Natural Birth
Options

Placenta Previa *Update in OP*

mandi195mandi195 member
edited November 2014 in Natural Birth
So, I've lurked this board for a while, post occasionally. After being told for 2 months that we had a low lying placenta that just touched the edge of my cervix, I was told yesterday that in fact I have a complete posterior previa (placenta completely covering cervix). Obviously, unless the placenta happens to move up and away from the cervix as my uterus expands (not great odds after 20 weeks, or with complete previa) I will have to have a c-section to deliver my baby; likely early, and likely after some bed rest later in pregnancy if I develop any bleeding. 
Just wondering if anyone else planning a natural birth ended up in a similar situation, and how to deal with the emotions that go with it. I feel like I'm being robbed of my opportunity to let my body do what it was made for. I feel sad that I won't get to experience the med-free, natural birth I had been planning. But, at the end of the day, I feel grateful that my little one is healthy and growing stronger daily, and will obviously do whatever is necessary to bring her into this world with as little risk as possible. I'm just feeling pretty bummed right now. 
**UPDATE** Talked with the MFM doctor today, and she said that they no longer use terms such as partial or marginal previa; it's either complete previa or nothing. (Which is what likely caused the confusion, as my OB uses those terms) That said, she said the edge of my placenta is just touching my cervical OS, which means that there is still a good chance that it will move up, and also that I don't need to be on any restrictions or rest. Happy day! Thanks again for all of your input ladies!

Re: Placenta Previa *Update in OP*

• Options

hey Mandi, I was told at 14 weeks that I would be in your same boat, but the problem is correcting itself and we're trending towards being able to do a natural delivery again. Hang in there! Things can change!!

• Options
    @Jenilee1290 how far along are you now? I was 20 weeks at my last scan, and will be 26 at the next one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had that or similar issues but I'm sorry you have to deal with it. It'd be great for it to resolve on its own but I think it's good to address your feelings in case it doesn't. Maybe it would be comforting to research and discuss family-centered cesarean with your doctor?
    I've never even heard of this. I will look into it for sure. Thank you!
  • Options
    @mandi195 I am 23 weeks now.
  • Options
    @mandi195 my freaking doctor was all doom and gloom the night I went to ER bc I was bleeding. I only learned after the fact that it may not be such a bad ordeal. I can't promise anything though, even for myself I don't know what will happen for sure.
  • Options
    @Jenilee1290I think the part that is the most frustrating for me is that the 2 times I met with MFM, they said it was just bordering, that they weren't even going to call it a previa yet, and not to worry... but the report MFM gave to my OB says "complete posterior previa" which is not at all what we were told. I'm just confused and irritated at this point, and terrified of a c-section. 
  • Options
    @mandi195 My best advice is just to wait and see. I know that's HARD (been there!) but it'll be in your best interests to just wait. And if a c-section is necessary, don't fret it. It's more complicated and a longer recovery time and all but they do millions of them. The most important thing is your baby's health! :) Are you on sex restrictions too? I had that and it was a challenge. Even now because I had the condition, I'm not really supposed to have sex or even have orgasms. Hoping things continue improving as I move along...
  • Options
    @Jenilee1290 They didn't put me on any type of rest after my last MFM appt, and my OB didn't either because there was confusion between what I was told and what the report said. I'm terrified to have sex at this point, because I don't know if I'm at risk for a bleed or not, so I'm just abstaining. The c-section freaks me out because I have serious fears associated with hospitals and the like to begin with; every surgery or procedure I've ever had has had complications (I almost died during a D&C following a miscarriage years ago), and most pain medicaitons (Morphine, Percocet, Oxy, etc) have zero effect on me whatsoever, so recovery will be horrible. :( Pity party in full effect! 
  • Options
    @mandi195 Awww well hang in there! You're welcome to private message me anytime if you need to vent. *hugs*
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with marginal previa at my 20 wk u/s and was put on zero restrictions and had no bleeding. I freaked out about a c/s until my scan at 30 wks. My placenta was a good 4cm away and they said I'm in the clear. I hope yours moves as well. I was terrified of the thought of a c/s as well. I don't remember what I've seen them called but I'd look up gentle c/s and ask the OB if it's an option. I've heard some will allow you to do delayed cord clamping and skin to skin in the OR. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @marriedinaugust Thanks - I was told mine was marginal too, but then the report MFM gave to my OB said complete, so I have no idea what's going on. I'm hoping I get lucky like you and @Jenilee1290 and mine moves! I'll look into the option you suggested; having STS and BF right away are very important to me, so I'm hoping we can find a way to still incorporate those things. 
  • Options
    JCWhiteyJCWhitey member
    edited November 2014
    That is promising news you got from your midwife!  I wish they would use terms that educated women understand rather than blanket statements like that.  When I was pregnant with DS I had PP originally and then it slowly started moving away and I was always told how far away it was (I went from placenta previa to 2cm to 6cm.).  I was told I'd experience heavier bleeding during labor than normal, but it was generally considered safe to deliver by my doctor.  Google tells me 10cm is pretty the "ideal" location so I was right on the cusp.  I did bleed quite a bit during labor but I have nothing to compare it to so I don't know it I bled a lot more or just a normal amount.

I don't know when I got to be 6cm away, but I was 2cm at my a/s and then 6cm at my 28 week follow-up at which point they deemed me far enough away.  My midwife told me that it's possible to move further away after that point, but usually if it's not far enough away by 30 weeks they don't expect it to be.  So you still have a bit of time!  I hope it moves, but if not a healthy baby and healthy mom is obviously the best outcome possible.  You won't get the birth you've been wanting but you get to pick your baby's birthday, don't have to experience driving in a car in labor, having your water break somewhere embarrassing, etc.  There are perks to scheduled c-sections.  Plus recovery from those tend to be a lot easier than an emergency c-section.

ETA: Had my units of measure wrong.  :)  ETA2: The stupid C on my keyboard really needs to be jabbed to work.  I swear my placenta was never at any time 6 meters away.  :)

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Thanks ladies! Fingers crossed that it will move. My OB says that as long as the edge of the placenta is at least 1 cm away from the outside edge of my cervix, that they'll let me try natural birth. I'll update when I know more! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"