June 2014 Moms
Options

Mommy Guilt

I hear it in so many of our posts and see it among so many of my friends!

Let's talk it out...what is the source of your "mommy guilt" and/or how can we get rid of it?

Re: Mommy Guilt

• Options
    Leaving baby while I go to work full time. I'm going to miss him so much it makes me sick thinking about it
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine is from not being able to breastfeed or being to anxious to breastfeed.  I pump and have plenty of milk but can't make the switch to breastfeeding.  i get so jelous when i see these moms nursing their babies in public and the baby is just hanging off the boob.  when i try to nurse i have to use both hands and i am freaking out the entire time thinking she got too little milk and it was all foremilk.
  • Options
    so much guilt about all of the therapy B needs. I feel like it's my fault, maybe I didn't work with him enough, or give him enough opportunities to develop the skills. I don't know. it's just so overwhelming. blergh.
  • Options
    That I couldn't stay pregnant longer.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    Totally this.  Even though I'm 99% sure it was unpreventable.  Still have no idea why it happened and it terrifies me to have another.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is that I lose my temper with my toddler so easily when she is loud and DS is sleeping.
  • Options
    Definitely not being able to breastfeed... the women above covered all the emotions in regards to that issue.  I will add that I feel guilty about not being able to breastfeed any future babies too.  

Also, I feel guilty that I have to go to work and leave LO at daycare.  I wish I could be a SAHM but that's just not in the cards for us.  I know I can still be a great mom regardless, it's just a matter of accepting the fact that I'm still taking care of S, just not the way I imagined.  
  • Options
    Stupid breastfeeding, it is the worst. Hate that I couldn't make it work and LO and I don't have that bond.
  • Options
    I went through the whole stages of grief thing with breastfeeding. Totally scarring experience. If I had had a birth plan breastfeeding would have been the only "must" on the list. So naturally it was doomed! Side Note: Baby is totally happy and healthy on formula.

I feel guilty that I actually want to go back to work. I worked very hard to become a nurse, gave up a high-paying job to go to nursing school, and consider it my life's "calling". Yes, cheesy. I am also pursuing an advanced degree and if my LO didn't go to daycare 3 days a week that would not be possible. I feel guilty when people talk about crying all day or for multiple days after dropping their LO off at daycare...because I'm not sure I'll do the same.

See! If I had only breastfed I'd be bonded enough to cry at daycare! Just can't win...
  • Options
    I had a really bad case of mommy guilt after she dropped a bunch of weight after leaving the hospital, she's now double her birth weight and hasn't stop growing but I still doubt myself and my milk supply from time to time. I had a really tough time thinking I was letting my baby starve, after that first visit with her pediatrician I cried for days.
    Now I feel guilty because she cannot have her own bedroom, we live in a two bedroom apartment and my step kids stay the weekends on the second room. I wish we could buy a house so she could have her own space, I was kind of jelly looking at your beautiful nurseries and wish I could have done that for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Options
    Mommy guilt is returning to work shortly and not sure if I can keep up w breastfeeding. I am really going to try but it's so awkward thinking I'll be in the nurse's office locked in a room milking myself :-/.

I have to add in wife guilt as well bc I feel like I'm such a bitch to DH and have no desire for sex.
  • Options
    BMaidPlannerBMaidPlanner member
    edited September 2014

I went through the whole stages of grief thing with breastfeeding. Totally scarring experience. If I had had aThngastfeedingkillld have been the only "must" on the list. So naturally it was doomed! Side Note: Baby is totally happy and healthy on formula.

I feel guilty that I actually want to go back to work. I worked very hard to become a nurse, gave up a high-paying job to go to nursing school, and consider it my life's "calling". Yes, cheesy. I am also pursuing an advanced degree and if my LO didn't go to daycare 3 days a week that would not be possible. I feel guilty when people talk about crying all day or for multiple days after dropping their LO off at daycare...because I'm not sure I'll do the same.

See! If I had only breastfed I'd be bonded enough to cry at daycare! Just can't win...

Today was my LO's first day at daycare and I start work Thursday. (Two days of me figuring out pumping bottles for her, cleaning, appointments, and I'm nearby in case I need to see her.) I did cry all day BUT I know I also like my job and will like being back. I cried because she Is still so small and it feels like I know her best and would focus only on her. Then I think about how I could pee whenever I want today and that was cool too.

The conflicting emotions kill me.

• Options
    I have so much guilt about her weight and reflux. LO has not gained much weight and I feel like I'm not making quality milk or that I'm not making enough. I worry that my diet is making the reflux worse.
    I also have guilt about working. I hate being away from her and feel that I should be home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

I went through the whole stages of grief thing with breastfeeding. Totally scarring experience. If I had had aThngastfeedingkillld have been the only "must" on the list. So naturally it was doomed! Side Note: Baby is totally happy and healthy on formula.

