September 2012 Moms
Options

GTKY Christmas Edition!

I'm decorating and listening to Christmas music this afternoon, so I'm feeling jolly :)

Favorite and least favorite Christmas song:

Favorite Christmas movie/special:

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons):

Do you have to have a white Christmas?:

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve?

Re: GTKY Christmas Edition!

• Options
    Fav: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" the Johnny Mathis version
    least favorite: Little Drummer Boy, or the dumb Christmas Shoes song. 
    Cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but Christmas isn't the same if I don't see Frosty the Snowman
    Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): When I was in 5th grade I got the clueless handsfree phone, and an outlet for my room. I had been asking forever for a phone in my room, but my parents made it out like it was a really big deal to add another phone jack and that it just wasn't possible. BAM. Surprised. It had a voice changer (chipmunk or serial killer) and said 'what.ever.' and 'as if!' I fucking loved that thing.
    Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Yes. Pretty white snow fall, please. But after Christmas day, it can all go away.
    Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? We have always done extended family Christmas on Christmas Eve, so presents have been opened. But I never got to open any from my parents, and I don't think we will ever let the kids get any of our presents until the morning of.

• Options
    MRoxy0628MRoxy0628 member
    edited December 2014

Favorite and least favorite Christmas song:  Not sure if these are "real" Christmas songs, but they get me in the holiday spirit: All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays by NSYNC.  I don't know if I have a least favorite, it might come to me after reading other people's least favorites. 

Favorite Christmas movie/special:  Either Love Actually or The Holiday

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons):  I know I've been given a lot of great gifts over the years, but I'm having trouble remembering them. The only thing jumping out at me was the year we got alarm clocks from Santa and on Christmas morning there was also one in the fireplace.  I remember being excited and really believed that Santa dropped it. It was my mom's way of reinforcing the idea of Santa (we must have been doubtful) and it worked! 

Do you have to have a white Christmas?:  I like a white Christmas and luckily, we pretty much always have one. :)

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve?  Yes, because we celebrate with my mom that night (divorced parents). 

edit: removed the decorating and feeling jolly :)

Also edited to add Home Alone as a favorite Christmas movie
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: I can't pick just one. :-p Religious favorites would be "Oh Holy Night" and "What child is This?" Secular faves are "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," Jackson 5's take on "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and the Bruce Springsteen version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." Least faves are "Santa Baby" and spoofs of "the 12 Days of Christmas."

Favorite Christmas movie/special: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Elf is a very close second)

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): It was actually the entire Christmas right before DS was born. DH and I didn't have a lot of money, so we did little things -- I got him a Superdad T-shirt, he got me this giant, blue sweatshirt and fuzzy socks bc I was always freezing and he thought I might want them while in labor. Just goofy stuff, but it was heartfelt and really nice. 

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Not at all. And if it is going to snow, it can move along before we need to travel to anyone's home.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? If we get together with my family on Christmas Eve, then we exchange with them then. But if it's just us at home, not usually.

• Options
    @melody921 I just posted an UO about National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: I have a lot of favorites--most of the moldy oldies from the hymnal like Angels from the Realms of Glory, In the Bleak Midwinter, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear (except Away in a Manger which is so damn corny I could barf)--I love those from singing them every year.  And for secular songs, December sung by Kay Starr and White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby.

Favorite Christmas movie/special: Holiday Inn. And in a tie for second, White Christmas and It's A Wonderful Life.  

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): DH bought me a diamond necklace one of the early Christmases we had together, before we were married.  It wasn't anything crazy or even really perfectly my style, but it was sort of a "Yes, I'm serious about this" present.  I still wear it often.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Yes, please. I love white Christmases--and considering that the alternative is cold and grey, cold and sparkling white seems much more pleasant.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? Nope.  Sacrilege.  
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Favorite, hands down Silent Night by candle light to close out Christmas Eve service. Least, IDK maybe any pop artist trying to create the next big Christmas hit (I'm looking at you Ariana Grande).

Favorite Christmas movie/special: Favorite (so many): Love Actually, Christmas Vacation, Elf, The Ref.

