October 2013 Moms
Options

Ebola- your questions answered

Hit me with 'em. I'll try to answer some tonight and tomorrow morning while I have time. Lets keep it casual. My credentials: boarded in internal medicine, Hospitalist, and I just sat through some lectures from infectious disease experts at a conference on the east coast.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ebola- your questions answered

• Options
    I'm scared...should I be?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why 1.5 years? How have they made that determination?
  • Options
    Can water be contaminated ? Like through bowel movements, urine, vomit etc. If the infected used the bathroom can the virus live though the water filtration system ???
    Maybe a crazy thought!?
  • Options
    I've heard there is no cure. Does everyone that gets it die? If not, how many actually recover?

Thanks for answering these questions!
  • Options
    Lets talk about Dallas.

• Options
    dovetail223dovetail223 member
    edited October 2014
    The media is saying the CDC cleared that nurse to get on a plane...why would they have done that before the 21 day infectious period?

(Sorry if any above terms are incorrect)
  • Options
    I flew twice... last week and this week and I couldn't help, but be a nervous wreck, specially for my children. We used hand sanitizer A LOT!
  • Options
    @Phalaenopsis‌ but can the virus survive in water?????
    If the urine or vomit is in the water system could it survive and be in the drinking water!!!???
    Thanks for answering these questions. I'm still freaked out to let my mother get on a plane home on Saturday!
  • Options
    Slap8out said:
    @Phalaenopsis‌ but can the virus survive in water????? If the urine or vomit is in the water system could it survive and be in the drinking water!!!??? Thanks for answering these questions. I'm still freaked out to let my mother get on a plane home on Saturday!

I don't think so.... It's not the typical form of transmission

• Options

The media is saying the CDC cleared that nurse to get on a plane...why would they have done that before the 21 day infectious period?

(Sorry if any above terms are incorrect)

This was a mistake by the CDC, no doubt. And that doctor who broke quarantine is an embarrassment.

Not trying to answer questions here, but just want to clarify  that it's a 21 day incubation period, not infectious period... so an individual has 21 days to show signs of the illness, and past that, they're essentially in the clear; they are not infectious unless showing signs. 

Thank you for clarifying! I'm honestly only half reading the news reports because they make me anxious #iliketocontroluncontrolablethings
  • Options
    The media is saying the CDC cleared that nurse to get on a plane...why would they have done that before the 21 day infectious period? (Sorry if any above terms are incorrect)

This was a mistake by the CDC, no doubt. And that doctor who broke quarantine is an embarrassment.
    Not trying to answer questions here, but just want to clarify  for @dovetail223 that it's a 21 day incubation period, not infectious period... so an individual has 21 days to show signs of the illness, and past that, they're essentially in the clear; they are not infectious unless showing signs. 

Yup, that's right.

• Options
    Nancy Snyderman broke her quarantine, do you think she should be punished for it?
    (She lives a few towns over for me and it scares the hell out of me! This is giving me serious anxiety!)
  • Options
    K, I've got one:

How do you feel about the quarantine of those who traveled near Amber Vinson? Necessary or just appeasing the public? Or a third opinion?
    imageimage
  • Options
    SweetCFlySweetCFly member
    edited October 2014

SweetCFly said:

ICU nurse checking in here. Our medical center, and our unit in particular, is getting ready to undergo extensive training on care of Ebola patients and donning/doffing proper PPE. I work in a MICU so the disease will be within our patient population spectrum, but we are currently recruiting a special care team to care for these patients- both the low and high risk.

From what I am gathering from my research and our division's director of nursing who is co-leading our hosp's care team, Texas Presbyterian was not following protocol/quite possibly unaware of protocol and severity and importance(?) involved with caring for Duncan. Thus the exposure and spread to the nurses who cared for him. The team is also being co-led by the medical director of one of our newest trauma units who has spent a lot of time NB Sierra Leone caring for Ebola pts (he actually just returned home and completed his 21 day quarantine). It's pretty fascinating now that we are learning more about this. The management of care given will be so different than care we typically give. I actually, given proper education on care and proper PPE, would not be as afraid to care for someone as a nurse as I would be afraid of being exposed to it by someone in public who didn't know they had and were contagious.

That being said, as a mom of a 1 year old I am not volunteering because on the very small chance that PPE were breached during care I don't think I could live with myself if I exposed my son and my family.

In Texas, it is clear they were not prepared. There is no question. But i still mostly fault the cdc. It was a matter of time until Ebola would come to the US, and they flat out didnt have a plan of action in place for when it did. I mean, didnt they watch Contagion?? In cases like this, someone has to step up and lead and educate, and that has to come from a central authority.

We just got a memo about an emerging diseases committee, so our hospital will be looking into it too.

------- eta stuck in quite box-------
    Yeah... CDC flat out has sucked the big one on this and it is quite frightening. Just glad we are going to be prepared. As a large university medical and trauma center in Balt/Wash area it's inevitable we will be seeing low risk and potentially infected pts too (given international travel to/from and residents in this area).

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Herefishy87Herefishy87 member
    edited October 2014

Nancy Snyderman broke her quarantine, do you think she should be punished for it?
    (She lives a few towns over for me and it scares the hell out of me! This is giving me serious anxiety!)

Seriously, she's an embarrassment. Should be fired from her public position. But she wasn't symptomatic, therefore not contagious, and knew she didn't have it at that time. It just sets a bad example/precedent.

Thank you!!! Thanks for doing this for us and making me feel not so paranoid! I had to bring ds1 to the er for stitches today and I was internally freaking out!
    Edit- I agree, she should be fired!
  • Options

K, I've got one:

How do you feel about the quarantine of those who traveled near Amber Vinson? Necessary or just appeasing the public? Or a third opinion?

@Phalaenopsis‌ , not sure if you saw my question...
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"