September 2012 Moms
Options

Friday, Friday. Gotta get down on Friday.

Re: Friday, Friday. Gotta get down on Friday.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    I can't remember my FFFC, I had one but now it's gone. All that I know is that having Veteran's Day off messed me up. I am SO tired today. It did not help that H & I had a charity March of Dimes dinner last night and then had to pick up the house (and put away 2 large baskets of folded laundry :\">) after our tiny tornados tore through while they were here with my parents. Normally, is say F that and go to bed, but our cleaning lady comes today. FWP.
    DH couldn't figure out why I was so concerned last night with picking up everything in our basement before the cleaning people come through today. I told him it would go faster if he helped and that we weren't paying for people to help us if they can't even properly clean bc there are so many toys everywhere. Which brings me to another sticking point -- when the kids play and I'm there, I make them clean up (and help) before we leave the room. DH does not, and it makes me want to strangle someone when it looks messy.

My DH does this too. When he is alone with them, I come home to a huge mess of toys and him just sitting there playing on his phone. He thinks there's no point in cleaning because they will just mess it up again. Dumbest reasoning ever.
    I almost grabbed his phone and threw it out the window last night. I swear men just don't see the clutter the same way. It makes me anxious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I downloaded that take me to church song by hozier on my way to work.  Is that a confession?  i like it for some reason and listened to it 4 times.
    I love Hozier. I'm still kicking myself for not going to the show in September.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pokedot said:
    hmp1 said:
    Anyone watching the Today Show? Is Al Roker going to die on air? 

He did a "Rokerthon" where he reported the weather for 34 hours (?). Broke the record this morning but yes he sounded awful. I can't imagine talking for that long.

ETA: Spelled Roker wrong.

I know why but seriously this goes down as "things you should have done when you were younger". Train wreck.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    And yes I watch Nashville and love it too!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageVisit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    hmp1 said:
    Pokedot said:
    hmp1 said:
    Anyone watching the Today Show? Is Al Roker going to die on air? 

He did a "Rokerthon" where he reported the weather for 34 hours (?). Broke the record this morning but yes he sounded awful. I can't imagine talking for that long.

ETA: Spelled Roker wrong.

I know why but seriously this goes down as "things you should have done when you were younger". Train wreck.
    Haha I agree! I figured you knew but wanted to just make sure. I should have known better
    ;)

• Options
    Last night we hosted an event last night for 200+ people, some county thing with the chambers/rotary/business leaders - I don't even really know.  I appointed someone to handle it and moved on.  I found out Monday that there had been zero coordination between our person and the coordinator, so I told our person to freaking handle it. 

Long story short, I knew it wasn't handled and I didn't do anything about it.  I'm too tired to hold people's hands.  It worked out mostly okay, but I am very upset with the two people who were in charge of it and I was not nice about it last night at 10pm when it finally ended. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    smb+jab said:

My DH does this too. When he is alone with them, I come home to a huge mess of toys and him just sitting there playing on his phone. He thinks there's no point in cleaning because they will just mess it up again. Dumbest reasoning ever.
    This sounds like man reasoning.  I swear my husband sits right in the middle of the messy living room playing the ipad like nothing is going on and wonders why i am running around the house like a crazy person the at night trying to pick things up.  

We are trying to teach DS to put things away when he is finished playing but he is just learning.  However DH is 30 some years old and has not learned to put his shoes, coat, gym clothes etc away.  I feel like this is a life battle and i can win if i just can get my kid to learn, husbands are lost causes :)
    This is my reasoning half the time.  It's also why I don't make the bed.  But I think I've already shared on here that I'm not known for my homemaking skills. 
  • Options
    I watch Nashville @jenndub, but I'm an episode behind, so I didn't read what you wrote about the show.  LOVE it though.

I completely agree about sleeping with my kids over my husband.  Especially Reid. He's just so...cuddly.

My FFFC is that my boss is out today and all next week and doesn't return until the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  I'm in charge of my entire office while she's out (like 20 people plus work study students), but I still strolled in late today and I'm wearing a hoodie and jeans.  Ha!  Our office has been INSANE since July 1st and it just slowed down yesterday until January.  I think we all deserve to take it easy right now. And go to several happy hours.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    MRoxy0628 said:
    smb+jab said:

This sounds like man reasoning.  I swear my husband sits right in the middle of the messy living room playing the ipad like nothing is going on and wonders why i am running around the house like a crazy person the at night trying to pick things up.  

We are trying to teach DS to put things away when he is finished playing but he is just learning.  However DH is 30 some years old and has not learned to put his shoes, coat, gym clothes etc away.  I feel like this is a life battle and i can win if i just can get my kid to learn, husbands are lost causes :)
    This is my reasoning half the time.  It's also why I don't make the bed.  But I think I've already shared on here that I'm not known for my homemaking skills. 