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): My engagement ring :)  Growing up I have two very strong Christmas gift memories. One when I was 3 or 4 and got a big play kitchen and washer/dryer, and a baby doll in a stroller. The other I was 8 and we all got new ski gear and we went on a surprise trip to Tahoe later that day.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Not here in Nashville but last year we were in MI and two years ago we rented a house in the NC mountains.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? No. When I was younger we opened new pjs but then that got pushed up to earlier in the month so we could get more wear out of them.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: My favorite is undoubtedly "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas". That song makes me so happy. My least favorite, I don't know the name of it but it's the girl singing about being single for Christmas. I hate it. Favorite Christmas movie/special: How the Grinch Stole Christmas- the original cartoon version. Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): hmmm... Probably the sapphire ring DH bought me on our first Christmas together. Do you have to have a white Christmas?: not usually, but sometimes Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? We usually open Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Favorite is Carol of the Bells, especially the George Winston version. Least: hmm I'm not sure I have a least favorite that I can think of.

Favorite Christmas movie/special: Santa Clause movies!

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): I don't know that I have one that sticks out too much. My DH (then fiance or BF) surprised me one year with Bath and Body works stuff.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: no but I'd love one.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? nope.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Sorry about my wall of text guys. IPad hates formatting and I can't fix it.
  • Options
    kjskjs said:
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Favorite is Carol of the Bells, especially the George Winston version. Least: hmm I'm not sure I have a least favorite that I can think of.

Favorite Christmas movie/special: Santa Clause movies!

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): I don't know that I have one that sticks out too much. My DH (then fiance or BF) surprised me one year with Bath and Body works stuff.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: no but I'd love one.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? nope.
    Okay, so I love The Santa Claus... and H and I often say 'Popo Gigio!!!' when we talk about Santa. BUT, did you know..... Popo Gigio is NOT a term for Santa??? (mind=blown) On the Johnny Carson show, he had a skit with a little mouse named Topo Gigio, and that's where that came from.

I seriously thought Popo Gigio must be dutch or something. 
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited December 2014
    mnkate said:

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? Yes, we do Christmas Eve at my parents, so we open gifts from them and Santa always stops by to give us each a gift early. We've also started letting Augie open his gifts from my MIL, who mails them to us. Otherwise Christmas morning is just overwhelming.
    We spread out the gifts all day. I wonder if that will work this year though after seeing James tear through his birthday presents last night   :-S

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    pharmer78pharmer78 member
    edited December 2014

Favorite Christmas song:
    Christmas Wrapping from The Waitresses
    Least Favorite:
    Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Favorite to sing:
    Silent Night (and Silver Bells in an exaggerated voice)

Elf, A Christmas Story, Love Actually
    I *want* to love all the old stop animation ones like Rudolph but my husband and I often give each other WTF? looks during them because they're kind of weird.

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons):
    Snoopy Sno Cone machine...my mom didn't want to hear the noise so she had me make my delicious sno cones outside in the middle of winter.
    My mom bought my brother and I cell phones when we were teenagers (FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY !?!?!?! boy have times changed!) and wrapped them in boxes and called us...so we had ringing presents.

Not an option where I'm at in California

Yes, one.

• Options

Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Bing Crosby singing White Christmas or Amy Grant's The Night Before Christmas

Favorite Christmas movie/special: Nation Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is the BEST movie eva! Runner up: Home Alone

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): This year DH and I aren't getting each other anything because we bought our house in Oct. So, I consider it the best present I've ever received.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I prefer it, but this year I'll be in Key Largo on Christmas Day, so I won't have one and I'm fine with it.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? Yup. We always pick one and open it.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    StasiStasi member
    edited December 2014

What is this Holiday Inn movie everyone mentions?

Edit: Oh the irony that I list Bing Crosby's White Christmas as one of my favorite songs and it's actually IN the movie Holiday Inn, which I've never heard of until right now...ha!

