February 2014 Moms
Options

Dog Bite Help

2»

Re: Dog Bite Help

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

So what's the dog doing that his behavior is deteriorating?

I can't explain it. I just feel it. I can't put into words what philosophy I use or how I work with (or in this case have failed to) with her.
    She seems more disconnected with the family. She is not the kind of dog that needs a lot of attention. She always likes fresh air and sunshine more than human interaction. She doesn't respond well to praise and doesn't like toys. She likes to lay in the sun. She is usually very mellow and relaxed, but joyful. Lately she hasn't been herself. Looking back that was the case before last weekend.

I really think I underestimated the impact of kids she doesn't know being here. We have another older 'sometimes kid' who she has spent a ton of time with and loves. I think I wrongfully thought she liked all kids, when I should have realized she likes my kids. Moving to a new house, having a string of nannys at the house who are not me, and the kids harassing her was just too much.

We are moving again this weekend. We have decided not to hire a new nanny but to do something different. All of this means the dog will go back to having large blocks of time to herself. We are obviously really keyed into any more agressive behaviors. I am hopeful that going back to our old routine, and adjustments in behaviors by all will allow her to relax and get back to herself. But I am fighting an uphill battle with my H, so we will see. He is really worried about the baby. He feels like LO could crawl over to the dog, and he just doesn't trust her anymore.

I am still working on it. It is a process.
    So you can't say any behavior changes or issues but you feel her behavior is deteriorating?

Oh.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    There are negative comments because the whole bite situation was one of the fucking stupidest things I've ever heard and they're damn lucky it wasn't worse and yet the dog may be killed. Knowing a dog is food aggressive and having a child feed

There are negative comments because she says shit is deteriorating and can't say how. She just senses it.

There are negative comments because yanking a dog around by it's collar ABSOLUTELY DOES HURT IT.

I haven't seen any evidence to work on it.

She won't take the dog to a vet.
    She won't detail the issues that make her think things are deteriorating so we can help.
    She won't talk about her training methods so we can suggest other ways to handle this.
    She wouldn't come down on the nanny who let her kids hurt the dog and risk themselves.

I just can't with all of that.

image image
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"