July 2014 Moms
Options

Piercing baby's ears

Anyone have done it or think of doing it? My pediatrician said they do it in the doctors office and we can get them done after 4 months and she's almost 5 months. Curious what everyone's take on it is...

Re: Piercing baby's ears

• Options
    I'm going to wait until she is older and I can make her work for them. Haha
    My cousin has her DD ears pierced when she was a baby and she regretted it. She said they were a pain to take care of. So I'm for sure waiting until DD wants me them.
  • Options
    Piercing a baby's ears seems kind of ghetto to me. In any event, the baby doesn't care ... Why not wait?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have decided to let it be DD's decision when she is older.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We're also waiting. DH wants it to be her idea. I had mine done as a young infant.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    Nichole8787Nichole8787 member
    edited November 2014
    I would wait until she could decide for herself. It's altering her body. She should make that choice. I don't have a daughter though so it's all theory to me.
    image.
  • Options
    @Bliss+Berry‌ AMEN SISTER!

When I was pregnant I was going to pierce DD's asap. Now that she's here, I'm not so sure. I might wait till she's older and wants them done. My mom took me when I was 8 months and I'm so happy she did. In my career I can't wear any jewelry. Since I've had the holes forever I can always put earrings in when I'm not working.
  • Options
    I was all for it before DD was born and now that she's here I just can't imagine piercing her tiny ear lobes :( but again to each their own! I will pierce them when she's older, as long as it's something she wants.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    We'll be waiting.
  • Options
    I've actually never thought of it from a cultural perspective. I'm glad that was mentioned.

I don't wear earrings so my girls are on their own.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    I waited. My DD is almost 2. I figure she can decide if she wants them or not. I got mine when I was 7 and remember feeling so grown up. Ftr though I think babies with pierced ears are adorable. It was just a personal decision to wait. I don't think there is a wrong or right time. Do what's right for your family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sorry; I expressed myself inartfully. What I meant to express is that where I have lived people of relatively high levels of education or socioeconomic status generally don't pierce babies' ears, and doing so would get you the side-eye. It makes sense that this can differ by region or ethnicity. But I still think that exposing a baby to potential pain or infection for cosmetic reasons is not a great idea. Regardless of cultural conventions. Just one person's opinion and other will disagree.
  • Options
    dobbyisfreedobbyisfree member
    edited November 2014
    I would never do it, but its because I had so much trouble myself. I have a nickle allergy and probably an allergy to other metal additives. My ears swell like crazy and hurt and are red and obnoxious when I have most earrings. Also, I had it done multiple times and I have these... theyre closed so theyre not holes, but dents I guess in my ears. Not pretty. So because it sucks for me, Id want it to be the kids own choice. I would rather not have them then have the trouble I did... and I hate how the holes look now. Everyone has their horror stories, I guess, but I mentally cringe in pain when I see babies pierced.
  • Options
    Also, almost every baby I know with earrings has a more expensive pair in her ears than I do.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • Options
    It breaks my heart hearing my baby cry when she gets a shot, I would never want to do something that would cause her more pain. My mom made me wait until I was 12, I probably won't make my daughter wait that long, but I'll definitely make her wait until she fully knows that it entails pain and care.
  • Options
    brooklynesquebrooklynesque member
    edited November 2014
    Sorry; I expressed myself inartfully. What I meant to express is that where I have lived people of relatively high levels of education or socioeconomic status generally don't pierce babies' ears, and doing so would get you the side-eye. It makes sense that this can differ by region or ethnicity. But I still think that exposing a baby to potential pain or infection for cosmetic reasons is not a great idea. Regardless of cultural conventions. Just one person's opinion and other will disagree.
    @brooklynesque Wow, I don't know what's worse.  What the actual fuck?  Also, I guess living in all those places around all those folks with high levels of education didn't rub off on you.  Too bad.

Many of the people in my circle are higher educated.  Miami isn't third world, we have doctors, lawyers, geneticists, accountants...etc.  Are you honestly implying people from Latin and Caribbean countries aren't educated enough to know better?  I'm appalled.  Seriously.   Just stop talking.  You sound like an ignorant racist.

I'm curious, would you also say the same thing to a Jewish person about their choice to circumcise?  

Edited.  Also, I'm wondering how this one didn't end up on my post-it yet.  
    Like I said, it makes sense that this can differ by region or ethnicity.  I totally take your word for it that it's a normal thing in Miami (I love the Cuban and South American inflected culture there, BTW).  But I stand by my point that in some places it's viewed as kind of déclassé.  What is normal in Miami might raise eyebrows in Boston or New York or some other regions of the country (in my experience).  My husband is from the Pacific Northwest, and when I asked him a few minutes ago about his associations with baby ear piercing, never having discussed the subject with him in any way, shape, or form before, the first thing out of his mouth was along the same lines.  

This isn't intended as a personal attack on you or anyone else.  OP was soliciting views and I gave mine. I'm sorry if it wasn't what some people wanted to hear. Personally, if I were considering this, it's something I would want to hear, and others are of course free to disagree.

ETA:  Re circumcision, are you seriously equating a body modification that a religious group sees as a command from God with a cosmetic procedure?
  • Options
    And apparently if you don't have money or a college degree, you're also ghetto. You hear that, family of mine? Hard working blue collar families are GHETTO. Even if you don't pierce your baby's ears.
    Not what I meant; sorry to offend.  A lot of hard working blue collar folks in my family as well.
  • Options
    I did it at 4 months with my daughter and plan to soon with this one as well. They were much easier to care for without her messing with them. And my oldest did not even cry when she got hers done.
  • Options
    TexasGirl81TexasGirl81 member
    edited December 2014

@kam3100‌ lol!! Ghetto to the max, we are such Mexican and Salvadorans! And thank you.

@Bliss+Berry‌
    Thank you! Her bangs were a bit short thanks to her daddy giving her an at home haircut! :P

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    Not into it. We will wait until she's older.

Mom to one beautiful July '14 little girl

• Options
    Whoa... I'll be honest I pretty much knew what the fall out would entail for this question. Some people have such seriously strong opinions about it, but I was curious.

I never felt too strongly either way. I think I got mine done when I was 5 with my mom and I was a pretty fearless kid so I asked to go first. My poor mom was so nervous to get her own done she thought going girst would help her and show me it was no big deal but nope I jumped right in the seat.

In terms of hygiene I definitely trust the peditrician more than some jeweler.

I actually think it would be easier to keep clean doing it now because they aren't getting all that dirty and I could be in charge of making sure it is kept clean and heals correctly.

So with all that said I'm getting them done in the morning. I'm nervous, but I'm happy with my decision and can't wait to see how cute she looks with her new earrings!!

FWIW thanks for all your opinions.

• Options
    I'm waiting for DD to be old enough to care for them and make the choice herself. However, I would say if your pediatrician does it and it's what you want for your kids, go for it. I think it's great that you a pedi that can do it properly.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    kam3100 said:
    I have decided to let it be DD's decision when she is older.
    This. DH and I want her to be able to decide if she wants them done.

ZBC 11/2012 & SNC 7/2014

bridemaids angry penis annie

• Options
    DH is completely against it and I don't have much of an opinion so we'll be waiting.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Shit. I'm in the Northeast too. This totally means I'm following the wrong Jones family. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"