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    I'm decorating and listening to Christmas music this afternoon, so I'm feeling jolly :)

Favorite: Mele Kalikimaka, the Bing version.
    Least Favorite: The Little Drummer Boy.  It makes me physically angry.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

I wish it was some big sentimental thing, but my DH bought me a heated mattress pad.  It's pretty much my favorite gift. :-)

Fuck no.  I hate snow.  The song is enough for me.

Yes, because we do Christmas with my siblings on Christmas eve. :-)  Growing up we always opened 1 on Christmas eve (because my Dad & I were super impatient) but it was always something small like a book or a CD.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

I always forget about this song, but yes!

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Stasi said:

Edit: Oh the irony that I list Bing Crosby's White Christmas as one of my favorite songs and it's actually IN the movie Holiday Inn, which I've never heard of until right now...ha!

WATCH IT! But be warned, there's a weird racist blackface number in the middle.

I hope I don't get flamed for saying it's still totally worth it to watch.
  • Options
    hmp1 said:

I always forget about this song, but yes!
    ooh me too! It's one of my favorites as well.

And I haven't heard of Holiday Inn, either. I'm adding it to my list of things to watch!
  • Options
    Anything from the Carpenters Christmas album

Cartoon- the Grinch

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): When I was 16 I asked for some stuff from Delias and an exhaust for my car (el oh el).  I opened the right-sized-box, and there it was, my only gift:  The ugliest cedar hope chest I have ever seen in my life, with a big pink and maroon heart painted on the front. 

It's in my garage - it's so ugly.  Then my mom spent the day crying because I was an ungrateful bitch, due to my two second delay in pretending to love it.  I spent the day telling her how speshul it was and she just pouted.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Love to!

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? Yup, Christmas Eve Pajamas. 
    DH's family does their Christmas on the eve now so we open lots.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options

Favorite: christmas in killarny
    Least favorite: most 90s pop songs, but especially Mariah careys

Muppet family christmas!

Most memorable is my stand mixer, I love it! I'd asked for it for years, and my mom is known for reboxing so I was sure it wasn't really in it.

I love it to be nice and white for christmas. Preferably light snow as we go to church at 6pm on christmas eve.

Starting when I was in elementary we got to start opening one present on xmas eve, typically a great grandparent one. It was a tradition of our neighbour's, who we spent that xmas eve with that year.
  • Options
    @harti09‌ I was a Samantha girl myself! My great aunt gave her to me. I'm dying for the time to pass her down to Penny!
  • Options
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: I love Pachabels (sp) Cannon. And really any traditional Christmas song. And I spend a good proportion of time singing Rockin Around the Christmas Tree at top volume. Least favorite? DH has Twisted Sister Christmas, the fucking album. Some day i will burn that thing.

Favorite Christmas movie/special: Scrooged!

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): I got a Casio keyboard when I was like, 8 or 9? That thing was awesome. My parents even got me piano lessons on it. Clearly, I never made it famous, but it was still awesome.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Well we live in New England, so Christmas without snow is just cold and miserable. But I'll take my childhood Florida Christmases any day of the week. Luminaries and Palm trees with Christmas lights beat snow hands down.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? But of course! Just one, something small, usually from someone far away, if possible.
  • Options
    MelsaX said:

Fav: anything on the She and Him Christmas album
    Least: misteltoe and wine
    Favorite Christmas movie/special: Elf!
    Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): Andy, he was conceived on Christmas. Haha.
    Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I never will have one. Summer Christmas here!
    Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? None on Xmas eve.

I've got a girlfriend in NZ, and I was just looking at her pictures of the kids in short sleeved Santa rompers. Do you guys just ignore all of the wintry Christmas hype...snowfall songs and snowy Christmas movies. Is it weird? HOW DOES THAT WORK??

I mean, Florida was warmish and it never snowed, but we thought it was cold and wintry. You guys are in summer mode. I am so fing curious.
  • Options
    MelsaX said:

Fav: anything on the She and Him Christmas album
    Least: misteltoe and wine
    Favorite Christmas movie/special: Elf!
    Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): Andy, he was conceived on Christmas. Haha.
    Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I never will have one. Summer Christmas here!
    Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? None on Xmas eve.

