September 2012 Moms
Options

Toosday

13»

Re: Toosday

• Options
    The episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that's on right now has Captain Goofbeard (Goofy's grandpa).  The voice is Dick Van Dyke.  I love it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    @tyrannosaurusjess, is it Brittney Leigh Jewelry that you're using?  
    The bracelet that I had made for my Mom last year was so perfect.  She said it's the best gift she's ever gotten and she wears it everyday. :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm really torn between modern farmhouse and classic farmhouse in terms of style for my future house.  I LOVE thick woodwork, transom windows, pocket doors, huge amazing front doors,etc. 

If I could find a really old house to buy, I would restore all classic details and use more modern furnishings.  Alas, I cannot for the life of me find an old house to buy.  We've been looking for 3 years.  So I think I can do the opposite? (eta: meaning modern house, antique furnishings)

Modern farmhouse, with simple clean lines, and then bring some history into the home by buying some salvaged pieces from very old homes (from a reclamation/salvage place).  By keeping a very modern color pallet (whites, grays, blacks, blue grays), I could have all of the old details I love but with a more modern twist.  We'll have a more reliable home without the issues of buying a 100 yr old home but with some history fused in, and a more open floorplan without having to do a major remodel.  Anyway, this is what I'm thinking. 
    THT, you're in IN, right?  You don't have to say where if you don't want to, but ...DUDE where are you over there that you can't find a historic house you like?  Everywhere I lived was teeming with them.

You can definitely do the opposite, and I've seen it done.  (Check out "This Old House"--a lot of the houses aren't actually old, lol.)  Just a warning--a lot of those old details you love (like pocket doors and woodwork) can be  expensive as hell in new construction.  The old house, provided it's been cared for properly, may really be the better value.  Ours was built in 1870 and we really don't have "old house" issues with it--at least, none yet and no evidence of them in the recent past.  If it was built solidly and maintained, it's probably built better than new construction is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @MarisaKathleen‌ it's yvonneboutique... I'll have to check out your recommendation also, though!
  • Options
    Well here's my daily insurance bitch.  Got quoted for insurance under DH's since he has a $500 deductible and $4k max OOP (mine is $4k ded $8k max OOP 1395/mo premium).  We were quoted $1950/mo for the three of us, and it will go up significantly when DD2 arrives. 

So I went to healthcare.gov and looked at plans.  They are so expensive.  Some have a lower premium but max OOP of 12-13k.  I feel really discouraged.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Hyaline said:

THT, you're in IN, right?  You don't have to say where if you don't want to, but ...DUDE where are you over there that you can't find a historic house you like?  Everywhere I lived was teeming with them.

You can definitely do the opposite, and I've seen it done.  (Check out "This Old House"--a lot of the houses aren't actually old, lol.)  Just a warning--a lot of those old details you love (like pocket doors and woodwork) can be  expensive as hell in new construction.  The old house, provided it's been cared for properly, may really be the better value.  Ours was built in 1870 and we really don't have "old house" issues with it--at least, none yet and no evidence of them in the recent past.  If it was built solidly and maintained, it's probably built better than new construction is.
    Yes, Indiana.  There are a ton in town, but we want 10-20 acres and are looking in a specific area that will shave 15 minutes from my 1.5h commute.  It's actually a huge search area, but very few older homes - and nothing for sale in the last 5ish years.    :( 

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    I went and priced salvaged doors and pieces last year and they are expensive, but less expensive than new - and I like them better anyway.

• Options
    @MarisaKathleen‌ it's yvonneboutique... I'll have to check out your recommendation also, though!
    The one MK suggested is a lot more expensive and those prices were keeping me from pulling the trigger.  I reverse photo searched your suggestion and I'll be ordering one from a siggy on a card my late grandma gave me.  So affordable!

• Options
    THT insurance stinks. We have to get our own policy and it is so expensive! We put me on a separate policy because maternity coverage is very pricey. It was cheaper to have me on my own and my H and Q on one. Don't know if that's an option for you. It sucks all around!

We have already reached the deductible because of my mc. Our policy ends April 1 and I'm due April 4. My H REALLY wants this baby to come early so we don't have to pay the deductible all over again!!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hyaline said:

Yes, Indiana.  There are a ton in town, but we want 10-20 acres and are looking in a specific area that will shave 15 minutes from my 1.5h commute.  It's actually a huge search area, but very few older homes - and nothing for sale in the last 5ish years.    :( 
    Well, shoot :(  I will say, we ended up choosing between acreage and getting an older home here--and choosing older home was easy since acreage is fricking expensive around here.  But where I used to live, an older home on 5-20 acres was really common.  It made moving here disappointing, because a late Federal on 5-10 acres is my dream home.
  • Options
    I went and priced salvaged doors and pieces last year and they are expensive, but less expensive than new - and I like them better anyway.
    Oh yeah--salvaged stuff is a good deal.  I'm thinking more carpentry to mimic old house styles--like wooden banisters and pocket doors and door and window frames and stuff.  Insuring our house for "replacement" cost (yeah right, you can't "replace" a 100+ year old home) sobered me up right quick to how expensive paying someone for that kind of work is.
  • Options
    AlinnJo said:
    THT insurance stinks. We have to get our own policy and it is so expensive! We put me on a separate policy because maternity coverage is very pricey. It was cheaper to have me on my own and my H and Q on one. Don't know if that's an option for you. It sucks all around!

