June 2014 Moms
Options

Solids

as our LO get to that age, who's started solids?

What foods have you tried?

Any BLW? How's that going?

Any cute funny faces or messy baby face pics to share?

Re: Solids

• Options
    I've tried AJ on two things so far -- sweet potatoes and green beans.  He prefers the sweet potato.  I'll ge giving him squash OR sweet peas tonight.  My pedi advised we wait until 6 months but when AJ literally tried to grab something off DH plate and put it in his mouth I decided it was time.   AJ was a week over 5 months when he had the sweet potatoes and I introduce 1 food per week.  NO pics to share on here but I do have a really cute video of his first bites.

• Options
    DS started solids right around 5 months.  He gets one new food item a week right now.  So far we've done apples, carrots and butternut squash.  He's really enjoying the squash this week.  He's also starting to get the hang of eating.  The next foods I'm going to give him are peas, green beans, pears and sweet potato. 

How much is everyone feeding LO?  DS gets "dinner" only right now, which is 1-2 cubes worth (I made purees and froze them in ice cube trays).  I'm guessing this equates to a couple of ounces.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Following :) LO is starting to show a little bit more interest so I want to see what everyone is doing

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
    BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

• Options
    We started just before 4 months and with rice and green beans. Not that he is almost 6 month he has breakfast ( fruit and oats) and supper (veggies and rice).
    BFP #1 April 28, 2009 - miscarriage 5/17/2009
    BFP #2 March 21, 2010 CP 3/28/2010
    BFP # 3 August 1, 2010 baby boy April 7, 2011
    BFP #4 February 9, 2013 missed miscarriage @ 15 weeks on May 1st , 2013.
    fingers crossed BFP #5 10/03/2013 due June 10, 2014. Unplanned C-Section on May 29, 2014. Welcome Grant!
  • Options
    We started around 4.5 months. Right now, at 5.5 months, he gets three meals a day and eats 4-5 ounces a meal. My kids like their solids, C was the same way. We've done oatmeal and lots of fruits and veggies. He gets a new food every three or four days if I have something in the house. I'm making my own food and freezing it in glass babyfood jars that I was given. I also spice most of his foods, which he loves. He does prefer warm food to cold, and will not eat cereal if I mix it with formula, only water or purees.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I gave her two spoons of avocado and she really liked it. She's gonna be 5 months on Friday and is starting to show a lot of interest in the food I eat so I might start to introduce more solids even though I was planning to EBF until six months.
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Options
    We started about two weeks ago (D will be 6 months this Saturday).  We started with sweet potatoes and did 1-2 oz every night at dinner time.  I make and freeze in ice cube trays so it's easy to measure.  This week we added peas at lunch time (2-3 oz, he LOVES THEM!) and kept the 1-2 oz of sweet potatoes at dinner.  We tried oatmeal but it seemed to hurt his tummy, so we're going to stick with fruits and veggies for a while longer.  I'm going to do bananas this weekend.  I always just make sure not to try new foods within 3-4 days of each other so that if there's any sort of reaction, I know what caused it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We've been on solids since LO was 5 months... She gets cereal in the morning and a veggie at dinner time. She seems to be loving it! We knew it was time when she would just stare at us eating and try to grab anything we were putting in our mouths!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @nicolemcm he is adorable!

• Options
    We started last week :) rice cereal with bm was first, he was ok with it. Bananas went over well. Avocado is the most recent - we add a hint of garlic powder and he found that... interesting :)

I think next we are going to try peas.

It feels like it is taking him a while to get the hang of what's going on. There have been a few moments when he actually moves towards the spoon in the last few days, but before that, it was like... What is this? (We obviously didn't force anything, but eating wasn't as instinctual as I expected. He was showing so many signs of readiness).

image        image

• Options
    @nicolemcm he is adorable!
    aw thanks!
    your ds looks so sweet in your siggy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    JmeJoLee83JmeJoLee83 member
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone else's LO immediately stick their fist and or thumb in their mouth when taking a bite of food? We started rice cereal at 4.5 months and at almost 6 months he has has bananas and sweet potato. I'm just puzzled because he was doing great and reaching for the spoon and swallowing then all the sudden he seems more interested in playing with it than eating. I'm fine with the mess but I just don't want this to form a "habit". We will try apples this weekend
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options
    K is 5 1/2 months and we started her on swwet potatoes because she's been drinking too much BM. I was increasing her bottle size and she was still hangry in a couple of hours and wild scream until given more food. We spent a week drinking 35+ oz a day before I pulled the trigger and it's gotten her down between 28 - 32 oz. I'm only giving her about an oz. for breakfast and then lunch. We've now determined that we absolutely LOVE bananas. Carrots are possibly another favorite but she was in a crap mood today so it was hard to gage her reaction.
    MET: 12/31/06 ENGAGED: 5/23/11 MARRIED: 11/11/11 DD DOB: 6/6/14
    image image image
  • Options
    We've only tried a couple things since given the OK at her 4 month checkup which was about 3 weeks ago. I was never into the idea of doing cereal because it didn't provide much nutritional value beyond being iron-fortified, but DD is FF so she gets extra iron that way anyway so according to my pedi it was not needed. We tried it anyway because DH insisted (he was convinced she'd sleep longer if she ate it, which can be hit or miss as we all know) and she HATED it. Haha! So we have agreed to only do purees now. So far she's tried carrots and sweet potato. The sweet potato went over much better than the carrots, but I think I'll add some cinnamon to it next time to entice her a bit more.