I've got a girlfriend in NZ, and I was just looking at her pictures of the kids in short sleeved Santa rompers. Do you guys just ignore all of the wintry Christmas hype...snowfall songs and snowy Christmas movies. Is it weird? HOW DOES THAT WORK??

I mean, Florida was warmish and it never snowed, but we thought it was cold and wintry. You guys are in summer mode. I am so fing curious.
  • Options
    MelsaX said:
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Fav: anything on the She and Him Christmas album Least: misteltoe and wine Favorite Christmas movie/special: Elf! Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): Andy, he was conceived on Christmas. Haha. Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I never will have one. Summer Christmas here! Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? None on Xmas eve.
    I heart you more and more every day!!
  • Options
    I just saw this - so I'm joining in a day late.  ;) 

Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Favorite - I have so many.  I love Christmas music.  I love the Cannon Rock song by Trans Siberian Orchestra, I love Emmanuel, I love Silent Night, I love Where are you Christmas? from the Grinch Movie

The only song I don't like is the hippopotamus song.  It's annoying.

Favorite Christmas movie/special:  Miracle on 34th Street

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): I remember the year that I didn't get the Mouse Trap game I wanted.  I also remember the year I got my American Doll from Santa and then my Mom accidentally told my grandma all about how she bought it later that day.  No more Santa Claus!

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I love it.  I only love snow until Jan 1st, then it can go away.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve?  Traditionally, we were given PJs for Christmas Eve, which we've carried on with our boys.  My mom did it to ensure that we had new PJs for all Christmas morning pictures.  I love finding matching PJs for my boys.  

We also celebrate with family on Christmas eve, so that's usually a busier day with more gifts than Christmas Day.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Stasi said:

Um, yeah, I didn't know what Holiday Inn was until now either.  Oops!  :)

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I can't believe how many of you guys have never seen Holiday Inn!!  Was I the only one who watched old movies with my Grandma?
    Casablanca & Gone with the Wine were my favorite movies was I was 11.  Talk about a weird kid. ;-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    MelsaX said:
    Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: Fav: anything on the She and Him Christmas album Least: misteltoe and wine Favorite Christmas movie/special: Elf! Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): Andy, he was conceived on Christmas. Haha. Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I never will have one. Summer Christmas here! Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? None on Xmas eve.
    I heart you more and more every day!!

Agreed! And I want to add Cruz to the best Christmas gift too (give or take a day)

• Options
    Anything from the Carpenters Christmas album

Cartoon- the Grinch

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): When I was 16 I asked for some stuff from Delias and an exhaust for my car (el oh el).  I opened the right-sized-box, and there it was, my only gift:  The ugliest cedar hope chest I have ever seen in my life, with a big pink and maroon heart painted on the front. 

It's in my garage - it's so ugly.  Then my mom spent the day crying because I was an ungrateful bitch, due to my two second delay in pretending to love it.  I spent the day telling her how speshul it was and she just pouted.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: Love to!

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? Yup, Christmas Eve Pajamas. 
    DH's family does their Christmas on the eve now so we open lots.
    @tinyhumantoe, that ugly hope chest sounds like something MIL would pick out.

• Options
    PenelopePondPenelopePond member
    edited December 2014

I love all Christmas songs sung by Michael Buble.  Don't have a least favorite.
    White Christmas and Holiday Inn.  ETA: Love Actually and The Holiday.  Now I need to watch all of these.
    Getting pregnant with Sean?  Ha.
    I love white Christmases.  Unfortunately Florida does not cooperate.
    Yes, always one present Christmas Eve.  Although this year it looks like we'll be doing Christmas Eve at my inlaws, so we'll open all of our presents from them there.  I don't think the boys will get any presents from us on Christmas Eve since they'll be getting so many from my inlaws.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I can't believe how many of you guys have never seen Holiday Inn!!  Was I the only one who watched old movies with my Grandma?
    Casablanca & Gone with the Wine were my favorite movies was I was 11.  Talk about a weird kid. ;-)
    I like Holiday Inn more than White Christmas :\">
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    hmm i love them all - i cannot pick a favorite
    but i do not like the Christmas Shoes song - too sad!
    I love watching the Grinich Every year,
    i don't know if i have an answer for this one.  hmmmm
    Not really, but it does make it pretty
    We have been visiting my uncle's house on Christmas Eve so we do a gift exchange there with my cousins.  Otherwise presents are opened Christmas morning
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Options
    I've never seen Holiday Inn.  I saw a previous post that said someone didn't know about Holiday Inn.........and I thought they meant the hotel.  I was so baffled, haha.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Nope--only it was my mom.  With a heavy emphasis on musicals.  I was really partial to Calamity Jane and Meet Me In St. Louis, which is also, by the way, a great movie for Christmas (Judy Garland and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"--gets me every time).
  • Options

