October 2014 Moms
Options

Little Babe's Birth Story (warning for a crappy birth experience)

My husband was set to take his last trip before DD arrived. He was going to high level Canada from Wednesday to Saturday. We went to our weekly doctors appointment on Tuesday. We were supposed to have a growth ultra sound due to measuring 1.5-2 weeks ahead for the last 3 appointments but all of the doctors had been called out so no one was available and we had to wait until next weeks appointment. Nothing was indicated to be out of the ordinary at the appointment so DH was all set for his trip. Wednesday, DH got to Canada and called me to let me know that he had no cell service and gave me the name of his hotel "just in case". I was sick at home with a cold Wednesday but otherwise nothing felt any different with my body. Just crappy, like I had been feeling the last couple of weeks. Big and uncomfortable. Friday night I went to bed like normal. Around 2 am I felt what I thought was just discharge and ignored it, continued to sleep. I felt it again and thought here we go, I'm peeing myself already. I walked half asleep to the bathroom and I sat down to pee but I just kept peeing. First alarm went off in my head and I thought no, I'm only 36 weeks pregnant I still have like a month! Then I felt my underwear and they were wet too. I immediately took them off and smelled them, didn't smell like much of anything. I shrugged it off, tossed them in the dirty clothes, got a new pair and laid back in bed. In a wet spot. Cue panic. I turned on the light. Since we have white sheets I knew at this point my water had broken but I was still in denial. It went something like *ugly cry* this isn't happening right now!! I laid down to see if I was having contractions and tried to call DH's cell- straight to voicemail. Continue panic that I'm alone and I'm only 36 weeks pregnant. I pull my shit together a moment to dial my IL's. It takes approximately 3 minutes for them to get to me ugly crying in our bed. MIL peels me out of bed and hugs me until I calm down and tries to comfort me by telling me DH was going to get home and FIL was going to call him. We start half ass stuffing things in bags and I insist I'm going to shower. While I'm undressed MIL knocks on the door and says she has my husband on the phone. He immediately has this panicked voice and he says to me "are you fucking kidding me right now?" I say nope! *cue more ugly crying* He calms me down and asks me what's happening, tells me loves me and he's going to form his plan and to call him when we get to the hospital. Luckily my doctor is on call this evening so I can tell I've woken her up and she's super confused about wtf is happening because she's also doing the math in her head. We hop in the car to start the 1 hour 20 minute drive to the hospital. I'm trying to keep my shit together. I call my mom, who is approximately 14 hours away. She seems freaked out but I tell her to wait I'll call her when I get to the hospital I have more information. We're almost to the hospital when my oldest brother (who just had a baby a month ago, and is 4 hours away) texts me and says he's on his way to text him the address of the hospital. I know now that my mom really is panicking. We get to the hospital the nurse starts taking vitals and hooking me up to things. She checks me and tells me the baby must be high because she can't feel her head down. I'm thinking well this is new since I've been waddling since 3rd tri from all the pressure. About 20 mins later my doctor walks in with a sono machine and I do a little panic and I ask her if the baby is ok, and if she's big enough to be born now. My doctor just tells me she wants to see if she's still head down and she feels my stomach and said she feels like a good size to her. (Now it occurs she didn't fucking know she's just trying to put me at ease) she checks me and it hurts so bad I'm crying and she's pushing into me and trying to push DD to find her head and MIL is talking to me and trying to distract me. My doctor makes a comment about how she can't remember me being this hard to check and my pelvis being so damn narrow. My doctor asks me where DH is and I tell her. She has a holy shit moment to herself. She then tells me she doesn't want me getting up except maybe to pee but really she's not even comfortable with that so when ever I want the epidural she'd prefer I did that ASAP so they could cath me. Moving at this point is dangerous for the baby because she's so high up that her cord could come out. So pitocin to get her to try to come down and then a nonchalant mention about my high BP and she wants me on magnesium to get it to come down. My strep test also hadn't come back so some more drugs for that! So the fact that my BP was an issue did not occur to me and they were completely down playing it to me. I think it was all the stress that I was already in about DH making it home in time. DH called again about 750 he said he was getting ready to leave Canada. He couldn't get gas until the airport opened at 8am so he had been just waiting. He asked me how it was going and I