April 2015 Moms
Options

Gaining too much weight

hello, I'm new on here and I'd like to see if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having. I'm 5'6 and my pre pregnancy weight was 165-175 my weight fluctuated often. Now I weigh 200 lbs. everyone just tells me it's because I'm tall but I really think I'm gaining too much weight. I'm 32 weeks and I really don't know what to do.. It worrys me.

Re: Gaining too much weight

• Options
    Okay. I was trying to ask how much weight your "supposed" to gain. But okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    It's different for everyone but the average weight you are supposed to gain is 15-20 pounds which i think is rediculous! Im 5'5" started out at 155p and currently 180p. And I've still got two months to go! My first pregnancy i started out at 125p and ended at 203p!!! Perfectly healthy baby girl. I think they say weight gain theoretically should only be 20 pounds but i think that is bare minimum. There are so many factors that play in gaining while pregnant. Yeah i probably should not have gained over 75 pounds but cut a pregnant lady some slack. I'd much rather have a chunky baby than a tiny baby. Out of everything we ladies have to look out for health wise i think weight should not be a top concern. That's my opinion I'm sure there are doctors out there that would slap me for saying that but hey, everyone is different and i don't think it's very accurate to have an average weight gain goal. I think most Women's body does exactly what it's supposed to to support a human life. So try not to sweat if you gain a little more than average that healthy baby istruly enough to not worry about weight even just for a little while. =)
  • Options
    I'm 32 weeks and have gained 21 lbs. my doctor told me I can gain up to 30 and still be within a normal BMI. We'll see how that goes.

I barely gained any weight with DD1 and I had a tiny baby. I'm not looking for that this time around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Since when is 5'6" tall?

This.

First thing I thought when I read this post.

I'm 6'0" and have gained about 30 pounds so far and I started out overweight, my doctor has not expressed any concern over my weight.
  • Options
    Average is 25 to 35 but everyone is different and unless your Doctor is concerned you shouldn't be. Along with everyone being different every pregnancy is as well...I will have gained more this time then last but my doctor says I'm good! Trust them :)
  • Options
    Comparing pregnancy weight gain is the devil's work! Don't even dabble in it! If you're eating healthy and your doctor is okay then don't worry. As PP have said everyone is different, some gain a lot and some lose. Your doctor will be monitoring it to make sure you don't have any dramatic gains or losses because it could be a symptom of something greater. But that's for them to worry about.
  • Options
    Well, I go to the doctor Wednesday and I'll see what they say. I was really just worried because not even two weeks ago I weighed 190 and now I weight 200-203 depending on what time I weigh myself. Lol. I didn't get prenatal care until I was 28 weeks pregnant because the doctors in Texas where I am, didn't accept my medicade. But thanks for yalls advice. I know pregnant women don't like talking about their weight I just needed someone else's opinions on what was going on, Im a first time mom with no one to help me and I've had to figure everything out for myself just because I haven't had prenatal care until recently. But again, THANK YALL! And 5'6 is tall for my family. That's why i said that.
  • Options
    That was a super rude answer
  • Options
    I had this same concern. I'm pregnant with my 2nd and hadn't completely lost all my baby weight from my first. And I started at 120 and was 170 when he was born and I'm 5'3. I did more research with this pregnancy on eating and weight gain. I can't find the site off hand at the moment, but basically you find out your BMI and go from there. Depending on where you fall as far as being under weight, at the "right" weight, or over weight will determine how much weight you "should" gain during pregnancy. I did use an app this time called "weight gain" for pregnancy and that helped with how to eat and such. Youre not crazy for asking us about weight gain. I've asked it and things related to it plenty of times on message boards and got very helpful and encouraging responses. Yes, of course i would recommend speaking with your Dr about what they think, as well, since they know you. But don't stress too much about it; esp this late in pregnancy.
  • Options
    If you google search "pregnancy weight gain calculator" you can find a site where you enter your personal information. It will give you week by week expected weight gain.

• Options
    And sometimes you just shoot up in weight all of a sudden and then it slows down again. Like I barely gained any weight until the end of my 2nd trimester when I all of a sudden gained between 5 and 10 lbs pretty fast. And now it's been more gradual again.
  • Options

It is actually very discouraging to see all these negative comments. We are all here to support each other, not put each other down and judge. If you don't want to talk about a specific subject, don't join the conversation. Not to mention we are all adults here.

Can YOU give me one example of a time you supported someone in this community? A link would be great.

My guess is nah.

I'll wait, though.
  • Options
    marigold32marigold32 member
    edited February 2015
    cam12345 said:
    Snip.
     I almost posted one of the meme's of Michael Jackson eating popcorn
    Snip.
    I bet you're a riot at parties. 
  • Options
    That was rude, but okay. Anyways, thank yall for your answers. (: I'm fine, weights good and going to see a new doctor March 11. Lost my mucus plug yesterday, so I'm very nervous now! Been cramping badly with back pain and regular contractions along with the cramping, is this labor? Idk how to tell Braxton from real contractions. But if you must be rude, please keep your comments to yourself. I'm simply getting opinions. Thanks!!
  • Options
    In addition to what the other ladies have said about calling your doctor, I'd like to add that you really should see your doctor before March 11th. Since you're on the board for April moms and I'm due late April, you've gotta be at least 31 weeks now and most doctors do appointments every 2 weeks at that point. Especially considering your lack of early prenatal care, I'd consider trying to find somebody who can get you in earlier, especially if you haven't had any blood work to check for gestational diabetes, genetic issues, or other important factors.
  • Options
    @julianandpatrick you do not know her situation! For example I do not qualify for credit cards yet as I just moved in the US from Europe . I have worked until I fell pregnant but I suffered from Hypermesis Gravidarum my whole pregnancy and I had to quit my job after a month I found out I am pregnant. I am just saying.. I stand by my comment as well, we are women and just because our hormones are all over the place right now it doesn't give us the right to be mean.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @andreeamog Again, no one was being mean. She wanted our opinions and that's what she received.
    Sorry to hear you're having issues, but I'm pretty sure we all are at this point.
    And there are always free clinics and planned parenthood, or for most insurances (even some government issued ones, for example, Medicaid) they allow you to go out of network if there isn't an in-network provider within a certain number of miles. So the fact that she didn't see a doctor until 28 weeks is pretty disheartening.

Edited because my phone thinks I'm a gangsta..
  • Options
    gennag30 said:

Download What to Expect app and go on their communities. Less drama and you get much more positive info. I think peeps on here like to stir things up a bit.

Oooh... you'd better be careful. The Shadow Mods will get you.
  • Options

My god some of you people are morons! If you don't like the poor girls question just ignore it! Just cause our weight is a "sensitive" topic it doesn't mean we can't talk about it. Piss off with your negative ignorant comments

Always resorting to name calling. Where do you lovely little flowers come from?
  • Options
    I don't have a credit card ... I can still pay for stuff ... It's called budgeting ... I learned it at skool... Ya know.
  • Options
    Is this seriously still going on how many days later !!!??? Call your dr if you think your in labor call and call it a day ... No one here can't tell you that .... . Everyone else just let it go . Seriously think this has gone on way longer then it should have .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"