Nope. No old movies with my gma, just Wheel of Fortune, Days of Our Lives and awesome Saturday night TV from the mid-90s like Golden Girls, Empty Nest, Nurses and Sisters (quite the line-up).
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    amandad715amandad715 member
    edited December 2014

Favorite and least favorite Christmas song: traditional-O Holy Night modern-Sarah McLachlan's Song for a Winter's Night

Favorite Christmas movie/special: hands down-Elf!! I also have to see Love Actually. But I love watching certain movies like You've Got Mail at this time of year (I think it came out as a holiday movie that year) and SATC the movie. I guess they are like comfort movies during the holiday season.

Most memorable Christmas present you've ever received (for good or bad reasons): Hmmmm...I remember getting a bike one year and this cool
    doll I wanted, so it was like 2 big gifts from Santa.

Do you have to have a white Christmas?: I don't mind a white Chelristmas or snow during Winter Break, as long as it's off the streets and looks pretty.

Do you open (at least) one present on Christmas Eve? We used to open 1 gift on Xmas eve and now we spend part of that day with one side of the family to squeeze it all in, so yes, we do open many gifts from family.

Ps-I liked this thread to get some holiday music ideas. I try to buy 1 new Christmas CD from iTunes a year to add to my collection.
    I worked retail for 6 or 7 years at Xmas listening to bad Holiday music usually from late October through Christmas Eve. Often the Christmas track was shorter & was repeated through the day, and after a long shift, you would have heard the same stupid pop songs over & over(I'm looking at you Britney, Mariah and NSYNc and whoever sang "step into Christmas") and it took me MANY years to be able to listen to Holiday music without being stabby.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MelsaX said:

@eshee8198‌ it's hard to ignore the whole snowy and wintery Christmas thing. Seeing as 99% of Christmas movies involve it.
    When I was a kid I asked my parents why we didn't have snow on Christmas. They simply said "wrong hemisphere, kid. It doesn't snow here at Christmas." But it doesn't snow in the part of NZ I am in anyway, so that kind of helped.

Where in NZ is your friend?

Umm...Lower Hutt? Does that sound right? I've never been, she was working in the UK when we met. But nz is our dream destination!
  • Options
    harti09 said:
     Ya'll - Holiday Inn, really?

No way is it better than White Christmas. I'm a super fan of Technicolor, so that may be why I haven't ventured into Holiday Inn before. I watched it tonight.

The cast is top notch. I was underwhelmed though...and then the giant black face scene! Nope. I mean I get it with the time period and all, but seriously?  The maid and her children were great, but the rest got a huge side eye from me. Definitely not topping my list. Again, I get it...but yeah.

Agree to disagree. White Christmas all the way. 

::edit - I see that scene was removed from many TV versions. Google it. TCM pulled it from any major lineup, which is why I think I haven't seen it before. 
    I think a big part of this is also the huge stylistic difference between a 1930s-1940s musical and a 1950s-1960s musical.  I like the older ones--I'll take Broadway Melody over Rogers and Hammerstein any day.

I get that the blackface number is uncomfortable from a modern perspective.  If this bothered you, don't watch any Al Jolson.  Just don't.  Especially Wonder Bar.

But you just can't miss Fred Astaire in two of the BEST dance numbers he did--the drunk New Year's Eve and Firecracker Fourth.  Those are awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"