LGBT Parenting
Options

Glucose Test?

So, has anyone had a glucose test to see if they're prediabetic before starting the TTC process?  If so, what is it like?

Re: Glucose Test?

• Options
    I haven't but I imagine it's like an glucose test. They have you drink a sweet drink, and test your blood at different intervals (say, 1 hour, 2 hour and 4 hours) and determine if it is dropping appropriately over time.

If you were positive for pre-diabetes then you'd likely start a diabetic type diet (I had gestational diabetes and had to do this). It's mostly about not having too many carbs in one sitting, just spread out ov
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    I had my glucose tested before but not for TTC.  All they did was fasting bloodwork and checked my levels.  I didn't have to drink a sugar drink.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the glucose test prior to TTC. The results came back normal, but on the higher end of the scale. It didn't prevent us from TTC, but doc did put me on Metformin while TTC as a precaution/aid. Since being pregnant, I have had 2 glucose tests, both of which I passed. The only difference in the tests have been the testing intervals (1 hour or 3 hour) and if you are to fast or not. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I had a glucose test before TTC with my 2nd.  It was just a blood test.  I was on the higher end of normal, so they put me on Metformin, which they said would be helpful when TTC anyway (can't remember why).  I was tested for GD when I was like 12 weeks pregnant and came back as having it so I was on the GD diet for what felt like forever!

He was born nearly six weeks early due to other issues but was still 7 lbs 2 oz.  Sometimes I'm thankful he didn't make it to term, it's scary to think how big he might have been!  ;)
    It took 7 IUIs but it was totally worth it!
    12/14/10~~~2:05 pm~~~10lbs 9oz~~~22 in

Only 2 tries this time!
    11/4/13~~~9:22 am~~~7lbs 2oz~~~19 1/4 in

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  I scheduled my appointment for next Wednesday so I'll let you all know how it goes. 

• Options
    They might just do a finger stick and check your A1c level. Because of my high family history with it I'm monitored closely for it and it's simple. a1c will look at your level over last 3 months and give dr. Your average. Just don't eat a bunch of sweets right before hand! ;)

There is also a fasting test where they draw labs then make you eat a certain breakfast and then go back for 2nd labs.

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Options
    For what it's worth. I'm almost done with my first hour wait now. They had me drink a sugary drink and then they'll check my blood at 1 hr and 2hrs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"