2nd Trimester
Options

smoking while pregnant

So I know its bad to smoke while your pregnant and that's why I quit when I found out. But now im 16 weeks and for a month or so ive been craving a cigarette. I do feel that if I were to have a few drags that its wrong and I shouldn't be doing it but its so tempting. Has anyone stopped smoking and picked it back up while you were still pregnant? I don't know if just a few drags will affect the baby but its just like I just want one or so and ill be set.

Re: smoking while pregnant

• Options
    Agreed ^^. Don't do it. You've already been smoke free for this long....all it could take is a "couple drags" and you could be back to full blown smoking.

Amanda (24) DH (27)
    TTC#1: 2/2009 with PCOS - BFP 2/2013
    EDD 10.19.13 ~ DD born 10.9.13
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise! Baby S due 4.14.15
    BabyGaga

• Options
    Well yeah that's what keeps going through my mind is the kid comes first, so I haven't.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well yeah I'm trying to be. I don't think I'm going to have one but I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this too
  • Options
    My cousin went through something similar.  She said whenever she got the urge to smoke, she would google images of smoker's placenta and that is what worked for her.  
  • Options
    I was a fairly heavy smoker. Had one as soon as I found out I was preggers (it was a big surprise). That was the last smoke I had and have now been smoke free for 2 months. I crave a cigarette probably every day and it drives me crazy. I cracked and had one about a month ago and let me tell you it wasnt worth it. I didn't enjoy it at all I was too busy thinking about the little human inside me. You are not alone girl these are just the things we do to make sure our child is healthy!! I'd love to say it'll get better but I'm not entirely sure it will! You said you haven't smoked so you've done better than me already, you got this!
  • Options
    I was a long time smoker, but quit as soon as I saw the positive pregnancy test. I've had a few moments where I've wanted one, but it's not worth it to me. I'm 6 months pregnant today, and glad I haven't given in.
  • Options
    Like others, I quit the day I found out, too. Ofcourse ive had cravings and 4 months later I still crave them. But baby always come first. You CAN do this! Keep it up :)
  • Options
    I have had addictions, but not nicotine.

Something that really helped me when I was pregnant with DD was every time I wanted (insert vice) I would read a children's picture book aloud to my bump.  If I still wanted (vice) after that, I told myself that I could have one.  Depending on how strong your addiction is, this activity might help you refocus on your baby; or at the very least shame you enough to make smoking un-enjoyable/not worth it.  It's not something I'd recommend, however, if you're addicted enough to either skip the story or have one anyway (only you know your level.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I can tell you that I gave in a month ago and had one cigarette. And then I had to do a lot of work convincing myself not to buy a pack. It was hard and set me back. I understand your cravings but please do everything you can not to give in. It isn't worth it.
  • Options
    I was a drinker and a social smoker and the day I found out I was pregnant I quit. It is very hard but it is worth it. I would not want to put anything into my body that could harm the little person inside of me. My fiance has done an excellent job of controlling his smoking around me and has all but quit. His goal is to quit before the baby is born. I do know a girl that has smoked through all 4, yes 4, of her pregnancies. Her children do have different effects because of it. Keep in mind it is only for 9 months and after it is all said and done you most likely will not want one. You can do it!!! :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was a heavy smoker when I found out I was pregnant. I've cut down to about 5 a day and I feel proud of myself. If I were to quit 100% cold turkey, I knew the baby would go through withdraws with me, so I didn't find that as an option. Another thing I kept in mind is the past and people I know. I know several people personally who smoked during their pregnancy and popped out 8-9 lb babies with absolutely nothing wrong with them. Also, chances are you or your parents were products of smoking because everyone smoked back then. Then again, it is up to you whether or not you want to smoke. 
  • Options

jowen0606 said:

I was a heavy smoker when I found out I was pregnant. I've cut down to about 5 a day and I feel proud of myself. If I were to quit 100% cold turkey, I knew the baby would go through withdraws with me, so I didn't find that as an option. Another thing I kept in mind is the past and people I know. I know several people personally who smoked during their pregnancy and popped out 8-9 lb babies with absolutely nothing wrong with them. Also, chances are you or your parents were products of smoking because everyone smoked back then. Then again, it is up to you whether or not you want to smoke. 

I personally know several people who had babies in the NICU and still have lasting issues because they smoked through pregnancy.  I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest argument for "smoking while pregnant" I've ever heard.  By this theory, are you going to have the baby light up a few cigarettes at birth to help "wean" them so they don't go through withdrawls?

"Smoking while pregnant will:

• Lower the amount of oxygen available to you and your growing baby.
    • Increase your baby's heart rate.
    • Increase the chances of miscarriage and stillbirth.
    • Increase the risk that your baby is born prematurely and/or born with low birth weight.
    • Increase your baby's risk of developing respiratory (lung) problems.
    • Increases risks of birth defects.
    • Increases risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

The more cigarettes you smoke per day, the greater your baby's chances of developing these and other health problems. There is no "safe" level of smoking while pregnant."

