Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

"Stupid and Shut Up" I've given up!

Yes I'm "that mom" and he's "that kid". My 3 year old has CONSISTENTLY been using these words (flow like water out of his vocabulary) for MONTHS.
Pretty sure between my Mother In Law saying "Shut Up" to the dog..Charlie Brown cartoons saying "Stupid" and ME (I know i'm not innocent) saying "Stupid" in my vocabulary (even though I do watch what I say  most of the time) it's out.of.control.

We have ignored, rewarded, punished, taken away toys, ignored etc.  He just started pre-school only 5 hours a week and so far (as far as I know) he hasn't yet said these words in school. But once at home and around family he has no problem using them..and A  LOT. I KNOW it could be worse but I'm mortified because it just looks really really bad! 

Any other suggestions??!?!?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "Stupid and Shut Up" I've given up!

• Options
    I'd tell him once that those aren't nice words and we don't say them and ignore.  If you react to it too much then he might think they are a big deal and continue using them.  

My kids have both said all kinds of bad words that they've mostly gotten from me.  I am careful with what I say most of the time but not all of the time.  I wouldn't stress too much really.  
  • Options
    At 3, I would definitely go with what pp said. 

My son is almost 23 months and has been saying "shut up" for a couple of months now, but the good thing is he only says it to barking dogs (and one crying baby in the store the other day). He only hears it in reference to our barky dogs, so he says it to them, the dog next door, and my parents' dogs. We're trying to work with him to transition to "hush" and not react to it any further. 

Really, EVERYBODY'S kids have said "bad" words. Don't worry too much!
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 3 year old unfortunately also says stupid.  I actually have no clue where he heard it (I rarely say it and really dislike the word in general).  I made a huge mistake when he first said which was I made a huge deal of it.  And now he is still saying it.  Ignoring has made the most impact but hasn't completely solved the problem.  I can't wait for him to move on.   But like others said don't worry too much about it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Give him some replacement words that you find appropriate like shh and silly. Talk to him before there is an issue and use the new words. When he says the words you don't want him to say just ignore. Use the key words a lot and praise him when he does also. Consistency will be the key and give it time. If you switch to another method the problem will persist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"