April 2015 Moms
Options

Breast Feeding or Formula?

Cskgb2012Cskgb2012 member
edited October 2014 in April 2015 Moms
I plan on breast feeding, but I was wondering what you guys thought about it?

Re: Breast Feeding or Formula?

• Options

Cskgb2012 said:

I plan on breast feeding mainly because it makes you feel closer to your baby, but I was wondering what you guys thought about it?

I plan on breastfeeding, as I'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old.

However, I don't think formula feeding moms feel any less close to their babies?
    I'm sure they don't, I'm not saying that they don't. I was raised breast feed and I have seen formula use too. I was just simply stating my opinion for me. I think either way you go you're going to love your child unconditionally no matter what.
  • Options
    Definitely breast feeding! It's free - and healthier. 
    MC 10/14 @ 14 WKS 
    MC 1/12 @ 8 WKS
    DS BORN 9/15/09 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I think some formula moms might take offense at that statement as it sounds like you are saying that they are not as close to their babies. You may want to edit that if you want people's opinions without upsetting anyone.

For me, this is my first kid so I'm hoping to breast feed (mostly bc it's free lol) but I'm going in knowing I won't be angry with myself if it doesn't work out. I'm committed in the sense that I'm reading a lot and trying to get as much info to make it go as smoothly as possible but who knows how things will turn out.
  • Options
    Look I never intended to piss anyone off or offend anyone just wanted to hear other peoples opinions. This is my first child and some other moms on here may know more then I do. I edited my post so please don't be negative I am just asking a simple question.
  • Options
    This topic is going to start something. Let's stick to: I breastfeed unless hell or my boobs freeze over. You can do what you want. Lots of facts out there. Lots of reasons either is a good choice. After some going through some rough stuff with BF, I'm the absolute last person to tell you what to do in this department.
    Me: 27
    DH: 34

Ticker id: Q1i7

Lilypie - (qjIQ)

Building a family since 12/29/12!
  • Options
    I appreciate all of your opinions. I am not trying to start something so I am choosing to ignore the negative comments. Thank you all very much and have a great day!
  • Options
    Definitely plan on breast feeding! As others have said, many circumstances can affect what I have 'planned' but I am hoping it all works out that I can breast-feed :D
  • Options
    Breastfeeding. I did with my first 2.
    It's a personal choice, no judgment for anyone who isn't or can't.
  • Options
    I plan on breastfeeding. I did with DS. DS only received breast milk for 12 months but I did have to pump and breastfeed due to going back to work after 6 weeks. Breastfeeding was very hard in the beginning but we stuck through it. It's free and I'm all about free stuff!
  • Options
    I plan on breast feeding but I'm not sure how long given the demands of my job.
  • Options
    My mom hated breastfeeding. It hurted her, and she couldn't enjoy it. After one month she gave me formula, and I was still close to her. I think this breastfeeding bringing your baby closer is a bit bs. I want to try breastfeeding, but i know that it might not work so I'll be fine with the formula too.

Also, this post is pointless.
  • Options
    FTM here. I plan to breast feed for as long as I can. If if doesn't work out I have no problem bottle feeding.

Me(24) DH(26)/Married since March 2013
    BFP#1 February 18th 2014/EDD October 27th/MMC discovered at 10w/D&C April 7th 
    BFP#2 July 24th 2014/EDD April 4th 2015/Please be our RAINBOW!
  • Options
    I plan on doing what is ever best for me and baby.
  • Options

I want to breast feed but you never know what could happen. I was not breast fed because my mom had to go back to work almost immediately after my birth. Luckily I won't have to, but again it's possible that I won't produce enough milk, baby might not latch correctly, etc. so I'll be happy too if I need to formula feed as well. Whatever is best for the baby (:

