not doing well, he was only a 3 on the apgar scale the first check and then rebounded to a 7 within a couple of minutes - we were both discharged 5 days later :) he was delivered around 10 am no complications after labor and delivery experience :)
  • Options
    My water has never broken on its own. With my first, they induced labor by breaking my water (I was 11 days overdue). Labor started immediately. With my second, I had labored since 6am and was starting to push just before 3pm and my water still wasn't breaking so they broke it for me while pushing since it was slowing me down.
    Interested to see what happens this time around with baby #3.
  • Options
    Mine broke while getting my epidural. Not a pleasant experience being told to sit really still with a needle in your back with fluid gushing out of you. But hey, no one said giving birth was enjoyable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went to the hospital after about 18 hours of early labor, once the contractions got to be 3-4 minutes apart consistently. They said I was 3cm dilated. I was so discouraged. I got to my room, went to use the bathroom, started shaking, threw up, and then a gush of water came out. I yelled at DH to get the nurse, stood up, more water gushed out, and maybe I threw up again. (They eventually gave me iv Zofran to stop the vomiting.) There was a third gush at some point thereafter. (My medical records refer to a "copious amount" of amniotic fluid. There was also meconium in my fluid.) Labor became extremely intense and the next time they checked I was 9cm dilated. DD was born about 3 hours after I checked in to the hospital. My water breaking was definitely the turning point from early labor to really active labor.

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    My water never gushed. This is the fourth pregnancy for me. My water "sprang a leak" with my first. It would trickle out if I moved... I went to take a bath and I could see it coming out a little into the water. I went to the hospital and they said that it was leaking. They broke it fully while I was there. With my second, the Dr broke that at my scheduled induction. With the third, I was going in that morning to be induced and as I was loading the gift baskets for the nurses into the car, my water began leaking. Again, it didn't gush... Felt more like I had peed a few drops on myself here and there. Once I got to the hospital, they confirmed it wasn't pee and ended up breaking my water a few hours into the pitocin. 
  • Options
    With my first, I had really bad insomnia in the third trimester and I would stay up all hours of the night playing euchre on yahoo. Well, one morning at 5 AM I had just laid down to try and get some sleep when I felt my pants get pretty damp. I smelled it to see if maybe it was just pee (even though I didn't have the urge to pee) and it smelled like bleach (the liquid that comes out when your water breaks will smell like bleach or cleaner) so I knew that my water had broke. I didn't get the "gush" until I was at the hospital and they started to poke and prod at me. I'm glad that I didn't though because that was a yucky mess! LOL

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kiddo #1: Water broke at 3am. I had woken up to pee, gone back to bed, and about 20 minutes later I felt a little *pop* and then my water gushed out.

Kiddo #2: Water was broken when I was 9.5cm dilated and had a lip of cervix left to open. As soon as my water broke, the lip moved and I was ready to push.
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• Options
    With my first they broke it for me too. With my second I in labor and delivery walking around the halls with my husband, mom, sister, and BIL and it started leaking. I froze and was like "I think I pissed myself". But then it was done so I figured I really had peed so I didn't say anything. I went back to my room, cleaned myself up then started bouncing around on my birthing ball when I started peeing again. Luckily the nurse was there and she checked it and said my water did break. Since it stopped again she cleaned up the floor and I went back to rolling and bouncing when it started gushing out. I can only equate it to a burst pipe. When the nurse had to come back and clean the floor again I felt horrible so I took a shower and wiggled my hips like Elvis until nothing would come out. She was of course so nice about it and I really couldn't do anything about it but I still felt like an ass.
  • Options
    With both my kids my water didn't break until active labor. I was induced both times. But both times were a total gush that went EVERYWHERE. I feel like it splattered the whole room. I remember thinking when I lost my mucus plug with the first I thought it was my water and they were like nope, then when the water did break I was like ooohhhhhhh. Definitely felt like a water balloon bursting. Hahaha