Yes, agree. I know addiction is a beast, but please work on quitting. Reduction is still an accomplishment, but quitting should be the goal.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    jowen0606 said:
    What the actual fuck? If you quit 100% cold turkey, the baby would be far better off than it is with you smoking, even if it's only 1 per day. 
    Your advice is about as off base as your reasoning for it being "ok" for you to smoke while pregnant. Get your head out of your ass and stop giving such horrible advice. 
  • Options
    Don't do it, you've already come this far and that's something to be proud of! This baby is depending on YOU to make sure (s)he is healthy. I'm sure if they could tell us when we were pregnant whether they wanted us to smoke or not they would say NO. It's their health! Don't let your baby down before they are even born. I also quit the day I found out I was pregnant and I used to smoke a pack a day. And I never once picked up a cigarette after I found out and no, my baby did not go through withdrawals. I have a perfectly happy and healthy 10mo boy now! Do it for your baby and for your own health mama. You won't regret not smoking but you will regret it if you smoke even a few drags.
  • Options

Yeah some people keep smoking when they are pregnant and I do know that doctors say if you are stressing about smoking then it is worse for you because that's not good for the baby. It deff is a hard struggle. I mean I quit cold turkey so easily and than a few months later its like the cravings came back. And yes your baby comes first but sometimes some people cant help it and some kids are born healthy and others aren't. I guess its just different with everyone. But the best thing is to talk to the doctor about it.

• Options
    The best thing to do is be strong... you already went a few months without smoking, so you know you can do it. you only have a few months to go... so hang in there! 
    Also, would you be ok with your baby smoking? I'm guessing not, due to the health risks... so why would you do that to them? 
  • Options
    I quit smoking 2 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my son. It wasn't easy and I constantly thought about it and a few times had a drag, it wasn't worth it. I used smoking as a stress coping mechanism, and since have had to learn how to deal with stress in a healthy way. You can do it, but you have to want it, that's the key.
  • Options
    I quit smoking years ago, after many failed attempts. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, especially since I really enjoyed smoking and never really wanted to quit. I still crave cigarettes all the time.

Don't give in. Quit and stay quit. Look up third hand smoke and see what smoking around an infant will do to it - it's not just pregnancy you need to think about, but your child's long term health.

Things that helped me quit successfully were changing my habits. I would always smoke while driving or while on the phone. So now I only talk on the phone while driving (using a headset) to distract me from those urges. I also stopped spending time around other smokers, the temptation was too much. And I stopped drinking for awhile, because I really craved cigarettes when I was drinking.

Find what works for you and stay strong. Do some serious research on smoking while pregnant and smoking around an infant. There's some pretty sobering info out there.
  • Options
    Well my bf smokes and most of his friends smoke too. My bf quit but went back to it. I've stopped hanging out with most of my friends just bcuz if lack of energy lol but he still smokes but has cut back. I've been constantly thinking about how I'm going to keep smoking away from my baby when they are born. I don't want the smell or anything around them.
  • Options

Well my bf smokes and most of his friends smoke too. My bf quit but went back to it. I've stopped hanging out with most of my friends just bcuz if lack of energy lol but he still smokes but has cut back. I've been constantly thinking about how I'm going to keep smoking away from my baby when they are born. I don't want the smell or anything around them.

Have him smoke outside. Then change shirts & wash hands before handling baby.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

La leche league has some good info on their website. You might check that out.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. So far the wanting to smoke isn't getting the better of me. I didn't realize how hard it was actually going to be. And I think for people who want to hold the Baby or be around them lots of hand sanitizer and clean clothes.
  • Options
    I agree with everything other people have said. Also, consider your own health. My mom was a 2 pack a day smoker and died from COPD when I was 18. Now that I'm going to be a mother, I wish she were here more than ever. I'm not trying to guilt trip you, and I know that many people smoke for their entire lives and never have any issues. It's just something to think about.
  • Options
    Everytime you want to smoke, think about it like if your baby was here and that you were blowing smoke right in their face. That stopped me from doing it when I first quit. Quit the day I found out...there are certainly days I want a cig so bad...but I just don't do it. Then the feeling goes away.
  • Options
    I don't personally smoke however, before I got pregnant I took a very small dose of Klonopin (.25mg every other day or so - they are similar to a xanax). It was for anxiety and was of course prescribed by a doctor. The day I found out I stopped taking it because It's a Cat D drug and not safe. Although it was a minimal dose, I think I had an addiction to them - maybe not in the physical sense but definitely a mental sense. I wanted one so badly for several weeks! I was clearly withdrawing. I thought about it constantly. I haven't taken one since and although I was cleared by a high risk doc to begin taking them again, the thought of me even being slightly dependent and addicted has scared me from ever wanting one again! I still carry them with me at all times "just in case" but I will think very long and hard before I take another one. Good luck and stay strong.
  • Options
    I wish I could say that I quit when I got my BFP like PPs said but I didn't. My SIL was already pregnant and still smoking and I was surrounded by smokers who didn't expect me to quit. I cut back and then at around six weeks quit partly due to morning sickness.