I'm absolutely not judging, but not producing enough only affects 15% of women and only 4% of those absolutely can't do anything to help it. The other 11% is due to poor nutrition, poor milk supply management (I.e not nursing/pumping enough) or problems with the child's sucking. These can pretty much be worked with and corrected. Same for the majority of latch problems. My son didn't latch proper ally due to a lip tie. It took a month or so of working with him to get him to latch right. I know some latches can't be fixed, but most can.
    Again, no judging, you do what you feel is best for your baby, I just wanted to let you know incase you didn't, that these aren't normally reasons you wouldn't be able to breast feed if you want to.
  • Options
    I'll BF until they're empty and then give formula. Made it to 6 months last time. You will do what works, no matter if it's your plan or not.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wish for natural birth bs breast feeding but I am underweight so my Dr said today I might not fit for either of them. She said it al depends on how good my health is at late 9th month of pregnancy
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I plan to breastfeed again, my first two never had formula, and DS only even took a bottle a handful of times. After going through the trouble of going into work early for 10.5 months to make up the time I spent tied to my pump with my first, and after not being able to leave my second for more than an hour because he nursed every two, I can totally understand why some moms just go straight to formula. I also had several friends who ended up formula feeding for various reasons, and I never judged them. I just couldn't bring myself to deny my babies or myself the health benefits of breastfeeding without giving it my best shot, and it came perfectly naturally to me so I just continued on.
  • Options
    I formula fed my DD and plan to do the samewith #2 in April. I felt uncomfortable with the entire concept of breastfeeding and my mom, doctor, DH, and in-laws were the only people that didn't try to pressure me into breastfeeding. When I had DD one of my nurses made rude comments about a)me opting to have a c/s at 41 weeks,even though I would have had to have one anyway and b)my decision not to breastfeed. I had never been so uncomfortable in my life. She actually said I was a bad person and I was deliberately hurting my child not breastfeeding...she was later fired for trying to make new mothers do what she wanted.
    I was formula fed and a preemie and I am very healthy and close to my mom.
    My DD and I are extremely close. She was also a very happy and healthy baby and now toddler.
  • Options
    For those ladies who want to BF, I would echo the statement that MOST women should be able to, but you need to be persistent in some cases and educate yourself or find a good resource. Not all hospitals are as supportive as others and in some cases their efforts can sabotage BFing. I BF both my kids for about 7 months. In the hospital after my second the docs were concerned about DD's weight loss (they always lose, it just can't be too much), and pressured me to give formula. I asked for 12-24 more hours (can't remember exactly) to work on the feedings, and repeatedly requested to see the LC on staff (they never offered, I had to ask) who wasn't great, but good enough to help improve the latching. DD showed some improvement and they backed off. Supplementing with formula very early on can affect the milk coming in, which is not a good thing. Anyway...I was glad I had gone through it before and could push back, and get the support of a LC in the hospital.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    miahbellemiahbelle member
    edited October 2014

xuxachi said:

For those ladies who want to BF, I would echo the statement that MOST women should be able to, but you need to be persistent in some cases and educate yourself or find a good resource. Not all hospitals are as supportive as others and in some cases their efforts can sabotage BFing. I BF both my kids for about 7 months. In the hospital after my second the docs were concerned about DD's weight loss (they always lose, it just can't be too much), and pressured me to give formula. I asked for 12-24 more hours (can't remember exactly) to work on the feedings, and repeatedly requested to see the LC on staff (they never offered, I had to ask) who wasn't great, but good enough to help improve the latching. DD showed some improvement and they backed off. Supplementing with formula very early on can affect the milk coming in, which is not a good thing. Anyway...I was glad I had gone through it before and could push back, and get the support of a LC in the hospital.

In my case, waiting 24 hours for my milk to come in contributed to my daughters severe jaundice. She was hospitalized for two days and nights at three days old, received 24/7 phototherapy, had to get IV fluids, and the doctors at the children's hospital insisted that I give her formula to help her body rid itself of the excess bilirubin. If I had FF her from the start, I don't think she would have been so lethargic that she was unresponsive (dipping her foot in ice cold water rendered no response at all from her), requiring a rushed trip to another city's children's hospital.

I think in most cases you're right, I'm just sharing my experience.

Fwiw, you are right about early formula use potentially affecting milk supply. Despite my best efforts after her hospitalization, my milk didn't come in. Probably the stress of the whole experience didn't help.
    You're milk came in just 24 hrs? You know that is fast, right?! It starts to form in about 30-40hrs but you won't notice it coming in (in the majority of cases) for 2-3 days. Sometimes longer. Mine took four and a half days.

Eta: not saying that your baby's problem wasn't under-nourishment, just saying it was awesome yours came in so fast!
  • Options
    AlienZero said:

I wish for natural birth bs breast feeding but I am underweight so my Dr said today I might not fit for either of them. She said it al depends on how good my health is at late 9th month of pregnancy

I suppose if you're super underweight you might not be able to keep up milk production. If you want to BF though, keep taking in enough calories and your body might figure it out.

As for birth, what exactly is your doc's concern? How would pain meds or pitocin make any difference? Yes, you need energy to get through labor, but that's nothing you couldn't get from food, juice, or even an IV. Ask lots of questions.
    Me: 27
    DH: 34

Ticker id: Q1i7

Lilypie - (qjIQ)

Building a family since 12/29/12!
  • Options

miahbelle said:

xuxachi said:

In my case, waiting 24 hours for my milk to come in contributed to my daughters severe jaundice. She was hospitalized for two days and nights at three days old, received 24/7 phototherapy, had to get IV fluids, and the doctors at the children's hospital insisted that I give her formula to help her body rid itself of the excess bilirubin. If I had FF her from the start, I don't think she would have been so lethargic that she was unresponsive (dipping her foot in ice cold water rendered no response at all from her), requiring a rushed trip to another city's children's hospital.

Fwiw, you are right about early formula use potentially affecting milk supply. Despite my best efforts after her hospitalization, my milk didn't come in. Probably the stress of the whole experience didn't help.
    You're milk came in just 24 hrs? You know that is fast, right?! It starts to form in about 30-40hrs but you won't notice it coming in (in the majority of cases) for 2-3 days. Sometimes longer. Mine took four and a half days.

