Baby Names
Options

Amie Veronica?

CaraluvsCaraluvs member
edited October 2014 in Baby Names
What are your thoughts on this name?

I like how the sweetness of Amie is balanced by the strength of Veronica. We are also considering Veronica as a first name.

As far as spelling goes, I'm leaning towards the ie vs. y because I worry that Amy seems more of a mom name. Also, I have an Evan and a Liam, so the four letter thing would be fun in our family. I'm feeling like it's an Ann vs. Anne kind of issue, but if you strongly feel it's a youneek issue, feel free to comment about it. However, the feedback I'm most interested in is how you feel towards the name itself.

Thanks!
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Amie Veronica?

• Options
    Engineer81Engineer81 member
    edited October 2014
    I like the name. I'm an Amy and prefer the Amy spelling. But it's a nice name. It's funny you think Amy is a mom name, because I think it sounds perpetually young! It was the second most popular name of the 70s and now almost 40 years later it's still good.
  • Options
    Would you consider Aimee instead? It's the legit French spelling (although I will say that Amie is listed on BTN as a legitimate, not user created, variant of Amy). I like the way it looks with the extra 'e' (I also realize that is changes pronunciation, but I like it).

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Veronica more and I prefer the spelling Amy. I really like Amy Victoria, which is close to Veronica and also a strong name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    Amy. Amie --> just no.

If it is a "mom" name to you... She'll be a mom longer than a kid.
  • Options
    I like Aimee, but I can't get behind Amie. All I see (and want to say) is the French word "amie," which is the feminine form of "friend."
  • Options
    I love Amy. Spelled that way. Aimee is fine, but the French pronunciation is different.

Amie just looks like you misspelled Aimee.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    Amy or Aimee

• Options
    dolanjj said:

I like Aimee, but I can't get behind Amie. All I see (and want to say) is the French word "amie," which is the feminine form of "friend."

All of this. I actually thought you were intending it to be pronounced like the French word until I read your post. Choose Amy, Aimee, or a different name altogether.

I do like Amy/Aimee Veronica.

• Options
    I like it but I agree with the pp's who suggested Aimee. I just think it looks classier than Amie IMO
    autism photo: AUTISM autismglitter.gifBabyFruit Tickerphoto d61f26e5-4fb2-4a0b-b301-b0af2b53d4d3.jpg
  • Options
    I like the name Amy- but spelled that way (not Amie).

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Agreed with previous posters: I'd actually hesitate on how to pronounce Amie if I saw it. I think AHH-me before AYY-me.

I like Aimee to keep with the pattern you liked while still looking like the name you intend!
  • Options
    I like Amy, no ie but I also like Veronica. She'll be an adult longer than she will be a child and she'll appreciate having the 'grown up' spelling of her name all of her adult life.  

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    Amy Veronica is very nice. I would put Veronica in the FN spot, myself, because I know so many Amys. I really love Veronica.

Not fan of the Amie spelling. I'm having flashbacks to my school days trying to keep straight all the spellings of girls named Amy/Aimee/Aime/Jamie/Jaime/Jaimee. It was a serious headache.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    CaraluvsCaraluvs member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. I've seen Amy/Amie both ways, but good to know people see it as mispelled. I never really thought of it as a mom name personally, but in one of the baby name books I read recently, it was in that category! Along with Tiffany and such. Since I've always thought it was a pretty name, I was bummed to see this book list it as a mom name. My hesitation on the Aimee spelling is I'm thinking it's pronounced differently in French? I'm not a French speaker, so not certain.

Anyway, in other news, did you hear Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes named their baby Esmeralda Amada? Gorgeous! So now I'm thinking Amada would be a contender.... :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree with the majority of PPs - Amy Veronica is lovely, and don't change the spelling!
  • Options
    My best friends name is Ami, and it always stood out from the other Amy's without looking weird.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about the French pronunciation of Aimee. Coming from someone naming her son Arthur. Half my family is German and when I say what his name will be they get REALLY confused until I say it ar-TOOR instead of AR-thur. It happens.
  • Options
    Amy is great. It has been around since before Little Women days so even though it was hugely popular in the 70s/80s, it has a history and it is still in the top 200. I wouldn't go with Amie. Aimee maybe. People will 95% of the time just assume it's Amy without checking the spelling. I know an Ami and a few Aimees and they all get annoyed at how people always assume it's spelled Amy.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited October 2014
    I would pronounce Amie "ah-mee" rather than "ay-mee", so I would stick with either Amy or Aimee.

Eta: every person named Amy that I know is super sweet, so I love the name :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"