We have already reached the deductible because of my mc. Our policy ends April 1 and I'm due April 4. My H REALLY wants this baby to come early so we don't have to pay the deductible all over again!!
    We've looked into it both ways, and actually that's what we're doing now.  It's SO expensive :( 

• Options
    Hyaline said:
    Oh yeah--salvaged stuff is a good deal.  I'm thinking more carpentry to mimic old house styles--like wooden banisters and pocket doors and door and window frames and stuff.  Insuring our house for "replacement" cost (yeah right, you can't "replace" a 100+ year old home) sobered me up right quick to how expensive paying someone for that kind of work is.
    Haha, I talked to a builder about tall doors and other things like that, and he was like Uh, $$$$$. So doing the 'modern' look might eliminate some of that and make the house more affordable, and I'll throw the salvage items in the mix for the character I want. 

Here land is about $10-17k/acre where we are looking.  I would honestly settle for 8 acres, but ideally I want a million gazillion acres.  Ha.

• Options
    MelsaX said:
    DH and I would love to build. But in his mind he wants to build ultra-modern, I want old farmhouse. Looks like we will be buying and renovating again next time around.
    Go to my pinterest board.  I'm obsessed with both styles.  Fusion, baby.

• Options
    MelsaX said:
    My kid is obsessed with his butthole. Help me.
    BAD ANDY.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    @melsax did you clear coat it after you removed the tape? 

• Options

My grandpa passed away about a year and a half ago, and naturally my mom is still sad about it from time to time (it was her dad). Anywho, I found an Etsy shop that does custom jewelry using signatures and handwriting, so I decided I wanted to get her something with my Pippi's writing. I figured I was going to have a hard time, because my Mimmi was always the one who wrote in cards and notes and such, and I couldn't find anything of mine that had his handwriting, and I didn't want to ask her because she'd know something was up. I talked with my uncle who said he would round things up for me, still thinking I'd have to piece together letters to get it to say what I wanted. Well I got the stuff in the mail today, and I have NEVER seen my Pippi write in cursive, or sign anything, but he had randomly saved a note that said blahblahblah, gone fishing, Love Dad. I am ECSTATIC! He was obsessed with fishing... like, Ob.Sess.Ed. It seems kind of silly to have that written on a bracelet or necklace, but if you knew him it makes perfect sense. I'm pretty sure my mom is going to just die, and I can't wait to give it to her!!!

(an example of the bracelets...) sorry for the hugeness... I seem to only be able to ever post 19ft pictures... 
    Oh my gosh!! I am going to steal this idea for my mom. She is sooooo hard to buy for and my Nana passed away last summer. I have seen that stuff before hit not until you explained it, did I think about ever doing that.
    This would be perfect bc she always sent cards and wrote her name in books for the boys too.
    What is the Esty shop called? (I'm sure I could look myself, but you know.....lazy.)
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @tyrannosaurusjess‌
    I kept reading and got the Etsy shop!

• Options
    @amandad715 on the way to the mall if you can nap after the mall, otherwise save it for after

I saved it until the end of our Woodfield excursion. I also bought a cake pop for Jack and a cookie to split with Will. Caffeine and sugar were needed after spending 3 hrs at one of the busiest malls in Chicagoland on a day off from school. 
    Totally seals the deal that I am going to be 100% online shopping for Xmas. I was a sweaty pregnant  mess with little patience today. My boys were gems, however. Hence the sugary treats, aka bribes. 

• Options
    Sorry all... The name of the shop is yvonneboutique :)
  • Options
    @amandad715 my oldest child lives in wood dale (long story)and I find myself up there all.the.time. If you're ever interested in an s12 get together, I'm in!
  • Options
    BPer said:

We built a modern farmhouse.  In the next week or so I should be able to post some good pictures, as most of the trim and moulding and character-type stuff should be finished.
    Yah I was on IG stalking you to see if you have any more house pictures......Busted!
    @tinyhumantoe I haven't posted too many lately because the house is such a crazy mess.  Literally, 3 chop saws in my living room.  I'll post some good ones tonight.  We finally have a real staircase (we were using construction stairs, which was terrifying) and the railings and posts just came in  yesterday.

We did some pretty cool stuff, actually at the suggestion of my FIL strangely enough.  Like, we have a staircase in the main entry way that leads to a landing, where another staircase from the kitchen/dining area meets also, and then from there, a staircase going to the second floor.

Does that make any sense?  It's very hard to explain.  But basically we didn't want to have to walk all the way around to the entryway to get upstairs when most of the living is done in the back of the house, so we put 2 staircases in.  Once they're finished it's going to be a real attention grabber, I think.

• Options
    @bper Oooh I am so excited to see it! 

• Options
    dimples12 said:
    Yep, @Hyaline. We were quoted $2500/yr to replace our 1790 PA stone farmhouse. I laughed when the agent told me. We love the character because it is old and you cannot replace that. @tinyhumantoe we love our old house. It took us 2.5 years to find. It costs us a lot for heat (about $650/month in the winter for 3400 sq feet) and in renovations because nothing is square. We just replaced 18 windows and added stone headers. It's gorgeous but cost us $16k. We knew it would be expensive but the costs really shocked me initially. While I do love it, a modern farmhouse would have suited us as well. We almost bought one 6 months before we found this house. Good luck in the search! It was not my favorite process. :)
    EXACTLY! There should be an insurance waiver for historic houses, because they're irreplaceable.

I think I"ve mentioned, but you live in my dream house.  Well, one of them :)
  • Options
    @amandad715 my oldest child lives in wood dale (long story)and I find myself up there all.the.time. If you're ever interested in an s12 get together, I'm in!

@tyrannosaurusjess
    After the holidays, I'll be on maternity leave-I'd totally be in! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"