Eta: not saying that your baby's problem wasn't under-nourishment, just saying it was awesome yours came in so fast!
    No that's not what I was saying. The pp that I quoted said she asked for 24 hours more before resorting to formula. I tried to do the same thing, but because my milk hadn't come in and her jaundice progressed so much, she ended up hospitalized. That was at 3 days old. I think if she hadn't been so severely jaundiced that I might have had more success BF.
    Oh, I misunderstood, sorry. My bad!
  • Options
    miahbelle said:

I formula fed my DD and plan to do the samewith #2 in April. I felt uncomfortable with the entire concept of breastfeeding and my mom, doctor, DH, and in-laws were the only people that didn't try to pressure me into breastfeeding. When I had DD one of my nurses made rude comments about a)me opting to have a c/s at 41 weeks,even though I would have had to have one anyway and b)my decision not to breastfeed. I had never been so uncomfortable in my life. She actually said I was a bad person and I was deliberately hurting my child not breastfeeding...she was later fired for trying to make new mothers do what she wanted.
    I was formula fed and a preemie and I am very healthy and close to my mom.
    My DD and I are extremely close. She was also a very happy and healthy baby and now toddler.

I love your honesty in just saying the concept was uncomfortable, just like I love it when a mom says she just didn't want to. I appreciate that so much, because I know a woman who just didn't want to and kept giving me bs reason for why she didn't nurse. It's your decision, why excuse it to me? I don't care one bit if someone nurses or not!
    Thank you so much! Ive been bashed for not b/f but to me if i pumped a bottle and a family member like my granddad or FIL fed my DD I just got a weird feeling about him or anyone holding somethig that came out of my breast...totally weird i know lol. I feel like why make up an excuse when its my kid...i get it if she wasnt mine haha. The only problem I ever had was DD had to have sensitive stomach formula...other than that she's an amazing healthy and according to her Dr above the 98th percentile in every category toddler.

But I really appreciate your comment :)
  • Options

xuxachi said:

So sorry to hear about your experience, sounds very scary. Obviously every situation is unique and we do our very best with the information that we have at the time. I hope she wasn't hospitalized for long.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    @clairhuxtable‌ check out the recent study by Ohio state, if you don't want to breastfeed. The sibling study showed that there was little difference between siblings where one was formula fed and one was breastfed. The Fearless Formula Feeder is an excellent resource and she has followers that combo fed as well. How you are feeling was how I felt with my first pregnancy, I tried my second only because I fell asleep with him and woke up to him nursing.

For those of you worried about supplementing some studies have shown women who supplement early on are able to bf longer. Same with pacifiers. I'd talk to your LC about it before making a decision though.
  • Options
    Cskgb2012 said:

I plan on breast feeding, but I was wondering what you guys thought about it?

That was my "plan" the first time, too. I quickly learned that my son had other things in mind. This time, I feel much less pressure about the whole thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

KateRN08 said:

@BananaBoat05‌ I don't even want to think of what happened if I didn't stop trying to get someone to believe me. The children's hospital said I was absolutely right and were so thankful I brought her. It sucks my coworkers at my own hospital thought I was a crazy FTM, I will never doubt my gut again.

Absolutely. Same here. Thank God for mothers instinct. My MIL was insistent that K was fine because her daughter slept for 24 hours straight as a newborn (really??!)
    What?! That is the dumbest thing ever. My son slept and was showing no interest in nursing after his first nursing for about 7hrs and I was freaking. The midwife said he was probably exhausted from the 74hr labor and since he woke when messed with, he was fine (he also was a health 9lb 8oz). Sure enough, he finally woke up angry about being hungry. But a baby being lethargic and unresponsive is such a huge warning sign!
  • Options
    I BFed for 9 months but it was a really really rough road the whole time. I had a lot of pressure from people telling me I needed to just stick with it. Looking back now on my daughter's slow weight gain and my mental and physical state during that time, I regret not supplementing with formula sooner. We plan to BF again this time but will be a lot more open to doing what we believe is best for our child and family regardless of everyone else's opinions.
    ((A15 Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails - -Tobias Funke))

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I BFed for 9 months but it was a really really rough road the whole time. I had a lot of pressure from people telling me I needed to just stick with it. Looking back now on my daughter's slow weight gain and my mental and physical state during that time, I regret not supplementing with formula sooner. We plan to BF again this time but will be a lot more open to doing what we believe is best for our child and family regardless of everyone else's opinions.

My mom had a lot of trouble getting my sister to put on weight. She eventually found out drinking Boost helped fatten up the milk and subsequently my sister. Not sure if you tried this or not. Just thought I'd suggest it incase you have the same trouble with this baby (I hope not).
  • Options
    I had every intention of nursing my son until he was one and when he was 8 months old he got the stomach flu something fierce and once he got better her refused to nurse. The dr said it could be a reminder of when he was sick. He absolutely refused. I've definitely looked at formula feeding a lot differently since I ended up not having a choice. I learned to go with what you feel is best but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go as planned.
  • Options
    I plan on breastfeeding. I live in Norway and the government recommends all new moms to breastfeed for at least the first 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"