January 2015 Moms
Options

2nd FB group discussion

13»

Re: 2nd FB group discussion

• Options
    The "popularity contest" concern isn't the point, it's those who have been around long enough to feel comfortable sharing our personal details. There's a good handful of people here I don't recognize at all who are saying they'd want to join and would feel like the last kid picked for dodgeball if we don't let them in. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't (currently) know those people well enough to feel comfortable making the transition to Facebook. I say we wait until babies are born - maybe we start with a private group on here to share photos and such for those who don't want to post on the general board. We don't have to be super picky about that board because it's still Bump names and anonymity. If a group wants to make the jump to Facebook, hopefully it will be more clear at that point who "makes the cut". For those who worry about whether you are recognized, here's some tips from someone who has been on TK and then TB for about 5 years now... 1) Have a recognizable user name that people can remember. Initials with numbers makes it harder to remember you. I had to change from my very recognizable name and kind of accidentally ended up with this while playing around to find a name - I think it's too long, but it's distinct. 2) Have and keep a distinct avatar. Even more so than the name, this is your logo. When you "love" someone's post, this is your signature. Not an ultrasound picture like a gazillion people have, not a far away picture of you, a distinct small icon that someone will recognize immediately.
    I don't know what a "group" is or how to do it, but I like this idea! Are they really private? Protected with password, or what? I was just thinking... it is going to be a learning curve for me relating real names with bump names, lol. We will have to preface a fb post with our bump names for a bit... please :)
    Social group- they are private to those in it :)  You choose a moderator (or two, or three- whatever) and those people have to approve the members.  Only members can read the posts.  I'm in one of them and it's pretty active. It's the same set up as this board and every board on TB- just private :)
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    I like the social group idea too- It does give a little more sense of privacy for posting photos and not being google searchable 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Britt1406 said:
    I like the social group idea too- It does give a little more sense of privacy for posting photos and not being google searchable 
    Yup, it's a good mix between the two. 
    FB is still easier to post pics and what not.  But it's not a huge deal. 
    Can always set up a social group and then talk about the FB group within there at some point, also.
    I don't really care.. I'm up for anything and what the majority wants :)
  • Options
    The "popularity contest" concern isn't the point, it's those who have been around long enough to feel comfortable sharing our personal details. There's a good handful of people here I don't recognize at all who are saying they'd want to join and would feel like the last kid picked for dodgeball if we don't let them in. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't (currently) know those people well enough to feel comfortable making the transition to Facebook. I say we wait until babies are born - maybe we start with a private group on here to share photos and such for those who don't want to post on the general board. We don't have to be super picky about that board because it's still Bump names and anonymity. If a group wants to make the jump to Facebook, hopefully it will be more clear at that point who "makes the cut". For those who worry about whether you are recognized, here's some tips from someone who has been on TK and then TB for about 5 years now... 1) Have a recognizable user name that people can remember. Initials with numbers makes it harder to remember you. I had to change from my very recognizable name and kind of accidentally ended up with this while playing around to find a name - I think it's too long, but it's distinct. 2) Have and keep a distinct avatar. Even more so than the name, this is your logo. When you "love" someone's post, this is your signature. Not an ultrasound picture like a gazillion people have, not a far away picture of you, a distinct small icon that someone will recognize immediately.
    I don't know what a "group" is or how to do it, but I like this idea! Are they really private? Protected with password, or what? I was just thinking... it is going to be a learning curve for me relating real names with bump names, lol. We will have to preface a fb post with our bump names for a bit... please :)
    Social group- they are private to those in it :)  You choose a moderator (or two, or three- whatever) and those people have to approve the members.  Only members can read the posts.  I'm in one of them and it's pretty active. It's the same set up as this board and every board on TB- just private :)
    I like it. I think it may be beneficial to start there. I've never heard of social groups.
  • Options
    I've never heard of social groups either but that sounds good to me - especially because I'd be reluctant to share photos on TB unless it was private. 

Question about my avatar - is it "memorable"? I hope so - I already changed my screen name once so now I hope people remember me?
  • Options
    Love this idea!
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    Here's a random private one I grabbed just so you can see how it looks when you're not a member..

Can't see a thing :)

:)
  • Options
    I love the private social group idea!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Didn't check to see- are social groups accessible through the mobile app still? 

• Options
    Britt1406 said:
    Didn't check to see- are social groups accessible through the mobile app still? 
    I access the one I'm in via my phone.  I have it bookmarked like I do J15 :)
  • Options
    Oo I wanna sit at the cool kids table haha.  I'd like to be a part, if I'm "reg" enough lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't willing to join the initial group. I'd be much more likely to join the smaller group made up of people I recognize.
  • Options
    Woah.  I've been on TB or TK since 2009 and didn't know about private groups.

Those sound cool and like a good mix of the best privacy settings you can get on the internet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think social groups on here are a joke. I'm in one and never receive any notifications and most of the time the ability to post new threads is down. I think FB is the way to go.
  • Options
    I think social groups on here are a joke. I'm in one and never receive any notifications and most of the time the ability to post new threads is down. I think FB is the way to go.
    I've never had an issue posting.
    Two things to point out though- tagging doesn't work, so correct.. no notifications.  And no polls.
    I definitely like FB over social groups. I was just throwing things out to talk about.
  • Options
    I think I still prefer FB over all, but I would join a social group now too. 

• Options
    If I don't join the social group am I still eligible to be considered for the FB group at a later date? ;)
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    If I don't join the social group am I still eligible to be considered for the FB group at a later date? ;)
    Not if you diss hockey, DD and beer!!!!! ;)
  • Options
    Oh Man, all this talk about the regs and newbs and rando's...is my avatar recognizable? It is somehow linked to my fb so whenever I change my profile pic on fb it changes the avatar, should I change that so I am more recognizable! I wanna be apart of whatever small group there is because I love all you ladies and look forward to hearing everyone's stories, vents, and advice on a daily basis. Its honestly part of my sanity at home and DEF. at work :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm up for a social group, for sure!

ETA: Or whatever is decided.
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    Alright, I'm gonna change my pic to Jesse Pinkman...anyone object?
    I recognize you more by your siggy pic than your avatar! But I love me some Jesse Pinkman so no, I do not object.
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    I recognize you more by your siggy pic than your avatar! But I love me some Jesse Pinkman so no, I do not object.
    I was going to update my daughter's pic but now that you've said that I think I will leave it the same. 
  • Options
    I'll be changing my avatar eventually. Tuff titties. ;)

I'll probably update my siggy too.

• Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    YaMrWhite said:
    I was going to update my daughter's pic but now that you've said that I think I will leave it the same. 
    Your daughter is the cutest!! I love your current picture of her - her smile makes me smile. I want to see another one though! :)
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    YaMrWhite said:
    Your daughter is the cutest!! I love your current picture of her - her smile makes me smile. I want to see another one though! :)
    We just got family pics taken this past weekend. I plan on updating once we get them back :)
  • Options
    ACH831 said:
    I like to think of myself as a "reg" but I have been fretting about my shitty choice of username pretty much since day 1.  I think (I hope??) my avatar is recognizable though.

FWIW, right before I joined our BMB facebook group, I actually changed my name on facebook (it previously was first, middle, last...for more privacy, I just made it my first and middle name).  I know not everyone would want to do that just to join a group, but it was what made me feel comfortable when I first went in there amongst a big group of "strangers."

I do like our current FB group and try to check in once a day, but it's so busy that I think I miss a lot, so I mostly just "like" things in there and don't post super-often.  If a second post-baby group opens up, I'll join, especially for the picture-sharing/privacy advantages, but I mostly plan to keep being active on TB.  I hope a lot of you will too!
    FWIW - I recognize you
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Aww I have an U/S pic, but that was because I was so happy to see her, and I would think people would enjoy that over my face. lol...

I've been wanting to change it for some time now, but am worried no one would recognize me.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"