Today was my LO's first day at daycare and I start work Thursday. (Two days of me figuring out pumping bottles for her, cleaning, appointments, and I'm nearby in case I need to see her.) I did cry all day BUT I know I also like my job. I cried because she Is still so small and it feels like I know her beat and would focus only on her. Then I think about how I could pee whenever I want today and that was cool too. The conflicting emotions kill me.

Watch, on Nov 3rd (LOs first day in daycare) I'll probably have to come back in here and talk all about how I bawled like a baby. Then I'll feel guilty for ever saying that I wasn't gonna cry. Damn you guilt spiral!

• Options
    going back to work wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and that made me feel the worst. I went back at 6 weeks too. LO is 10 weeks now and I think it's actually getting harder because he's developing a personality and realizes who I am. But I gotta buy diapers, so off to work I go! 

I got over the breastfeeding thing. I had a breast reduction 12 years ago so I knew I had a 50/50 shot of being able to. I just couldn't get a good enough supply to do it. Nursing, Feeding, and Pumping just wasn't worth it any more after 3 weeks. I was only producing maybe an ounce a day from pumping. 

• Options
    This is smaller, but I feel mommy guilt every time I use the pacifier or put the baby down in his activity mat while I mad dash to clean something or answer an email. I know it's OK (I'm not doing it all day! I grab him when he cries!) But I still feel bad.

Mommy guilt about going back to work is a given :(

image        image

• Options
    I'm guilty over everything! Not breastfeeding messes with me a little but I chose to pump because it was better for him so I'm okay with it. I mostly feel guilt for not feeling guilty. I wasn't one of those women who cried all day when I went back to work, though I held him for hours every night that week. I am obsessed with pumping for as long as I can. I have such a guilt block with formula and I see no problem with it. I guess I just think that the sacrifice means I love him more? I don't even know if that makes sense.
  • Options
    I feel guilty when DD falls asleep on me and I move her to the Rock n' Play. She always looks confused and angry when she wakes up. If she wakes up during the transfer I feel really guilty for ruining her nap.
  • Options
    mrscbrad said:

I'm guilty over everything! Not breastfeeding messes with me a little but I chose to pump because it was better for him so I'm okay with it. I mostly feel guilt for not feeling guilty. I wasn't one of those women who cried all day when I went back to work, though I held him for hours every night that week. I am obsessed with pumping for as long as I can. I have such a guilt block with formula and I see no problem with it. I guess I just think that the sacrifice means I love him more? I don't even know if that makes sense.

I think that makes an odd kind of sense. If I had been able to produce more than 14 oz a day pumping it would have been much harder for me to go to formula and I'd still probably be doing it (even though I 100% believe there is trivial or no health outcome difference for the LO). EPing has its own internal crazy making logic.
  • Options
    otter1103 said:

Mine is also not being able to breastfeed. I am perfectly fine feeding my baby with formula but I get insanely jealous and sad when I'm out and see other mamas nursing.

Totally this!

I also feel guilty leaving C at daycare. At the same time I feel guilty because I enjoy my time at work.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rainbowdashhrainbowdashh member
    edited September 2014

Mine is that I lose my temper with my toddler so easily when she is loud and DS is sleeping.

Mine too. My fuse is so short with my toddler these days. She can be so frustrating and I find myself wishing it was time for bed so I could have some peace. It makes me feel awful.
  • Options
    I feel guilty that I don't love breastfeeding. Everyone seemed like it was magical and wonderful and I just don't feel like it is. I have EBF so far and baby is thriving and I haven't had any real issues, I just don't like it. I also have a visceral, negative reaction to my pump. I have no idea but I loathe pumping. So if I want a break, I have to pump and so I don't and then I don't get a break.
  • Options
    @elsa1688‌ I didn't love bf'ing either. LO would get so angry at the slow flow from day one so I started pumping so we would both be happier but even now when he latches and breastfeeds well it's not a major bonding experience any more so than cuddling is. I feel like bath times offer us more bonding.
  • Options
    I feel guilty about working full time, and when I find myself (rarely) enjoying the me time I feel guilty again. I also feel guilty about watching TV with babe. She just is so calm and snuggly while we watch and I feel like we both need it after a long day but I do feel bad so I try to limit that as much as possible. I also feel guilty when she falls asleep bfing and I pull the nipple out and the loud lip smack looks like it annoys her
  • Options
    @skittler2‌ - I have ridiculous mommy guilt towards my dog, too. He's been so great with the baby at all but I get frustrated when he's oN my heels following me and the baby around the house. Maybe I'll order him a bark box, I've always wanted to.