Now that I'm in my second trimester and the morning sickness isn't as bad I've had more cravings to smoke. And I really do miss it sometimes. It's a big part of some of my issues and something that I shared with my boyfriend.

It's hard because people still smoke around mewhich is also bad for my babies. People still smoke in my house and my boyfriend's brother bitched until we let him smoke in the car with me in it.

It's hard when the people around you don't support your quitting, but I keep trying to tell myself that it's worth it. I think about how I'd feel if one of my babies died of SIDs, I'd always wonder if it was my fault.

I'm proud of you for quitting. If you're really struggling with it I'd look for support. My boyfriend is a big part of why I don't smoke when I want to.

A couple of drags would be hard to control. Don't let yourself go there.
  • Options
    You've made it this far. I know it's hard. But for the sake of your little baby's health try your best. Sun flower seeds are good for the cravings. Munch on those

It's a BOY

• Options

I wish I could say that I quit when I got my BFP like PPs said but I didn't. My SIL was already pregnant and still smoking and I was surrounded by smokers who didn't expect me to quit. I cut back and then at around six weeks quit partly due to morning sickness.

Now that I'm in my second trimester and the morning sickness isn't as bad I've had more cravings to smoke. And I really do miss it sometimes. It's a big part of some of my issues and something that I shared with my boyfriend.

It's hard because people still smoke around mewhich is also bad for my babies. People still smoke in my house and my boyfriend's brother bitched until we let him smoke in the car with me in it.

It's hard when the people around you don't support your quitting, but I keep trying to tell myself that it's worth it. I think about how I'd feel if one of my babies died of SIDs, I'd always wonder if it was my fault.

I'm proud of you for quitting. If you're really struggling with it I'd look for support. My boyfriend is a big part of why I don't smoke when I want to.

A couple of drags would be hard to control. Don't let yourself go there.

I'm sorry your family is acting this way. It is dangerous for the baby! Stay strong mama!

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    Sorry to crash in, I usually just post on my BMB, but I can relate to OP.  I quit when I found out I was expecting and it was really tough.  I am 16 weeks now, and even though I quit almost 3 months ago, I have really been craving cigarettes the last week or so.  I don't know if its true, but I read somewhere that every time a woman smokes a cigarette during pregnancy, it is like depriving her fetus of oxygen for 5 minutes.  Visualizing my baby suffocating for 5 minutes just so I can smoke is more than enough to keep me from touching one.
  • Options
    So I quit smoking about 4 weeks ago(I was on a quitting plan from my DR which is why I was still smoking while pregnant for a bit) and I am having a very hard time coping. I think about smoking all the time, I don't because I think about the well being off my child as soon as I think about having one, but man I am just angry all the time. I feel bad for my poor boyfriend because I take it out on him so much. I do not know how to cope with stress and I'm dying here. Anyone have advice? Sorry I know this is off topic a bit but I figured instead of posting a new thread about basically the same thing was pointless.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So I quit smoking about 4 weeks ago(I was on a quitting plan from my DR which is why I was still smoking while pregnant for a bit) and I am having a very hard time coping. I think about smoking all the time, I don't because I think about the well being off my child as soon as I think about having one, but man I am just angry all the time. I feel bad for my poor boyfriend because I take it out on him so much. I do not know how to cope with stress and I'm dying here. Anyone have advice? Sorry I know this is off topic a bit but I figured instead of posting a new thread about basically the same thing was pointless.

Keep busy.

Read alan carrs easy way to quit smoking. Its helps you realize that having a smoke with actually make you MORE stressed out then not having one, and you don't have to think about smoking all the time once you "train" your brain to think different. *I know this book doesn't work for everyone but honestly, was worth the $4 I spent on it.  

Exercise. I found that when I quit smoking that walking after eating really helped.

Remember. This is just a small small small part in a life time of being a non smoker. Wont it be so nice to not be a slave to smoking? Not have to think about it and plan when you get your next smoke? this too shall pass, and just remember to take it one day at a time.

• Options

When I quit years ago I hated it. The cravings were terrible. I changed my habits, so that the usual times I would smoke (in the car or when on the phone) I had distractions.

Find something to occupy your mouth. Gum, tic-tacs, licorice, peppermints.... Pick something you like and stick it in your mouth every time you have a craving. Don't spend any time around other smokers to help cut out the social aspect.
  • Options
    Adanyell10Adanyell10 member
    edited December 2014
    Like many other mamas that have previously posted, I found out I was pregnant on October 27th and that was the day I put cigarettes down and haven't picked them back up since. I was a pretty heavy smoker of about six years, and I would be lying if I said it wasn't one of the hardest things I've had to do. What made it worse? DH still smoked for about a month before he quit with me! Now the smell of smoke turns my stomach! I crave cigarettes almost every day but knowing that one, baby E is effected by them just as much if not more then I am and two, just smelling them makes me sick it helps me forget about them.

Edited: also just keep in mind all the money you save when you quit! That was a BIG feature for me! Lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"