Baby Showers
Options

Huggies and chuggies party

Hi. I am about 23 weeks pregnant and my sister is throwing my baby shower. But my husband recently heard about diaper parties for men where the fathers friends and family bring diapers, they eat food, play cards, sports or whatever and drink. My husband really wants a diaper party but I don't know how to go about asking someone to throw it for him. I don't really want to throw it myself. He has a few close friends that might do it. But I don't think these types of parties are big around where we live, I've never heard of them before this. I don't think his friends would even know to offer, they may have never heard of it either. So my question is how can I get someone to throw this party for him? I don't want to ask someone...it is rude. Any advice would be so much help. Thanks!

Re: Huggies and chuggies party

• Options

Why does your DH want this party?  Why does he need to hit up his friends (who I assume some of them are the DHs of women who will be coming to your shower and already giving you a gift) for diapers?  If he wants to hang out w/ his buddies, then he can simply throw a party.  even if he wants to make it "one last hurrah before I become a dad!", that's fine.

But it SHOULD NOT BE about "oh, and bring some diapers".  Just have a party w/ his friends - period. I really do not see why it needs to be a gift centered event.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto the above reply.  There is only ONE way to handle this tastefully, and that's for your DH to plan a "last pre-fatherhood" get-together with his friends that is centered around hanging out, and does not involve gifts.

Even if you don't have a "bring me diapers" party, people who want to buy a gift will do so.  Some of them will bring diapers.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Huggies and chuggies? Wow, this is like if a frat house hosted a baby shower.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    My husbands friends normally do a "dadchelor" party while the women are at the baby shower. No gifts are expected, it's just the guys hanging out while all the wives are busy anyway. My husbands friends have already been in contact with me about his, so in our experience the daddy doesn't throw it himself.

Edited to add that when my hubby attended one last year, he brought diapers. But that wasn't the norm for every guy who went. He just doesn't ever like to show up empty handed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    EDD: 4/23/15   Team Pink!!!
  • Options
    Of course you know there's no polite way of getting someone to throw your husband this kind of party, but If he wants to get drunk that bad, just have him wait til one of his buddies is about to be a dad and then he can throw him the frat party. I probably wouldn't ask the guests to bring diapers though, as that's obviously pretty rude.
  • Options
    Obviously asking to bring a gift is rude. I was merely asking how I ask his friend to throw him a party. Whether or not they bring diapers is irrelevant because we are cloth diapering so I don't want disposables. I was just mentioning what the party type was that he heard about. So any suggestions on what to say to approach my husband's best friend to see if he will throw him a party. It can be similar to dachelor like someone mentioned in a post. He just wants to get together with his friends and family to celebrate just as I would with a baby shower. I am not asking for gifts. Just want my loved ones to celebrate with. I don't feel like that is rude.
  • Options
    ca4067 said:
    Obviously asking to bring a gift is rude. I was merely asking how I ask his friend to throw him a party.
    And a party like this IS a gift.

If your DH wants a "one last hurrah", HE can throw it for himself.  HE can say "hey guys, come over and let's have one last kid free night!".  Plain and simple.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    ca4067 said:
    Obviously asking to bring a gift is rude. I was merely asking how I ask his friend to throw him a party. Whether or not they bring diapers is irrelevant because we are cloth diapering so I don't want disposables. I was just mentioning what the party type was that he heard about. So any suggestions on what to say to approach my husband's best friend to see if he will throw him a party. It can be similar to dachelor like someone mentioned in a post. He just wants to get together with his friends and family to celebrate just as I would with a baby shower. I am not asking for gifts. Just want my loved ones to celebrate with. I don't feel like that is rude.

