Baby Names
Options

Ellery?

I met a girl years ago with the name Ellery and immediately fell in love with it. I assumed it was made up but according to behind the name it is a form of Hillary. My only concern is that it is traditionally a masculine name. To me there is nothing masculine about Ellery (or Hillary) but I like my girl names to be feminine and boy names to be masculine. What do you think? Masculine or feminine?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Ellery?

• Options
    JoJo1111JoJo1111 member
    edited December 2014
    Hmm I thought behind the name was pretty trusted for origins. Is there a more accurate website for name origins?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of my top names is Elodie. I like it a lot better than Ellery, since like pp said it reminds me of celery. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Not sure about Ellery but I know a girl with the name Allary which I always thought was pretty.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Me (34) PCOS

DH (36) Poor morphology and motility

TTC since 2011

2013 cycles 1, 2, and 3 on Clomid, all BFN

2013 cycles 4, and 5 IUI with Clomid, both BFN

DH and I took a break for several months

7/15/2014 started Acupuncture 

7/26/2014 start Follistim for IVF cycle, ER on 8/8, develop OHSS, ET almost cancelled

8/13/2014 ET proceeds on our wedding anniversary, transfer 2 5DB, 8/23 BFP

EDD 5/1/2015

• Options
    JoJo1111JoJo1111 member
    edited December 2014
    Is babynamespedia a good site? Even though I love love the name Ellery, I don't really love the idea of using a masculine name on a girl. I do like Elodie. Any other names I should consider? Dd is Amelia. Other names on the list
    Isadora
    Clara
    Charlotte
    Madeline
    Blanche

Eta Eleri is beautiful as well! I would need someone Welsh to check that I was pronouncing it right!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Masculine.

How about Claudia?

• Options
    Thank you for the insight and name suggestions! I'm sure I will be back for more help once we find out what this little munchkin is in a few weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter has a friend named Ilaria which is apparently the Italian version of Hilary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Ellery - no, just no 
    Eleri - Lovely 

(Meleri is on our list for the next one. I also know many a Teleri)

@JoJo1111 - as was said it is Eh-Leh-re/Eh-Lair-Re
    Welsh is a phoentic language, you say stuff exactly how it is written (always). The emphasis is mostly always on the middle syllable (if possible) but a Welsh person would inflect on the last -re. (It is just the accent we inflect at the end of words, why it sounds sing-songy)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I like the suggestion of Eleri, sorry OP, Ellery is just NMS.

What about Mallory?
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Options
    bromios said:
    Ellery - no, just no 
    Eleri - Lovely 

(Meleri is on our list for the next one. I also know many a Teleri)

@JoJo1111 - as was said it is Eh-Leh-re/Eh-Lair-Re
    Welsh is a phoentic language, you say stuff exactly how it is written (always). The emphasis is mostly always on the middle syllable (if possible) but a Welsh person would inflect on the last -re. (It is just the accent we inflect at the end of words, why it sounds sing-songy)
    Is this like a pitch accent where you would modulate your voice higher on the -re vs. a stress accent?
    @bromios
    It is very much an inflection, where you go higher than the rest of the word. It isn't a stress 
    (sorry I'm not explaining it well, linguistics and the voice I am not the best at)

• Options
    I want to like it, but it reminds me of celery too... Which I hate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"