Meh, I don't make the bed either. I also don't have to step over 110 disorganized pillows and blankets to get from the kitchen to the living room. The bed mess is self-contained and no one will probably even see it. The toy mess is taking over our house, a potential trip hazard and an anxiety-inducing annoyance.
  • Options
    dimples12 said:
    We have no cable. How can I catch up on Nashville? Help a sister out please :)
    They probably have the episodes on abc.com.
  • Options
    dimples12 said:
    dimples12 said:
    CJ was up way too late last night and was still up at 630 thus am. SMH. Now I'm not sure if the mall later is a bad plan. Random 2: I want to get DH a gun safe next week while he's away. No store will deliver. They'll load it but not deliver it. How's a 7 month pregnant lady supposed to get a 400 lb case off the truck? Or anyone? Crazy. If I buy it but wait for DH to return to get it, he will want to return it because he feels guilty about big purchases.
    We got our safe from Cabela's. The store didn't actually do the delivery, but they contracted it out to a company. The guys who delivered set it all up and making sure it was level and gave a little tutorial (not that a safe is super complicated). There was an additional fee for it and they charged per step getting into the house, but yeah, there was no other way to get that bad boy in.
    Awesome. Cabela's only 45 minutes away. My only hesitation now is that they might be on sale Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Is that a thing? Anyone know?
    Ask--and ask if they have price matching with a receipt.  A lot of stores will refund the difference if an item goes on sale less than 30 days or 14 days or whatever after you buy it.
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    I think it's really dumb to not use all of your vacation days. I view them as part of my overall salary package, and believe that time off ultimately makes me a better worker. Yet I'm always encountering people who let them go to waste.
    I lose some of my vacation days every year. It is terrible, and I agree with you that they are part of salary...that said, we get judged on billable hours and if I were to use all my vacation hours and work a straight 40 hour week, I would only be 85% utilized. That would mean I could miss no other working hours at all or I would likely not get any bonuses and face a bad review at year-end. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    I think it's really dumb to not use all of your vacation days. I view them as part of my overall salary package, and believe that time off ultimately makes me a better worker. Yet I'm always encountering people who let them go to waste.
    I lose some of my vacation days every year. It is terrible, and I agree with you that they are part of salary...that said, we get judged on billable hours and if I were to use all my vacation hours and work a straight 40 hour week, I would only be 85% utilized. That would mean I could miss no other working hours at all or I would likely not get any bonuses and face a bad review at year-end. 
    That is some unfair BS @FlamingEmu

• Options
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:
    Pretty much. I love the freedom of consulting, but my firm sucks in the work/life balance. They are trying, but I don't know how long it will take to see some changes. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:
    Pretty much. I love the freedom of consulting, but my firm sucks in the work/life balance. They are trying, but I don't know how long it will take to see some changes. 
    Yeah, consulting isn't sounding as glorious as I imagined it yesterday.

• Options
    I can't wait for my SIL's baby shower on Sunday. My mom and I have had fun planning it, and I want it to just be spectacular.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:
    melody921 said:
    Yeah, consulting isn't sounding as glorious as I imagined it yesterday.
    Ha! There are a lot of smaller firms out there that are awesome. I stay put because I am hoping to have more kids, and the firms benefits are amazing. Once I am done spending money trying to get pregnant, I will jump to a smaller firm and have a much happier work/life balance. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    edited November 2014

FFFC: I brought broccoli stuffed chicken for lunch (leftovers). Now our office smells like a big fart and it gave me gas. What was I thinking? Maybe the broccoli smell will overshadow my smell? Ugh!

ETA: Words

• Options
    I haven't eaten lunch yet (East Coast) so I am hungry. I am contemplating just having a liquid lunch. I am like 5 minutes away from asking DH to make sure he leaves work early enough to pick up the kiddo so I can do that. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    I've turned our atmosphere around here from people judging the people who take all vacation time as sub-par employees, to us really encouraging our employees to use all of their vacation responsibly. 

By responsibly, I mean with proper notice, with major deadlines/work duties in mind, and while leaving enough days to cover unforeseen sick days as ours is a single pool.  Encouraging people to take days off gives me an opportunity to bring up these caveats and I agree - people are happier. 

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    I'm using a couple of vacation hours for this afternoon. I was originally going to run a local race this evening. Then it got really cold, and I got lazy, so I'm still leaving early and going shopping/getting my nails done instead. 
    I'm taking all of my vacation days plus some. We're pretty laxed here to it isn't an issue but agree on it making me a better employee. My job isn't high stress but when I get a few days away I'm like a new person coming back to work. Energized and ready to go.

• Options
    Insurance question.

