Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Rejecting the bottle but not enough milk

So my 3 week old has been breast fed but also supplement with formula because I'm not producing enough milk for her size (born 10lbs 7oz). She drains both my breast and still wants more but when I offer her the bottle she spits it out and gets mad because she's still hungry. So I'm constantly feeding her... Idk what to do to help my hungry little girl

Re: Rejecting the bottle but not enough milk

• Options
    You keep offering the breast. There is a growth spurt at this age.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    2Swanns2Swanns member
    From what I've read, this spurt is her getting your body used to producing what she needs. Keep putting her to breast.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    bunnyabunnya member
    Maybe try offering half an oz of formula at the beginning of the feeding when she is really hungry and maybe she'll take it. Then breastfeed her like normal. Just so she gets a little extra. I do agree you should be nursing as often as possible to build up supply. Do you have a pump? I know it's not recommended to use a pump until your supply is established to avoid oversupply, but I think it may be worth it to try a couple of times a day just to stimulate production until you notice an increase in your supply. Good luck. The first 6 weeks are hard before supply is established.
    Me 26 DH 31. Off oral contraception since 1/2012. Actively TTC # 1 since 4/2012. CD3 bloodwork, hsg normal 6/2013. SA performed 7/2013 - low count, low motility. First RE appointment 9/4/2013. Were told SA not good enough for IUI. Repeat SA and additional bloodwork ordered. RE suggests DH see a urologist. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e32d9/thumb.png
  • Options
    The answer to most nursing issues is almost always more nursing. Try moving feedings a little closer together. Your body should adjust and make more milk.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    bunnya said:

Maybe try offering half an oz of formula at the beginning of the feeding when she is really hungry and maybe she'll take it. Then breastfeed her like normal. Just so she gets a little extra. I do agree you should be nursing as often as possible to build up supply. Do you have a pump? I know it's not recommended to use a pump until your supply is established to avoid oversupply, but I think it may be worth it to try a couple of times a day just to stimulate production until you notice an increase in your supply. Good luck. The first 6 weeks are hard before supply is established.

I'm not anti-formula by any means. Full disclosure: my DD was FF by bottle after immense struggle at the breast.

So, I think it's best to simply offer the breast often & first .

If baby seems insatiable after emptying both breasts then offer a tiny bit (1 ounce at a time) of formula as a last resort.

Your body needs complete draining of the breast to signal more milk production. So, formula before hand may cause inadequate draining of the breast & thus inhibit more production to meet baby's needs.

Formula is marvelous but should only be a supplement after nursing is done in order to encourage supply.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers