December 2014 Moms
Options

GD check in?

13»

Re: GD check in?

• Options
    @calibeargirl‌ Welcome! Sorry you're joining us, but we're a good group and recipes are awesome!

My MFM specifies 60-95 for fasting and 120 or less two hours after meals.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    Hi all!  I've been a lurker since my BFP in April.  I haven't posted on this board at all but I def keep up on a daily basis.  I posted once over on the Baby Names board a few months ago.

I'm due Dec. 18 and its a girl!

I was diagnosed with GD 2.5 weeks ago.  I have been reading your threads for the past few weeks.  I don't really have anyone else to talk to about this who can relate.

The hospital I'm delivering at as  GD program at their Diabetes Center.  I went there for a few hours on Oct. 7 to learn and get my pump and all that good stuff.  I'm testing 4 times a day and my numbers need to be below 100 for fasting and below 120 2 hours after meals.

So far the hardest parts for me are not indulging in pumpkin everything and eating the night time snack.  I just can't seem to get it in before I fall asleep most nights.

My numbers have pretty much been on track except for 1 night I went out to dinner with my parents and ate the ENTIRE thing of rigatoni vodka sauce.  My 2 hour reading was 130 but it really messed with the fasting number which ended up being 150 the next morning.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Welcome to our board, @Iryshcreem.  Yes, pumpkin everything has been on my mind, especially pumpkin chocolate chip muffins/cookies.  YUM

Question-how many of you ladies were also diagnosed with anemia?  I was diagnosed with it (numbers aren't really low, but they are low) and have been taking iron but my energy has left the building.  I talked to my OB yesterday but she says it's normal for 3rd trimester.  I am not used to feeling as if walking to the bathroom is the equivalent of a 5k.

• Options
    I was told I had low iron after my 28 week blood work.  I take 2 Ferro Sequels a day.  My energy levels are generally okay until like 8 or 9pm when I'm ready to crash.

Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins sound heavenly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My pumpkin treat has been the Pumpkin Spice Hershey kisses. 4 = 10g of carbs. Totally worth it. I have had it a couple times immediately after lunch if I eat something like a salad with chicken or chicken tortilla soup or something where the carb count isn't high. 
  • Options
    @Iryshcreem Welcome to the thread! Sorry you have to join us, but glad you've been lurking off and on. :)

I wasn't diagnosed as being anemic, but my iron levels were on the low side at 28 weeks (12, with the cutoff at 10). I've been trying to add lots of iron-containing foods to my diet and cooking a lot of my meals in our cast iron skillet. I find that does help.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited October 2014
    Man... this thread makes me realize just how much my endo hates me lol. Still testing 6 times a day and my 1hr post meal has to be 120 or less.. ugh. Thankfully not much longer and she can kiss my butt lol.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Anna930 said:

So I had a normal prenatal visit last week and my OB talked to me about what I need to do since 1 of my 4 3-hour draws was high. I explained what I was eating before and how I have improved and she seemed pleased with that. She did mention that I might still be prone to a larger baby because of my slight glucose intolerance.

Fortunately/unfortunately for me, I'm not checking levels at all and haven't had to go strictly onto the GD diet but I feel as though some days I'm still misbehaving and eating tons of carbs.  It's hard to hold myself accountable when I don't have to test so I never know what is good or bad for my glucose.  I am promising myself to be more careful moving forward (now that shower is over, etc) as I would really like to preserve my pancreas and limit my risk of diabetes post-baby.

I do really well throughout the day at work, but have been snacking on doritos when I get home, had pizza a few times for dinner and have been having apple crisp each night. Ugh, time to turn this around for the next few weeks!

I'm having the same issues lately. I've been wanting sweets so bad! My doctor had the "you're not following your diet plan well enough" talk with me today because I gained a few pounds in 2 weeks. Wish this wasn't an issue! But you gotta do what you gotta do!
  • Options

I'm surprised by these doctors who decrease the monitoring so drastically after a short period of monitoring. Mine keep warning me that things can change as I get further along and the placenta ups its hormone-production game.

Maybe I'm just jealous!

I'm pretty surprised myself but He gets paid the big bucks to know things that I have no idea about so I guess I should listen to him. Ha. I honestly have no idea why he decided to so fast the only idea I can guess is most of my numbers are between 75-80 for fasting and one hour after meals have been 96-120 just breakfast has been between 148-158. I know I will probably do it 4 times some days especially if my number is high in the morning but I can definitely tell when my levels aren't right already and how I feel when I have eaten something too much. Everything is still so new to me too with this and especially being a FTM. On a another note with everyone talking about pumpkin everything, Ugh I just want pumpkin cheesecake ice cream!

• Options
    Welcome @Iryshcreem & calibeargirl!

I found a pretty decent recipe for chicken alfredo w/ spaghetti sauce instead of Pasta:  https://ifoodreal.com/greek-yogurt-chicken-alfredo-spaghetti-squash-boats/ - I LOVE alfredo sauce, and will likely use the trick of using greek yogurt & chicken broth in the future.  And I ate the entire 1/2 of the spaghetti squash and my after dinner number was still OK! I also took advantage of running out of test strips today to have a KitKat after lunch.  Baby appears to love Kit Kats and as been bouncing around ever since!  Definitely makes me want to sneak more candy here and there... 

Also heard from MFM today, and will be starting bi-weekly NSTs the first week of November - every Tuesday & Friday.  I was expecting it, but i'm a little aggravated they couldn't have given me a straight answer when I asked about this last week and I may have had some more flexibility with the appointment times.  C'est la vie.  
  • Options
    @amedbery Don't feel bad!  I had a glass Saturday night (and it hasn't been my first this pregnancy) - woke up Sunday with my lowest fasting number in weeks...coincidence?  Too bad I can't bring myself to continue the experiment to find out!
  • Options
    My numbers have been good except for once. Dr. said I was spilling ketones and continued to lose weight so I needed to add in a good carb. (Doctor doesn't have me on GD diet.) Feeling good. Except that I just went back to my winter job which has a lot more walking around than summer. I have to go sit down because I feel like I am going to waddle my hips out of socket!
  • Options
    Excited to try these tonight. Not sure of the grams of carbs! But should be OK to have a couple since they are minis! I'll let you know after I eat them!

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/skinny-healthy-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-muffins/
  • Options
    My  numbers have to be below 95 for fasting.  Below 140 - 1 hr post meal and below 120 2 hrs post meal.

I too miss pumpkin.  I wonder if the pumpkin oat chocolate chip cookies I used to make would be acceptable if I went light on the chips??
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited October 2014
    So, based on the conversation in this thread about the differences in numbers and different doctors doing different meds, I asked the GD nurse yesterday about it. She said that for the glyburide vs insulin issue, my MFM office has found that if a mom's fasting sugars are near or over 120, glyburide doesn't get the numbers down enough, even at the max dosage. So, if a mom is consistently in the 110's-120's for fasting, they'll usually go right to insulin. Someone like me, who would have some numbers ok and some in the 100's (usually not more than 105), is a good candidate for glyburide, because there's some wiggle room for upping the dosage if needed later on in the pregnancy. She didn't really mention post-prandial numbers, but I assume the same logic would apply.

Also, she said about the fasting cutoff of 90 vs 95 vs 100: it just depends on the particular practice. My MFM office does 95, but 90 and 100 are also acceptable with some. It just depends on your luck of the draw, I think, on what your office/doctor chooses for the acceptable threshold.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• Options
    @calibeargirl-how were your numbers after the pumpkin treat?
  • Options
    Questions for GD ladies-do you find you are really exhausted? I have been having on and off exhaustion thispregnancy and while my OB and friends tell me it's normal, I'm wondering if it's related the GD. Thoughts?
  • Options
    amedberyamedbery member
    edited October 2014
    paigep8 said:

Questions for GD ladies-do you find you are really exhausted? I have been having on and off exhaustion thispregnancy and while my OB and friends tell me it's normal, I'm wondering if it's related the GD. Thoughts?

I think it's normal. I actually feel a good bit better now that I'm on the GD diet (I assume because now that my BG is more level instead of spiking and free-falling). But I still get exhausted at times. Third trimester is hitting you, probably.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    paigep8 said:

I finally got around to eating them this morning. Fasting blood sugar was 87.. For breakfast I had 2 muffins, cup of multi grain cheerios with milk and a glass of OJ. I did a short workout after breakfast and my reading one hour after was 110. The muffins are a strange texture for me but quite delicious!

