Baby Names
Options

38 weeks, need a name!

edited April 2015 in Baby Names
Juggling between a few options for our girl. We like Lenin (pronounced like John "Lennon") but also like the way Lay-nin sounds and can't seem to find it as a baby name or how we would spell it! How would you spell/pronounce it?

38 weeks, need a name! 107 votes

Avery Louise
28% 30 votes
Avery Elizabeth
58% 63 votes
Lenin Louise
2% 3 votes
Lenin Elizabeth
8% 9 votes
Lenin Avery
1% 2 votes

Re: 38 weeks, need a name!

• Options
    Lennon is bad and Lenin is awful. Avery is masculine and trendy on a girl but if I had to choice it's far better than whatever Lenin is.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Lennon but only spelled this way. You won't get many people on here who like it. I do like Avery Elizabeth of your choices.
  • Options
    nurse714nurse714 member
    edited April 2015
    New poll please. I can't vote. Avery is a boy's name that is trending on girls and Lenin? Really? You can do better. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    ==N====N== member
    I hope this is a joke.

If not, do not name your child Lenin, because, like pp said...communism.

I really dislike Avery on a girl, but anything is better than Lenin.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I dislike the name Avery in general, but Lenin/Lennon just doesn't seem right as a first name at all.

You say you like the pronunciation "Laynin", have you considered something like "Layna" instead? It's still NMS but it does come off more as a name than Lenin or Laynin. You could also spell it Laina or even Lena (though you'd experience confusion with that one).

What about Leia? Or Elena?

Love Elizabeth as the MN, though :) And Leia would be my pick with it.

ETA: Louise is bad. I don't care that it's technically a girl name so it's getting more love than Avery, it is not a nice name. Please consider your young, beautiful daughter spending her youth with a crochety old lady name...I sure wouldn't have been happy about that.
  • Options
    Louise and Elizabeth are nice. The others are horrendous.
  • Options
    Avery is something a bird lives in. Please do not name your child after an Avery. They deserve better than that!
    Lenin is horrible for a girl!!
    Sorry I don't like any names you have listed.
    Agree with above use Louise or Elizabeth. Classis names
  • Options
    Yeah I don't like any of those. I'm not voting.

Lenin, by the way, was a communist. A famous one. You really want to name a little girl that?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    Avery Elizabeth is the best choice up there. Not a fan of Lenin, it's very... Communist? If you're a big fan of Vladmir Lenin, then I guess that's cool, but not great for a Child's name.
  • Options
    Avery Elizabeth is the best choice. Avery is very trendy, but I don't hate it. Lenin/Lennon isn't good.
  • Options
    FWIW - I almost named my male cat Lennon (after John lennon).
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    LuvLoveXo said:

THIS!!
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    LuvLoveXo said:

Yep

• Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    Elizabeth Louise

Lenin is terrible and Avery is a boys name. I'm sorry that you're bummed you're not having a boy, but you can't just slap a boys name on her and pretend.
  • Options
    MUD? (please, please be mud)
  • Options
    Jags8 said:

Elizabeth Louise

Lenin is terrible and Avery is a boys name. I'm sorry that you're bummed you're not having a boy, but you can't just slap a boys name on her and pretend.

Yes, yes. Elizabeth Louise is a wonderful name.
  • Options
    Avery Elizabeth of those choices.  If you are going to go with Lennon, please please spell it Lennon.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    LizWhiz87LizWhiz87 member
    edited April 2015
    Elizabeth Louise

Yes, yes. Elizabeth Louise is a wonderful name!

Double post. Ignore.
  • Options
    I think Avery is a unisex name. At least where I'm from we see a lot more girl Averys than boy Averys. I liked Avery Elizabeth for our daughter but Avery has just become so popular lately we decided against it.
  • Options
    Avery is one of my favorite names. I wish my husband liked that name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lenin?  No, no no, not even Lennon.  I am totally over the trend of Avery for a girl.  You can do better.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm so glad you all have strong opinions, although I am surprised there are not more fans.

You'll be happy to know that Lennon and Lenin are off the table now thank you to all of you who pointed out the communist connection. Big oops.

MNs are pretty much non-negotiable as Louise and Elizabeth are family names (hence the old-lady type) and are by far the best options we have to work with (others are names like Mabel and Delia...eiw)

Avery is a name we have both loved for many years... sadly, it has gotten more popular than we'd hoped. We try not to be trendy, hence Lennon, but again that's off the table.  I personally know more fm Averys than male and it is listed as unisex in every dictionary I've seen. If we were having a boy, it'd still be at the top of our list.
  • Options

You'll be happy to know that Lennon and Lenin are off the table now thank you to all of you who pointed out the communist connection. Big oops.

MNs are pretty much non-negotiable as Louise and Elizabeth are family names (hence the old-lady type) and are by far the best options we have to work with (others are names like Mabel and Delia...eiw)

Avery is a name we have both loved for many years... sadly, it has gotten more popular than we'd hoped. We try not to be trendy, hence Lennon, but again that's off the table.  I personally know more fm Averys than male and it is listed as unisex in every dictionary I've seen. If we were having a boy, it'd still be at the top of our list.

I personally don't think of Louise or Elizabeth as 'old-lady' type of names, but maybe I am biased since my name is Elizabeth. I still think Avery is not your best bet. 

Other unisex names:

Blair
    Cassidy
    Darcy
    Esme
    Harlow
    Meredith
    Morgan
    Shelby
    Whitney
    Whitney
  • Options

I'm so glad you all have strong opinions, although I am surprised there are not more fans.

For what it's worth, Lennon is trendy as all get out, so it's a good thing you struck it of the table.

Names that are feminine without being over the top feminine, and also not trendy.

Zara Louise
    Zora Elizabeth
    Astrid Louise
    Deirdre Elizabeth
    Sybil Elizabeth
    Paloma Elizabeth
    Zephyrine Louise
    Cosima Elizabeth
    Briar Elizabeth
    Celeste Louise
    Delphine Elizabeth
    Leonie Elizabeth