March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby shower trouble

Im currently 28 weeks with my first child. Due to my current financial status I cannot afford a baby shower. My boyfriend's mom offered to do the shower but once the price of getting a room for the event came she asked my boyfriend to pay for it which trickled down to me being asked to pay for half. As well as paying for decorations and food out of our pockets. I never felt a shower was necessary because only our families would be there and if they really wanted to give the baby something we would greatly appreciate it baby shower or not. We've paid for all of the more expensive items ourselves and I've received old clothes from a family member's baby and bought clothes myself. His family feels it's necessary to have it but why should my boyfriend and I pay for everything? I didn't even want the shower and now I'm getting a hard time from him because I don't want to pay for anything. I'd rather just keep saving like we've been doing and purchase anything else we need. Any other mom's experiencing issues with planning?

Re: Baby shower trouble

• Options
    2Swanns2Swanns member
    edited December 2014
    You should never be expected to contribute to your own shower because you don't throw your own shower. It's hosted by someone who wants to do it for you. I think it's great that you are willing and prepared to pay for baby things on your own, because no one should expect a shower and should be fully prepared to buy things themselves if they take on the responsibility of a child.

Stick to your guns - sounds like you're being responsible about it. A shower should be hosted by a person or people who want to do it for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you all so much. I've been feeling in a hole by myself about this. My boyfriend's mom recently had a baby in April and she did her baby shower herself with help from a friend to host but so many of her friends and co workers wanted to have a shower for her but she refused because of her not being in control of food arrangements and the guests. So she doesn't see it being wrong with us paying for it. I've expressed my opinion and it's been set and stone for months now but they think they can break me into paying for it. I'm not going to worry about it anymore but my boyfriend has distanced himself from me because of this.
  • Options
    ^^ What she did isn't proper etiquette and seems a little crazy/controlling (in regards to her own baby shower). Tell her you'd rather spend the money on things for the baby than the actual shower. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    You sound like you're trying to do the right thing here and are being bombarded with absolute classlessness and tackiness. If they want to throw you a shower it falls entirely on them, your financial contribution is zero. Agree with PPs that you need to stick to your guns and figure out where your boyfriends loyalties lie
  • Options
    Man, this is the last thing I expected to read when I clicked on this post! OP, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. As others have said, your BF & his mom are well-intentioned, but totally, 100% wrong. A baby shower is not at all paid for by the mother-to-be. Hosting your own shower is tacky as hell. It sounds like the truth is that none of you can afford to host a shower, and thus, should not. It's not a requirement to have a baby shower! 
  • Options
    mwerrenmwerren member
    edited December 2014
    I agree with PP. Your boyfriend's mom is lacking in etiquette when it comes to showers. Perhaps she can just offer a small, family affair in her home instead?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PPs you should not be asked to pay for your own shower . She shouldn't have offered if she expected you to pay.
  • Options
    I agree with showing your bf this thread. In no way is it your responsibility to pay for anything for the shower. If someone wants to host the party- then that's what they will do- host it! That includes all financial obligations for said party. Sorry both your bf and his mom have no concept of how parties are handled.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    There is no way you should pay a dime for a shower you didn't ask for. If anything you can suggest ways for them to cut costs like having the shower at someone's house and not renting a venue, minimize the decorations, and things of that nature. Or just asked for them to cancel it. No skin off your back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"