Also I didn't have a mini muffin tin so the muffins are full size tin, but I filled them 3/4 way and it made 12 instead of 9 :)
  • Options
    I've been GD for all three pregnancies, so I have no clue if the tiredness is GD or normal third tri stuff. I do know that I can feel the sugar crash/coma when I've overdone it with the carbs, so I can tell the difference between that and regular butt-draggin' tired.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• Options

I finally got around to eating them this morning. Fasting blood sugar was 87.. For breakfast I had 2 muffins, cup of multi grain cheerios with milk and a glass of OJ. I did a short workout after breakfast and my reading one hour after was 110. The muffins are a strange texture for me but quite delicious! Also I didn't have a mini muffin tin so the muffins are full size tin, but I filled them 3/4 way and it made 12 instead of 9 :)
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. I made them last night, and even cut down the sugar just 1 tbsp. I figured the chocolate would make up for the sweetness. Just tried one and it is delicious! Definitely takes the edge off my pumpkin craving. I only got 8 out of the pan, but just snuck one in an hour after breakfast. Yummy! 
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

ivf #1 (MFI): 18 retrieved, 16 fertilized 
         bfp: 8dp3dt, beta #1 10dp3dt: 103, beta #2 14dp3dt 637, EDD: 12.06.14! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I finally got around to eating them this morning. Fasting blood sugar was 87.. For breakfast I had 2 muffins, cup of multi grain cheerios with milk and a glass of OJ. I did a short workout after breakfast and my reading one hour after was 110. The muffins are a strange texture for me but quite delicious! Also I didn't have a mini muffin tin so the muffins are full size tin, but I filled them 3/4 way and it made 12 instead of 9 :)
    @calibeargirl you can have ALL that for breakfast?? That's crazy. How many carbs is that? The OJ alone would have me close to what I'm allowed (i.e. +-35g).
  • Options

paigep8 said:

I finally got around to eating them this morning. Fasting blood sugar was 87.. For breakfast I had 2 muffins, cup of multi grain cheerios with milk and a glass of OJ. I did a short workout after breakfast and my reading one hour after was 110. The muffins are a strange texture for me but quite delicious!

Also I didn't have a mini muffin tin so the muffins are full size tin, but I filled them 3/4 way and it made 12 instead of 9 :)

@calibeargirl you can have ALL that for breakfast?? That's crazy. How many carbs is that? The OJ alone would have me close to what I'm allowed (i.e. +-35g).

I have no idea :/ I refused the 3 hour glucose so they just told me my only option was to track 4 times a day. My numbers are always really low. So I'm pretty sure I do not have GD, But ob wants me to continue on. I did explain to her I haven't changed my diet, just watched the sweets and she said if my numbers are good then she's OK with me eating normally!
  • Options
    Did we want to start a new thread for this week?  Or just keep running with this one?

They just called me to make a med change - they want me to move my dose of glyburide from bedtime to with dinner (a few of my dinner #'s were high last week).  While that part makes sense, won't the medication then wear off before it has a chance to do much for my AM fasting numbers (which haven't been below target either)?  They aren't increasing the dose, just moving the time I take it...

I questioned the nurse, but she just said lets see what your numbers say and if the doc needs to make more changes they'll let me know next week.  
  • Options
    I'll make a new thread. :) With questions and everything! 
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• Options
    lionyloo32lionyloo32 member
    edited October 2014
    I have no idea :/ I refused the 3 hour glucose so they just told me my only option was to track 4 times a day. My numbers are always really low. So I'm pretty sure I do not have GD, But ob wants me to continue on. I did explain to her I haven't changed my diet, just watched the sweets and she said if my numbers are good then she's OK with me eating normally!
    Oooh okay. That makes more sense, because that is a LOT of carbs. Ha. Plus juice is definitely not an option for me either @bluebird00

BdblZ said:
    Did we want to start a new thread for this week?  Or just keep running with this one?

They just called me to make a med change - they want me to move my dose of glyburide from bedtime to with dinner (a few of my dinner #'s were high last week).  While that part makes sense, won't the medication then wear off before it has a chance to do much for my AM fasting numbers (which haven't been below target either)?  They aren't increasing the dose, just moving the time I take it...

I questioned the nurse, but she just said lets see what your numbers say and if the doc needs to make more changes they'll let me know next week.  
    I'm good with continuing this thread. :)@BdblZ my nutritionist actually told me the exact same thing. I started the meds this (ETA: LAST WEEK) week, and she said if we continue to see a rise in my post dinner number, we would move the meds to WITH dinner. It should keep your number down long enough to keep the morning number down too, hopefully. If not, I think she said we would increase the dose just slightly. My dinner numbers have creeped up a couple of times. Plus, take a look at your after breakfast and lunch numbers after starting the meds vs before. Mine was always pretty low, and are now much, much lower. Sometimes in the 80's. So I think the pill works for quite a while. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"