November 2014 Moms
Options

Flu shot

I just got the flu shot yesterday because my OBGYN has been urging me to. I'm 34 weeks pregnant. I am freaking out because I'm reading all this stuff about autism. I don't know if I got preservative free shot.

Re: Flu shot

• Options
    My OB didn't have the shots in the office and neither did my primary. I'm just worried, first time mom and I don't wanna mess up :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry.. What?
  • Options
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Well thank you to everyone who wasn't sarcastic with me. We all have worries and I'm sorry if I don't know everything most of you do. I was asking on here to have support. Not to be made fun of.
  • Options
    obs would not be recommending certain vaccinations/immunizations if there was a proven link to autism!

• Options
    Well I called the docs and they said it wasn't preservative free. Then I called the nurses hotline and they said it didn't matter if it was or not. I'm supposed to feel reassured but for some reason I'm still not . Oh well
  • Options
    Look, yeah I posted it somewhere else because I wanted as many opinions as possible. Is that so wrong? My bad if that bothers you. But I don't care. I'm a first time mom and I'm probably going to worry about a shit ton of things that don't matter. I know that. So keep your bitchy opinions to yourself.
  • Options
    I didn't think I was acting like a moron. Whatever sorry ladies
  • Options
    I was just trying to get help. I don't know how this stuff works and yeah you are all bitches and so am I . I wasn't trying to play a poor me card. I just don't understand why I was being called a troll and what not . I thought these forums were for helping other mothers out. Not battering them and making them feel stupid. I stopped freaking out this morning. I just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing what I was.
  • Options
    Yes, please give me her number seeing as I don't have one of my own. ;)
  • Options
    I was on the fence about getting the flu shot and decided not to get it while pregnant based on having a conversation with my doctor. Initially the PA that I saw was really pushing that I get the flu shot and told me I could think about it but that every other doctor was going to say the same thing. Then at my next appointment I talked to a physician about it and how I was hesitant to get the shot while still being pregnant. He understood my concern and stated that the immunizations for the flu doesn't really pass onto the baby like the TDAP does (which I did choose to get). He recommended that I could do what I was comfortable with and that they could provide me with the flu shot at the hospital before I went home. 

While I know there is no proven link yet to Autism and vaccinations, there is also no known cause for Autism. I currently work at a preschool for children with disabilities and work with a lot of children with Autism. I can understand the fears people have for their child developing Autism and there are a lot of stories of children demonstrating regression after having a particular vaccination. Most of the reports are parent reports with no proven connection and it may just be coincidence. But I guess my point is that while getting the flu shot during pregnancy is most likely not the cause of a child developing Autism, I can understand people having that fear.
  • Options
    I was only saying that I can understand the concern. I am not uninformed, I have actually read a good amount of research on these topics because as I stated I work very closely with many children with autism. I am very well educated and have taken quite a few college courses in research/statistics and in the medical field. I am not a doctor and I don't pretend to be. I have very informed conversations with my physicians. I just feel that after working with so many families of children with Autism I can understand the questioning and fear that occurs because the cause of Autism is so unknown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"