1st Trimester
Options

Prenatal Vitamins

Hi!

I have a few questions about a prenatal vitamin. I realized the prenatal viatmin I'm currently taking only has 600 mcg of folate (I'm taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal-an organic prenatal). From what I understand, folate is the pure form you can find in foods and folic acid is a synthetic form of folate. I read about the pros of folate over folic acid and vice versa (I read your body absorbs folic acid better) to the point where I'm confused. Do you have a recommendation of one over the other? 

I found a different prenatal I like with folic acid, Rainbow Light, but I'm nervous about the Vitamin A in this one.  The one drawback is it contains Vitamin A from both beta carotene and from palmitate at 4,000 IU. Should I avoid this one because it contians palmitate? I read this is something you should avoid.  I finally gave up on the organic/pure prenatals and started looking at Nature Made and then discovered this one has Red 40, which can lead to ADHD. 

I never thought this would be so hard.  I'm having trouble finding the best prenatal (they all seem to have positives and negatives). Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing what is best. Thanks for your help!

Re: Prenatal Vitamins

• Options
    I had to get off my prenatals because they were making me so sick. Now I just take 400 mcg of folic acid and 1000 iu of vitamin d. My dr. said when feeling better take something with DHA in it.
  • Options
    I'm taking the rainbow light once a days with Nordic naturals dha love them both ! They don't make me sick and I love that I just have to take it once a day :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like the one a day womens...I took them with my first and now doing them with my second...only thing is i think the prenatal s are whats causing my to poo so much...but I like them none the less
  • Options
    Hey there, I agree that it's best not to over-analyze.  If these prenatals were bad for for baby, I'm sure those brands would no longer be in business. I also prefer a more natural supplement, so I take the Prenatal and DHA from Honest Co.  They're easy on my stomach and amazing! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"