image        image

• Options
    Like most if you my mommy guit comes from going back to work. My mom and sister are taking care of her so I know ages in good hands, but I miss her too much. My baby needs me. Also we were having issues with LO taking a bottle. I thought I found a way she would take the bottle, but turns out she won't take it with my mom or sister. They have been feeding her with a dropper :(. I hope she takes the bottle soon.
  • Options
    I have mommy guilt about not pushing for longer tummy time sessions. His doctor told us this week that his hips are tight and that he needs more tummy time. As a PT, I feel extra guilty because I know I didn't push it and picked him up as soon as he would cry.
  • Options
    I'm in the breastfeeding guilt club too. When I was doing it, I felt guilt that my milk was making her reflux worse & then I felt guilty for supplementing so I could get some rest & now I still feel guilty for completely switching to formula when she was dx with a milk allergy.

I also feel guilty for putting her down during the day so I can get stuff done but I remind myself that I'm interacting with her 99% of the day & maybe she needs a break sometimes.

• Options
    Mommy guilt towards my dog and cat too. They have been seriously neglected. Relationship with dh is strained too because he's working so much because I don't want to go back to work.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Totally this.  Even though I'm 99% sure it was unpreventable.  Still have no idea why it happened and it terrifies me to have another.

This is exactly what I have the most guilt about. I feel like I did something wrong to make her come do soon, and if she hadn't been do early she would not have had to stay in the NICU. @diagonalley‌, I'm worried about having another too because of this.
  • Options

I feel guilty over my body not being able to push a baby out (pelvis is too small) and having to have a c-section.  I know I'll never get to experience a vaginal birth and it's sad.  At the same time I feel guilty because even though I had a C-section my recovery was so easy I feel like I cheated or something.

I have guilt over not being able to breastfeed.  Even though I know it was for the best because I wasn't producing enough I still feel guilt that my body didn't work right.

I feel guilty that since DH works nights LO prefers me at night because I'm who he is used to.  It makes me sad when the baby is fussy with his Dad even though he is a wonderful father and is trying, he just doesn't do things like I do and with his schedule LO isn't getting to consistently experience his dad's version of a night time routine/play/interaction.

I also feel guilt over my poor dog.  I feel like I'm neglecting Tank even though he is so wonderful with the baby I feel like I'm constantly saying No Tank.

At least I don't feel guilt about returning to work.  If I think about it I probably feel guilty because I don't feel guilty about this.

Mommy hormones suck.

Also, @saltypearl you are amazing and wonderful and make most of us look pathetic in comparison.

• Options
    I think I finally worked through my guilt from decided to give up BF instead of fighting to bring my supply back. Between my supply and LO's reflux it just wasn't working and seeing him happier now is what reassures me I made the right choice for us.

I also feel guilt for not having a degree that would allow me to get a good job. I'm in school, and can't get a job that justifies the cost of daycare. I feel bad because if I had a good job, we could live closer to DH's job and instead of 2-3 hours a day during the week, LO would be getting closer to 4 or 5 with DH. I just feel like a failure on not being able to contribute more right now.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    I also have guilt over not feeling like I'm cut out to be a SAHM. I just get so anxious and frustrated when LO is needy and feel like I'm not getting anything done that I should be. I just want to put LO down and walk away and can't. I'm sure we will grow into this relationship as he gets more independent, but for now I feel guilty for not wanting to be in this position that I thought I so desperately wanted.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    @saltypearl‌ you're amazing and strong. You're children are lucky to have you as a mother.
  • Options

I have so much guilt about so many things...

That after an induction and many interventions that I didn't want/plan to have, I ended up with a c section. I feel like there must have been more I could have done/not done during the labor process to prevent this. I wish I could go back and do it again. All I can think of is what I am going to do with my next baby, but it is discouraging because VBACs are not allowed at any of the hospitals around here and I will likely need to travel 1-2 hours to a major hospital in Boston if I want to try for one.

That I am back at work and don't get enough time with him in the evenings. By the time I am home there are only a few hours left before he goes to sleep for the night. He also cries when I leave in the morning which makes me feel horrible and I often cry on the way to work.

That my dog also feels neglected. He was my baby before LO was born and now I feel like I have no time for him and he acts so depressed. He is great around LO but hides under the bed for most of the day and won't come out - it makes me feel awful.

• Options
    My guilt is mommy/wife guilt. Not getting enough done/not spending enough time with her. Also going to work. I never thought I'd want to be a SAHM, but now I want nothing more!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"