• Options
    AandJ28AandJ28 member
    edited November 2014
    We started the day after her 4 month check-up when the pedi said GO! Lol. She's had bananas, apples, pears, prunes, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, and spinach. She is not a fan of the green veggies but loves all of the other things. She has oatmeal every once in a while but we keep it to only one meal a day for now. I'm awful and really don't know how much she eats per serving. I make my own and don't measure... I just go by her. When she is full, she clearly shows it. I'm looking forward to her 6 month appt as the pedi said she'll move to 2 meals a day and have more filling foods.

• Options
    Waiting until 6 months and her being able to sit up and going to do BLW. CAN'T WAIT! Pedi is not really on board.
  • Options
    Waiting until 6 months and her being able to sit up and going to do BLW. CAN'T WAIT! Pedi is not really on board.
    I've also noticed our medical professionals react a little bizarro when we tell them we're doing BLW. How strange, eh

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Our doctor was not into blw either. We also just couldn't wait for 6 months, soooo... Lol

image        image

• Options
    My first pediatrician had never heard of BLW so I disregarded her advice cuz I feel like a pedi should at least know what it is, look it up, and then form an opinion. She also kept pushing cereal even though WHO recommends 6 months so that confused me as well. Our new pedi has some BLW patients and had a much better reaction.
  • Options
    We got the go ahead to give solids, but we are going to wait... I think. He isn't sitting up on his own yet, so I want to wait for that. We are going to set up the high chair and start working more with him sitting up on his own. The first thing we are going to do though is prob oatmeal with breast milk. Just something very basic.
  • Options
    For those that are making your own food - what are you using to store the food? I have been trying to figure out the easiest system for freezing and storing baby food but can't decide on what to do.

• Options
    @frenchchocolate611‌ I was given about 30 jars of store bought baby food so I'm just washing and reusing as I go. You can buy baby food storage systems, but I know a lot of people freeze in ice cube trays and then stock in a zip lock freezer bag.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    @frenchchocolate611 I froze in ice cube trays and then transferred to ziplock bags.  I double bagged as well to try to keep them as fresh as possible.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't started yet, planning to at 6 months. I am thinking of sweet potatoes or avocados as the first food and a combo of BLW and purées. I came across this website and don't think I have seen it posted here before. If it has been, sorry for posting repeat info. Lots of good info and tips. https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com
  • Options
    Well. I couldn't wait till 6 months. We used the mesh feeder and last night I popped banana in there and tonight avocado. So fun! Will probably do sweet potato tomorrow.
  • Options
    She started with rice cereal at 4.5 months right before bed. Just a little bit to help her sleep longer. Now we have two fruit or veggie meals and still cereal before bed. She does not care for bananas. Loves peas, avocado, pumpkin and carrots. Apple and prunes are okay if mixed with some cereal. She does not like watery foods.
  • Options
    DS will be 6 months on December 1st so I plan to start BLW next month with a banana or avocado.
    ~Jessica~ 

• Options
    We started at 5 months with rice cereal. Our Pediatrician gave us the go ahead at 4, but we wanted to wait a little. At first he had no idea what to do with it and would just spit it out, but once he got more practice and we made it thicker he really began to enjoy it. We currently do 2 tablespoons per meal twice a day (breakfast and dinner). We were going to start some squash this weekend but LO was sick with a bad cold and fever so we held off.
  • Options
    @krystalann94‌ I microwave and then make sure I mix really well distribute the heat evenly and always test temp before we start feeding.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    We started rice cereal at 4,5 months but she was gassy and constipated.so we are skipping cereal altogether and at 5 months started homemade fruit and veggie purée. New one about every 3-4 days , at lunch but only about 1 oz - just for taste and spoon introduction. So far we did carrots, Apple, banana and sweet potatoes yesterday which she loved!
  • Options
    Has anyone's LO had reactions to solids?

DS has been tolerating rice cereal and baby oatmeal fine (introduced at 5 mo). Yesterday we tried a small amount of carrots and 2 hours later his stomach started churning and he vomited multiple times while having several intense poops. He developed some red blotches on his chest later that night. I called the ped and she suggested Benadryl as it sounded like an allergic reaction. He's been fine today, but it freaked me out a lot!

I'm wondering if this was an allergic reaction or if DS's stomach is not ready for solids yet... Anyone have experience with this?
  • Options
    @pinkchloe ‌ yikes that's awful! Poor guy! I'm no expert but I read somewhere that carrots may contain trace amounts of nitrates?? I waited to intro carrots until after I tried bananas and sweet potato. Maybe try another food in a little while after checking with the pedi Good luck!
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options

@pinkchloe ‌ yikes that's awful! Poor guy! I'm no expert but I read somewhere that carrots may contain trace amounts of nitrates?? I waited to intro carrots until after I tried bananas and sweet potato. Maybe try another food in a little while after checking with the pedi Good luck!

My pedi mentioned the nitrates but she said the result could be stomach troubles. I was surprised but she said she recommended premade over homemade for root vegetables and potatoes bc they screen for nitrates.
  • Options
    How much are your LOs eating overall. My little guy is almost 6 months and has 5 6oz bottles (spaced about 3hrs apart) with 2 tablespoons of rice cereal in the morning and 2/3 tablespoons of purée at night. He doesn't eat in the middle of the night. However he still seems hungry after his bottle - I was thinking of upping it to 7.5oz per bottle and spacing them 4 hours apart and adding a lunch purée between his afternoon bottles. Does that sound like too much? Also at what point does the amount of milk he's drinking start going down?
  • Options
    Does anyone else's LO not seem all that excited about solids?
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options
    @pinkchloe ‌ that happened to us the other day. Funny thing she had had avocado, which she has had a lot of. She threw up and had some blotches but it seemed to have resolved itself by lunch. So scary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"