Cloth Diapering
Options

Planning prefolds & covers ... have questions and need advice.

Hi,

I need some help. I'm going to be a first time mom, my DH has 2 kiddos from previous marriage. He is open to doing cloth for our baby. I have experience with cloth (nanny 12+ years, my sister has CD her 3 kiddos).... So I know a little about what I liked and what I didn't.

My sister did exclusively G diapers and disposable as needed, and is trying to push them on me LOL. I don't like G diapers - I don't like the tabs in the back, I feel like they didn't fit her kids well (leave marks, leak, etc), and she may have washed them wrong but I felt like they had a lingering smell.

I think I've gotten my selection down to prefolds and covers. 

But I have some questions....

I have bad allergies to plastics, latex, and petroleum products. (I'm a fun patient at the OB ... they had to order special gloves for me!). I've had these sensitivities since birth, and DH has sensitive skin. One of the main reasons I want to CD is because of this. Disposables make my hands itch, and I am worried my baby will have similar skin sensitivities.

I was thinking about the wool covers or rumparooz.

For newborn I am considering Imagine AIO Newborn.

I was thinking about wool covers but am a little scared of wool.... Is it really leakproof? Can I use it on outings? Will it leak in the car seat because of compression? I'd love to only have to buy 3-4 covers.... 

If I go with a PUL cover like rumparooz .... Are there any babies out there that are allergic to these covers? Or the fabric-plastic-like material used on leg gussets?

My sister said I have to be careful about yeast and that any cover but G diapers are just way too hard to wash yeast out of (which I find hard to beleive LOL)..... So what happens with wool if there is yeast?? And other PUL covers?

And regarding prefolds.... Now I'm reading that a lot of people like flats over prefolds.... should I just buy a set of prefolds and a set of flats? I was going to have a few fitteds around for when others are changing baby.... 

Thank you so much for your time and thoughts....

image image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Planning prefolds & covers ... have questions and need advice.

• Options
    Thank you, so much! That is what I am concerned about... 

I know my sister is just trying to push her diapers on me LOL it's ok....

Might need to really read up on wool.

Would an AIO diaper be better? Most of those it looks like all the PUL and elastic is encased in fabric..... ?
  • Options
    People like flats because they are can be fold many different ways and it's easy to double them up.  Plus you only need to buy one size, where prefolds you may need to buy several.

I liked prefolds for the newborn stage.  It was easier for me to deal with.  I didn't have to fold them out of the dryer.  I just stacked them up right out of the dryer.

I have no experience with wool, so I can't help you there.

As for yeast, it's a pain regardless of what you use.  I haven't had any issues with it, and not everyone does.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wool really can be great for heavy wetters, but they might not be super handy for newborns. Unless you are extremely lucky, some of that lovely soupy NB poo is going to sneak out of the prefold, flat, or fitted and get on the cover. This is no big deal with regular covers but a big PITA with wool since it has to be washed by hand. If you and/or your baby are sensitive to the rubbery side of PUL, you could try using a cover that is lined like Grovia or Applecheeks. The drawback to being lined and not wipeable is that they're pretty much just good for one use before you want to wash them, but they're much easier to wash than wool.

• Options
    I'm not sure what your sis was talking about with washing yeast out of covers. I think the worry would be washing yeast out of the actual diaper that has layers of fabric.  Aren't G-diaper covers made of PUL too?

I don't use wool so I can't comment on that - although I hear most people use it for overnight, not as the only/all day option.

But I know some people are allergic to parts of the covers. @chickypoo2468 - Isn't J sensitive to the elastic? Covers are relatively cheap and easy to resell - so you could try and see.

GMD workhorses are great fitteds to try in the beginning, along with prefolds and flats.
    I think someone else had an issue with non-natural fiber materials with their child a few years ago.  I'm pretty sure they were successfully using wool full time.

But I would recommend fitteds if you want to use wool to try to keep as much poop off the covers as possible.

Most pockets and All-in-ones will have the elastic encased,  but if you're little one has very sensitive skin the PUL could cause an issue.
  • Options
    Thank you!

Will look at some pockets and covered PUL covers...
  • Options
    I would encourage you to just get a few things and try them out. Prefolds and flats are a great option for the newborn stage and beyond. If you get flats now, you can still use them after the NB stage. I don't have experience with wool yet, but I think it may be tricky to use it exclusively for a NB. In general, its usually recommended to have 6-8 covers for EOD washing. 

If I were you, for the NB stage I think I might get a selection of some pockets or AIO's, and some flats/prefolds with some PUL covers and maybe 1-2 inexpensive wool covers and see how your baby does with each thing. You can easily sell off what you don't like and get more of what you do.

Kawaii P&N is an inexpensive pocket that fits very early on. Newborn blueberry simplex is awesome, although a little pricey. But those fit my kid for longer than any other NB diapers, until about 12 weeks (he's 50th percentile for everything, so pretty average). I also loved GMD workhorse fitteds for the NB stage.

I have no idea what your sister is talking about with yeast. If it happens, it happens. You deal with it. It can happen with sposies or cloth. You just need to wash your cloth with a little bleach if you get it.....
  • Options
    SoftBums is another one that has lined shells/covers that work with flats, prefolds, and the snap in pods. If you can reuse a covered PUL shell/cover really depends on how wet the lining gets. With frequent changes and adequate absorbency the lining doesn't get wet that often ime so going a couple changes before washing is possible.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    Seems like most of your questions have been answered thus far.  I just have a comment about the prefolds/flats.  I use both and like both.  However, if I had to choose one I would pick prefolds in a heartbeat.  The only pain is sizing up every so often.
  • Options
    I only have one thing to add to all of the fantastic info already posted:

You can try out flats by using receiving blankets or flour sack towels for cheap. That way, you haven't invested much if you prefer prefolds.

I use both. I prefer flats, but my husband prefers prefolds.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    I love wool- but I only use it overnight. I think I'd hate it for daytime. After washing it takes forever to dry (days). Unless you were unusually lucky about poop not escaping onto the cover you could need a bunch of covers (and it's not cheap).
    There's no harm in trying the PUL first- you could start with 1-2 wool and switch later if you have trouble.
    Also- my experience is that tiny newborns aren't as sensitive- one of our babies is more sensitive/rashy- but it didn't start until 2-3 months- so we were able to skip wool as a newborn, but use it for overnight now.
  • Options
    The allergy to the elastic would most likely be from the rubber that keeps the elastic stretchy. Wool and fleece covers shouldn't have any elastic in them. If you change regularly (even when out and about) with the wool or fleece, you shouldn't have urine leak issues, but like pp a pita to get the early poop out of the wool. The fleece can at least be thrown in the wash, but it doesn't work as well as the wool imo. 

I haven't heard of anyone allergic to the pul itself. You can always go to a fabric store and try out the pul to see if you are sensitive to it. If you are concerned about the rubber in the elastic, get covers that are turned and top stitched instead of using the fold over elastic around the edges. Pockets and aio may work for you as you shouldn't have to touch the pul if it is an issue. 
  • Options
    Just jumping in to say that I love prefolds! No experience with wool covers yet though so I can't help with any of your other questions.

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"