December 2014 Moms
Options

Breast pump Upgrade

Anyone looked into upgrading the breast pump provided by your insurance? My insurance provides the Medela Advanced starter (PISA equivalent), TOMY MI pump(?), Hygeia and Ameda Purely Yours. I used a Medela Freestyle with my last daughter and I really liked it. Loved the portability and the pump in general. My sister borrowed it to check it out, and then she ended up buying her own freestyle (her insurance only provided Ameda). This was earlier this year, and now she said she can't find mine :( Anyway, I am in contact with Aeroflow Inc, and they said to upgrade to the freestyle, it's $225.... The regular cost of the freestyle is $349 and it's generally on sale for around $310. I have United Health insurance and I was wondering if anyone looked into this, and also, if they were quoted something similar? Also, if you can recommend any other providers that work with United and do optional upgrades.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Breast pump Upgrade

• Options
    No experience with this at all, but thanks for reminding me to check and see if my insurance covers my pump. Also, there is a bf board and they might be able to help-I have gotten some good advice from there. Good luck!
  • Options
    No help here sorry. Our ins covers the Medela Pisa, which is what I wanted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Slaps said:

smack427 said:

No experience with this at all, but thanks for reminding me to check and see if my insurance covers my pump. Also, there is a bf board and they might be able to help-I have gotten some good advice from there. Good luck!

Oh look at you pointing a regular to another board!
    Just thought she may not have seen it. I know someone said the other day they didn't even know that board existed. :)
  • Options
    I'm just starting the process. Our fiscal year starts in July, so even though United Healthcare started offering a free double pump on January 1, 2014, most of my colleagues who had babies (that I know) had them before July so they weren't eligible. The directions if memory serves were to call the number on the back of your insurance card. Do a Google search - I've done one within the last week and you'll find some good info. Someone posted in a bump birth month page too. Keep me posted with your progress!
  • Options
    I have United Healthcare and was going to get the Freestyle through Byram Healthcare - did you try them?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    HALFM00NHALFM00N member
    edited October 2014
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the functional difference between Medela PISA and Freestyle? Primarily the main power source? Andplusalso-- your sister lost your breast pump? She lost it? How the hell does that happen?
    Ha, I don't know what happened but when I asked for it, she said she can't find it. It was just the motor part of it, and that is pretty small, so I will give her the benefit of a doubt. She passive aggressively offered to purchase a new one but I will take care of it myself. I don't want to make any sort of a big deal with her. I did pay OOP for it because I don't think the AHA was passed at that time. 
    And regarding PISA and Freestyle, PISA is attached to a tote or backpack unless you upgrade. It also uses an outlet or disposable batteries. The freestyle has a different mechanism of let down I think.
    I have read mixed reviews on both, some reviewers claim that in theory PISA should have a stronger pull because it uses an outlet while others claim the Freestyle is just made better to have a stronger pull. I am just used to the freestyle so I kind of want to stick with it. I would pay the $225 but just "shopping" around right now.
  • Options
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the functional difference between Medela PISA and Freestyle? Primarily the main power source? Andplusalso-- your sister lost your breast pump? She lost it? How the hell does that happen?
    I've heard from LC that if you are returning to work and pumping to replace feedings, the PISA is the better choice.  Because it plugs in, the suction is stronger and you'll get better output.

BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    HALFM00NHALFM00N member
    edited October 2014
    AllTheTeaInChina said:
    I've heard from LC that if you are returning to work and pumping to replace feedings, the PISA is the better choice.  Because it plugs in, the suction is stronger and you'll get better output.

My main purpose  is pumping at work but last time, I pumped for a year and the FS was fine.
  • Options
    Yes I am upgrading to the freestyle. I have to pay $170 and they cover the rest. Or I can pick a pump up to $250 and would not have to pay anything. However for what I need I feel the free style will best fit me
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the ameda purely yours pump? I've read positive reviews on it. I'm trying to decide between the medela in style or swing vs the ameda?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"