2nd Trimester
Options

Gender disappointment

Had an ultrasound as part of the Harmony test today & although the tech said she wasn't completely sure, she said she thought it was a girl.  I know I should be happy to be having a healthy baby.  But I'm so bitterly disappointed.  I sobbed.  I know there are a million wonderful things about having a girl & I love my friends' girls, I just REALLY & TRULY never ever wanted one myself.  I love being the mom of boys (I have 2), and now...I'm miserable.  Miserable to the point where I just don't even want it now.  (Not that I won't have it, of course not.)  I know I sound like a horrible, ungrateful, terrible human being.  I know that.  Please believe I'm not.  Has anyone else gone through massive gender disappointment?  How did you deal & get to the point to where you were more than just accepting but actually happy about it? Because, I WANT to be happy about a girl, but if I am honest with myself, I'm not right now.  But I want to be.  Advice?

Re: Gender disappointment

• Options
    Quite helpful.  Thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Fine.  Forget it.  Forget thinking there was somewhere I could be honest and not have it thrown in my face. Anyone who reads it, just forget it.  Okay? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you just have to give yourself time.  Start talking about fun things about girls with your family, think about what great big brothers your boys will be to a little sister.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I totally want a girl. Maybe if I have another boy we can trade ;)

But seriously, this is one of the main reasons why I didn't want to find out the sex until the baby is born. I will be ecstatic when I meet my newborn no matter if it's a boy or a girl. I have two boys and would love to give them a little sister.

Either way, I will be happy.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    All I've ever wanted was a daughter... We are pregnant with boy #3. I've definitely gone through some sort of "gender disappointment" but you do get over it. You are lucky to experience having a boy(s) and a girl. I'm sure you will come to terms with it. GL!
  • Options
    mbedroya said:
    https://elisevivienne.blogspot.com/2013/08/brain-surgery-check.html

Just to give you a little perspective... here is how our 19 week ultrasound went with our baby girl last year. If you read through the blog, you'll discover that she passed away at two months old. I cannot even comprehend that there are people who feel the way that you are feeling regarding a HEALTHY child. Hopefully you'll never know the pain I know. 

I can't even imagine. I am so sorry. :(

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options

Nope. Just nope. /:)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Whoa, okay I posted a thread with the exact same name a long time ago, and I thought it had come back up. Whoops! Edited to remove comment which was meant for that totally different thread.

Now, about THIS thread: Look. Gender disappointment is one of those things that exist, although we'd like it not to. When I found out we were having a girl, my fiance was terribly disappointed. I could tell. But he got over it, and now he's excited. I don't think you'll look your daughter in the face when she's born and feel the way you do now. 

Give yourself time, you'll come around. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, you're all right.  I'm complete scum.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Best of luck always being perfect in your lives.
  • Options
    MrsMuq said:

FFS people it's sex not gender!

There's a helluva lot more wrong about this post other than the sex/gender confusion.

You don't say.

Married 5/31/10
    DS 10/31/12
    BFP 11/18/14
    EDD 7/31/15

July15 Siggy Challenge: Favorite holiday movie. Bad Santa!
  • Options
    @janda426 I wish you hung out on the F15 BMB so I could drool over your siggy all day  :-* 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AF9211 said:

@janda426 I wish you hung out on the F15 BMB so I could drool over your siggy all day  :-* 

Lol if I was due 5 days earlier you'd see him more ;)
  • Options
    Originally you asked for advice when it came to gender disappointment and what I can say, and the point that others are making, is that you need to take a step back and reassess the situation. You are carrying a healthy baby and that is the most important thing. It may take a bit, and may possibly won't be until the birth, but once you see your baby girl hopefully feelings will shift for you. I do have some friends who also had major gender disappointment so I know that it does affect people differently and it can be hard to sort out those feelings. Just take a step back and know that no matter what that baby is a blessing and when it comes down to it you need to love it no matter what sex it is.
  • Options
    @ErikaLovesChrisG‌ I also wonder, is your preference for boys because you are more comfortable with them since you already have 2? That may have some to do with it as well. Remember you are a woman and can relate to a daughter as well on a different level. Just because it's not what you are used to doesn't mean that you can't handle it. I think talking to someone who can remain impartial would be a big help to you right now and would help you sort out your feelings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"