told him the nurse said she'd be back at 6pm and would be surprised if I'd had the baby before she got back. That made him feel a little better. I told him, just get home. Then I had a nurse shift change. This nurse was so awesome, I cry just thinking about how supportive and great she was. (Not important to the story, just to me) so I got my Epidural about 9. This experience made me realize why I've had so much lower back pain. It took 5 tries to get it placed correctly by the most experienced person they had. The nurse was holding me and he hit my back bone and I screamed. Cue more ugly crying. MIL was trying to talk to me to get me to calm down so he could place it, but I heard her crying too. The anesthesiologist told me I was his challenge for the week. I had a twist in my lower back that made placement difficult. I am going to the chiropractor ASAP for this shit. My brother got there shortly after and the day was other wise uneventful. I didn't progress past 3 cm the entire time. Finally around 3:30 DH calls me and says he's landed and is starting his hour and 30 min drive to me at the hospital. Later i found out he was doing 100 plus the whole way. About this time the nurse kicks everyone out to check me. She levels with me, between her and I that I'm headed for a c section because I'm not progressing and the baby doesn't want to come down and with my BP my doctor is really worried about me. She didn't want me to be disappointed about some birth experience that I had built up in my head. I told her I had zero expectations I just wanted my little girl to be ok and for DH to be there when she was born. She said she was holding off my doctor and that she'd call her as soon as DH got there. About 420 DH walks in. Cue some more ugly crying. I'm really drugged out at this point I don't know if anyone has ever been on magnesium...it's nasty shit. So about 2 hours later my doctor walks in and tells me she thinks I need to go ahead with the csection because I'm on a short time here and nothing is progressing. With my high BP she'd feel better if we just get the baby out. I look at DH and we both agree that it's the best thing. She says good because I called a code yellow that means we have a baby in 30 minutes. They start tossing surgical gear at DH and prepping me for surgery. I'm wheeled out a couple doors down, people are rushing around me. It was quite chaotic and honestly a little scary. The anesthesiologist is talking to me, he was there earlier when his co worker was having trouble placing my epidural and he tells me I'm still going to feel pressure and he knows I still have a little feeling on the left but that's as numb as I was going to get and it was best for me and the baby to power through. With my cold and my asthma it was dangerous for him to put me out completely. They bring DH in and start cutting. I don't feel pain but I feel everything else. It was a pretty scary feeling. I also knew that with DD being preemie that they would have to take her to the NICU for an hour. I was pretty crushed about this but I didn't have time to mull it over. DH and I agreed that he would go with her and leave me in the operating room. So about 5-10 minutes they pushed on my stomach and my doctor announces my little girl is born and that it's 7:19. I hear her cry and I immediately start crying. I can't explain the relief I felt to hear her. DH tells me she's ok. They show her to me, I see her maybe one minute. They let me kiss her and then say they gotta take her. So DH kisses me and asks if I'm sure that he should go with her, I know I look fucking terrified about being left alone by the way he looks at me. They had started to sew me up when I was feeling a lot of pain. The anesthesiologist told me he could give me something but the side effect was nausea and since I was feeling like throwing up earlier he wanted me to be sure I wanted it. I hesitated about that but it hurt so fucking bad I said yuuup! I felt better almost immediately. He walked me through the rest to tell me where they were at so I knew when it was over. After I was done and sewed up my doctor gave me some encouragement and told me I had a sudden onset of preeclampsia which she thinks caused my water to break. She said getting the baby out had my BP almost instantly coming down and that DD was doing great. I got back to my room and I immediately threw up. So embarrassing. It was another 20 minutes before DH walked in with my beautiful girl and I got to hold her and feed her. Instant love. My mom walked in about that same time. I tried to shorten my story but a lot of things happened! The day was a shit storm of things and I'm glad I'm ok and my DD is really healthy. So thanks for sticking it out. I would love to reward you with squish photos but after discussing with DH we're keeping her private because of issues we've had with weirdos in past experience. So LB you're the only one who got to see her ;-) Not that you ladies are weirdos but any weirdo can see her up in here. She has a full head of blonde hair and fat cheeks! She's already over her birth weight and were doing better every day.