Ok, simple answer to your question. Asking someone to throw a party in your honor (or husband's) is rude. Just do not do it.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    Just have your H ask his buddies if they'd like to hang out while you're at your baby shower. There isn't really a polite or appropriate way for you to ask someone else to throw him a party.
  • Options
    ca4067 said:

You still aren't getting it. You can't ask anyone to throw you or your husband a party. If no one offers, you don't get a party. Period.
  • Options
    This is pretty popular where I live. My DH's friends have done this for each other quite a bit. They just call it a diaper party. It happens a lot more on the second, third etc baby. I suppose it is much like a baby shower, where you have a registry for gifts, you are kind of dictating what gifts people bring. The guys don't necessarily get "wasted" they have a couple drinks, joke around and be guys. Not everyone brings diapers, only if they want to. I think it's a fun idea and gives guys something fun to do as well.
  • Options
    I apologize, OP, I didn't really answer your question. If you are close to his friends just ask them to throw it as a surprise. It doesn't have to be extravagant, just something they would all like to do.
  • Options
    I apologize, OP, I didn't really answer your question. If you are close to his friends just ask them to throw it as a surprise. It doesn't have to be extravagant, just something they would all like to do.
    No, no, no, no, no.  You never, ever ask someone to throw you a party.  And really- this "huggies" party would be for her too as it's HER CHILD too that the diapers woiuld be used on.

if his friends don't think to do this on their own, then obviously it's not common in their area and it's incredibly rude and classless for her to try and get one of his buddies to do this.
  • Options
    VOR said:
    No, no, no, no, no.  You never, ever ask someone to throw you a party.  And really- this "huggies" party would be for her too as it's HER CHILD too that the diapers woiuld be used on.

if his friends don't think to do this on their own, then obviously it's not common in their area and it's incredibly rude and classless for her to try and get one of his buddies to do this.
    All this here.  If it was common, she wouldn't need to ask.  And asking is just plain rude.
    I haven't seen you lately! I wondered where you had been. :D
  • Options
    If it is like a male version of a diaper shower...why not?! Lots of people could care less about etiquette or coming across as rude. I personally think it sounds funny! And if you got a load of diapers that you need from his boy party? -Awesome! 
  • Options

If it is like a male version of a diaper shower...why not?! Lots of people could care less about etiquette or coming across as rude. I personally think it sounds funny! And if you got a load of diapers that you need from his boy party? -Awesome! 

And those people who couldn't care less are seen as tacky and are most definitely being side-eyed. I still don't see how asking someone to throw you a gift - giving party and spend yet more money on your baby isn't rude as hell.
    I meant the party-goers when I said people don't always care about lack of etiquette or tacky parties! No one thinks twice about it when people ask folks to BYOB to an adult party!? Why not make it goofy for the boys and have a Bring-Some-Diapers party! Good, close friends would find it funny :) 

At least mine would, and I know my Husband's friends would find it pretty hilarious. However, older friends and family would probably be put off...but that would just be because they don't get the joke. 

Maybe it's because I am 23 years old, and I know all of our friends who are having kids would be very happy to help each other and have a goofy party too. 
  • Options

This in and of itself is tacky.
  • Options

And those people who couldn't care less are seen as tacky and are most definitely being side-eyed. I still don't see how asking someone to throw you a gift - giving party and spend yet more money on your baby isn't rude as hell.
    I meant the party-goers when I said people don't always care about lack of etiquette or tacky parties! No one thinks twice about it when people ask folks to BYOB to an adult party!? Why not make it goofy for the boys and have a Bring-Some-Diapers party! Good, close friends would find it funny :) 

At least mine would, and I know my Husband's friends would find it pretty hilarious. However, older friends and family would probably be put off...but that would just be because they don't get the joke. 

Maybe it's because I am 23 years old, and I know all of our friends who are having kids would be very happy to help each other and have a goofy party too. 

Yeah, a BYOB party was just fine in college, but at this point in my life, I would find it very rude.
    Well, we are not in college, but not quite at that age where people are super formal yet...I guess it depends on who your audience is. I know my friends and my Husband's friends would find it funny! ;)
  • Options

This in and of itself is tacky.
    I personally would never want a diaper shower either! Can you imagine how many sizes you'd get that you would never use...lol!
  • Options
     Often men get left out of the fun with baby showers, etc. I think it's cool that your husband wants to celebrate, and that he's excited for his new arrival. I've heard of a poker party where diapers are the "buy in". Usually the husband provides snacks, the set up, etc. I don't think it's tacky to ask people to bring one package of diapers. A small pack of diapers isn't that costly. Most likely he's planning to invite a small group of close friends who would be happy to join in the fun.
  • Options
    If the OP's significant other wants to be involved why doesn't see just see if the host of her baby shower would make it co-ed? All the baby showers I have been to lately are co-ed and my husband is looking forward to our co-ed baby shower that friends and family are throwing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"