Breastfeeding
Options

A few questions about pumping

My son will be 3 weeks on Sunday and I am trying to start pumping to build a supply for down the road.  I am def. having a hard time...my milk supply is fantastic but I barely get an ounce when I pump.  I called the pump manufacterur and they walked me through a few things over the phone.  My son is gaining weight and when he comes off the breast the milk is spilling out...so I know it isn't a supply issue.  What gives? 

I wash all the parts (storage bottles, breast shields, membranes, etc) with hot, soapy water and let them air dry between uses...sometimes, the parts still have a bit of H20 on them but I feel like using a cloth with contaminate them.  I shake them to get any excess off but there are still some droplets of water there when I begin to pump.  Is this ok? 

Lastly, my lactation consultant said I should try to freeze at least 4-5oz portions so keep a storage bottle in the fridge for about 24 hours or so and keep adding to it....I assume she knows what she is talking about but for those moms that have to pump several times to get a good amt, do you leave the storage bottle in fridge and add to it and when you have enough pop it in freezer?  What is the max amt of time milk can be in fridge before you freeze?

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Re: A few questions about pumping

• Options
    I can't really help with your pump question.... I'm sorry! I at least get some milk... I know pumps are nearly as effective as the baby but I don't know what to say if you're getting nothing.

However, my daughter is only a week younger than your little guy! I get about two oz each pump session. I store the milk (from a session) in one container and put it in the fridge. I do the same thing for the next session (now two separate containers in the fridge) and so on... Once I have enough milk to fill a storage container and all the milk is at the same temp - is when I'll mix them. I was told not to mix cold milk with warm milk... Mix warm with warm or cold with cold!!

Good luck with everything and congrats!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    People respond differently to the pump. Massaging my boobs and looking at DD pictures gets me more milk. Using a handsfree bra is nice. I took an old sports bra and cut holes into it. Additionally your flange size may be off.

My parts are usually not bone dry when I use them. I just shake off the water.

I stored whatever i pumped right into the freezer when i first started building a stash. I stored max 2 oz. Per bag at first but now i do 4-5. My baby struggled with the bottle. In the beginning when she was trying to learn she would only drink 2oz at a time and that took an hour. We would have wasted alot of milk if i had stored them in larger quantities. (She now drinks 4-5 at 5 months old). The storage bags are cheap-$20/100 bags. Milk can be in the fridge 3-8 days before you freeze. Bad breast milk smells bad, we do the sniff test with her bottles.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Milk can stay fresh in the fridge for up to a week.

When are you pumping? If you're pumping right after nursing I wouldn't expect to get much. I would try to nurse fully from one side and pump the other. Or pump about an hour after nursing so your boobs have a chance to refill.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Ecarabeo217Ecarabeo217 member
    edited March 2015
    Pumping isn't as effective at draining the breast as baby is. And if you're pumping after nursing what you're getting is great, especially at 3 weeks! Careful you don't end up with oversupply. The best websites I've found so far with great advice are kellymom and workandpump.com
    I was told to store 1-2 oz portions. You can always thaw two bags. Smaller portions waste less and thaw faster.
    Married 2007
    3 Clomid IUIs -- BFNs
    IVF #1 never made it to transfer
    On "egg health" cocktail DHEA/CoQ10/FRC/Pregnitude/Melatonin
    Starting IVF #2 for Feb 2013
    Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix
    Cancelled mid-cycle due to high P4 levels early on.
    OCPs again for IVF 2.5 mid-March. IVF 2.5 transferred two "gorgeous" 5-day blasts and BFFN. Even REI is baffled
    On indefinite hold until a huge stroke of serendipity led me to IVF 3 May 2014
    Testing found positive cardiolipins/APS, now on lovenox and intralipid infusions
    Transfer of 2 5-day blasts and (FINALLY) BFFP!! 1st ultrasound shows two sacs and two HB, but one is sluggish, almost expecting vanishing twin Subsequent ultrasound confirmed vanishing twin, but my other Little critter looks fantastic!
    "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."
    -- Margaret Thatcher

• Options
    Massage and compress before and during a pumping session for at least 20 minutes. The corrct flange size is important too. Your nipple should not rub against the sides of the flange.

I pump the days milk and combine it all into a container into the fridge. At the end of the day I mix it all together so there is no foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (I'm an oversupplier), and pour into bags then freeze. Start with 2 oz into each bag, then after a month or so do 4 oz.

Kellymom.com is the best site for information. Bookmark it!
  • Options
    It took my body awhile to get used to the electric pump and for me to really be able to relax with it. PP is right - look at pics of your LO to help stimulate milk flow. You could also try a manual pump to get the flow started. 

Regarding freezing, I would pump 4-5 times a day and store milk in 4-5 oz portions in the freezer. 
    Stasa 01.15.09 * Lexi 03.24.11 * Tommy 04.27.13 * Merklet #4 due 10.10.15

BLOG    THE BABY STANDARD    FLICKR    VIDEOS

• Options
    I'd try to freeze in 2 or 4 oz increments. That way of you're less likely to have to thaw more than you need.

Looking at pictures of baby, taking calming breaths, and massaging my breasts helped me let down for the pump. Massaging my breasts was probably the biggest help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used to get an oz out but I got a bigger size flange and now I get 3 to7oz depending on time of day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"