Re: Little Babe's Birth Story (warning for a crappy birth experience)

• Options
    So glad your DH made it in time!! Congratulations :)
    photo: YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US!

• Options
    I teared up a little reading your story! I'm so glad you both are doing well and your DH made it in time for the birth!
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugly cried here as well. I am just so happy your girl is doing well and your DH was able to be there for her birth!
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Holy crap !! Congrats on a healthy baby but damn
  • Options
    So glad everything worked out in the end! Congratulations on your sweet new baby girl!
        Super Hero 8/12/11     Baby Girl EDD 10/16/14

• Options
    Oh my gosh, wow. So many hugs to you, @MrsBabe614‌! Your story put tears in my eyes, no lie. I'm sorry you had such a hectic experience, but I'm so glad your DH made it on time and you & your squish are okay.

Congratulations! >:D<
  • Options
    Congrats! I cried the whole time reading your story. I usually don't but yours made me cry. I would have been freaking out if my dh was out of town and I went into labor! I'm scared enough that I'll go into labor before my mil is here to watch my kids. Lol.
  • Options
    Congrats! Glad everything worked out ok.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Options

Wow, sorry it was so traumatic for you. I'm glad everything worked out! Congrats on your healthy baby girl :)

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

• Options
    Glad DH made it! Congrats!
    photo DSC_7607-Version2_zps4129cb9d.jpg funny gifs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Wow, so glad your DH made it on time! Sorry you had such a stressful birth experience, but congrats on your baby girl!!

• Options
    I'm so glad your DH made it in time!! Congrats on your baby girl!
  • Options
    Congrats
  • Options
    Phew - glad that everything turned out ok. I hope that you are coping well with the C-section recovery, please try and rest as much as possible and I'm glad that baby is doing well. 

I know that in your mind, this birth experience wasn't the best but at the end of the day, you and the baby are healthy and that is all that matters (I had an unexpected birth experience with my 1st which took me a little while to get over which is why I say this - please ignore if you are fine with how everything went down). 

• Options
    @ss265‌ thanks for saying that. I am happy that we're both ok considering how fast things went downhill for me. We're extremely lucky that my body reacted the way it did to get the baby out. Thanks everyone for the kind words :x
  • Options
    I can't imagine the range of emotions! Glad DH made it and your MIL was so helpful and supportive. Sounds like you had great support even if your DH wasn't there for the beginning stages.
    Congrats on a healthy baby!

• Options
    LB! So happy to read your story. Your family support during this totally made me tear up, what great ILs and brother you have. :x

image         image

• Options
    Wow! Congratulations! I'm glad your DH made it back in time and that everyone is happy and healthy now!
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
  • Options
    I straight-up cried.  I'm sorry that everything was so scary, but you did amazing!  I'm glad that everything worked out in the end. Congrats!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I'm sorry that your birth did not go as planned and I hope you recover quickly.

One thing that stuck out to me in reading your story that was not mentioned yet is how many supportive people you had there by your side. You had people stepping up and coming from all directions to be with you at the hospital to support you. If you are looking for a silver lining in addition to the most important one which is of course that you and baby are healthy, it sounds like you have a pretty great family.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    @JessAnnJ‌ I do have a pretty amazing family. It definitely helped to ease the anxiety.
  • Options
    Congratulations! So glad your DH made it and everyone is doing well!!
  • Options
    Wow! Congratulations! And I'm so happy DH made it in time!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    So glad she's here and all is well after a crazy experience!

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    Omg I'm so emotional from your story!!! I'm so glad you made it through!!!
  • Options
    Congrats! Glad you're both doing ok
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Very intense. I am so happy that you and your little girl are doing well.

Giving birth is a son of a bitch on a good day and when you add all the you went through on top of it it is pretty incredible. You are one tough cookie!

So happy your husband made it in time.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So happy that DH made it in time and LO arrived safely!!   
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    Congratulations! Sorry it was traumatic.

• Options
    Congrats! I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience but so glad that you and you baby are ok and that your DH made it home in time! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Me- 36 DH- 40 ***TTC since 1/13

BFP #1 - 4/3/13 *** EDD 12/13/13 ***M/C 4/12/13 @5wks 1 day

BFP#2 - 1/29/14 ***EDD 10/11/14

It's a GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Congrats! Glad everyone is safe and healthy.
  • Options
    So glad your H made it in time and that you had so much support, and that you and baby are doing fine. Congrats! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Congratulations, so happy that you and baby are both safe.
  • Options
    I cried reading this whole damn story. Lord. I'm so happy that it all worked out well. Thank you for sharing. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
    *My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
    I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.
  • Options
    You are a super star!
    Glad DH made it in time.
    Congratulations!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your difficult story.
  • Options
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like quite a roller coaster ride.
  • Options
    Sorry that you had a crappy experience but very happy for you that your DH got to be there and you and the baby are doing well. Enjoy your little girl and congratulations!

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    Congrats!  I am crying reading this as it's so full of emotion!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"