I think we are going to switch to a Marketplace plan.  Open enrollment is 11/15/14 to 2/15/15.  I'm due 2/12 - do you think it would be better to switch now or wait until DD is born?  It's cutting it pretty freaking close with the birth date, but I had W a week or two early (how terrible that I don't remember).

• Options
    melody921 said:
    I've turned our atmosphere around here from people judging the people who take all vacation time as sub-par employees, to us really encouraging our employees to use all of their vacation responsibly. 

By responsibly, I mean with proper notice, with major deadlines/work duties in mind, and while leaving enough days to cover unforeseen sick days as ours is a single pool.  Encouraging people to take days off gives me an opportunity to bring up these caveats and I agree - people are happier. 
    Yes, all those things should be taken into consideration. Your mention of sick days reminds me of another opinion I hold. We have a separate pool of sick time from vacation (although they're talking about combining them). If you have designated sick days, you'd better not be using all of them if you're not sick. I have a colleague who has taken, at last count, 13 sick days this year. We get 15, which is absurd, but they're not supposed to be used like vacation!

• Options
    MRoxy0628 said:
    smb+jab said:

Meh, I don't make the bed either. I also don't have to step over 110 disorganized pillows and blankets to get from the kitchen to the living room. The bed mess is self-contained and no one will probably even see it. The toy mess is taking over our house, a potential trip hazard and an anxiety-inducing annoyance.
    Its funny now that you mention making the bed, i never make ours.  I guess i am just anal-retentive about the downstairs being neat and orderly with things put in their places and pants not in the living room....

my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Options

melody921 said:
    I get 6 weeks PTO (use it or lose it) plus all the bank holidays, I have never used all of it. I take days when I need them and a couple full weeks off for vacation but I find it stressful to be away for too long and have so much to catch up on. I did take more days off when I worked in the office but rarely do I get sick enough that I can't sit behind my desk at home and join some conference calls. 6 weeks for a WFH job is a lot of time.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I'm at my OB's office for my first check up since I had Lennon. DH is meeting me here with the kids because he has to go to LA for work as soon as I'm done. He might have to be gone for the weekend, he'll find out today. I'm scared of having sex with him again. The first time back always terrifies me and I'm hoping he'll be gone this weekend.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    MrsKipper said:
    A lot of people on Camden's BMB and IRL friends that had babies at the same time are starting solids. I'm over here like...NOPE! It's not even a "you should wait until 6 months" thing, it's a "I know how much extra work that is and I'd rather not right now" thing. Seriously, feeding a toddler solid food is enough work, I don't need to add the baby in early, too! I seriously may wait until he's 7 or 8 months old.

Our pedi suggested starting solids for V at her 4 month appointment, I looked at her and said "I don't have time to complicate my day with a spoon fed baby, when she starts taking food off my plate she can start solids".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MrsKipper said:
    A lot of people on Camden's BMB and IRL friends that had babies at the same time are starting solids. I'm over here like...NOPE! It's not even a "you should wait until 6 months" thing, it's a "I know how much extra work that is and I'd rather not right now" thing. Seriously, feeding a toddler solid food is enough work, I don't need to add the baby in early, too! I seriously may wait until he's 7 or 8 months old.
    This is us, too!! I was so excited to start feeding Jasper, but with Briar I'm like... ugh, already??? We've tried twice? I think? And it's such a PITA. I'm counting down the days until I can give her something and she can do it herself... if she's anything like her brother, I've only got 3+ years to go! 

.:runs off to scrape up this afternoon's yogurt off the floor:.
  • Options
    tinyhumantoetinyhumantoe member
    edited November 2014
    Guess who is shopping for beds and night stands?  MEEEEE

Any good info on a cheap scalloped headboard?

$500 for this puppy, but I don't love the color (rather have grey) or legs and reviews say it's good for the price but chinky. 

• Options
    @loislayn I'm kind of nervous to switch from our work insurance to a marketplace plan.  I haven't gotten an actual quote, but I entered our data it looks like might be able to get a plan that is $1200/mo, 2500 deductible, 4000 max OOP for me, DH, and W.  That is better than what we have now. 

I am nervous about switching.  They'll let me switch pregnant, right?  I would need to make sure my OB and hospital are covered by this plan before switching, right?   EEEK

• Options
    dimples12 said:

We have no cable. How can I catch up on Nashville? Help a sister out please :)

Hulu+!

• Options

loislayn said:
    Yep, no longer need to worry about preexisting conditions, so you'll be good. You can always apply tomorrow (open enrollment opens tomorrow) and see what your actual cost will be and decide from there, but if you're going to switch, you may as well do it sooner rather than later.
    Ok I will fill out the form tomorrow and see about switching.  The only thing is that we've hit our deductible this year with my insurance and DH's insurance, so I wonder if I can set it to switch 1/1/15. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"