Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Rolling over in crib

Hi-

Our 3.5 month old started rolling over from back to front this week & at night she rolls over on her tummy. She also moves around the crib a lot and gets her legs & arms stuck in between the bars, which wakes her up. This happens at least twice/night. We have the snuza monitor so I am slightly ok with her sleeping on tummy, but is there any thing we can do safely to prevent her from rolling over or getting stuck in between the bars? Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Rolling over in crib

• Options
    flclflcl member
    Some people may suggest wedges or other contraptions to try, or to flip them, take their arms/legs out of the slats, but in my limited experience, you just have to give them time to figure it out.  It may make for a few sleepiness nights but our LO was able to get himself unstuck by the 2nd or 3rd night.   
  • Options
    We have a  mesh "bumper" - no limbs stuck yet. Also, I've been reading that once the  baby can roll herself over, the risk of SIDS doesn't really increase so there's no need to reposition them. HOWEVER, I totally get not wanting to risk it.  It doesn't really help mama get any sleep when I'm up watching the monitor like a hawk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go with the mesh bumpers. Our ped told us to press your face against something you plan to put in baby's bed. If you can't breathe through it easily, it's a suffocation risk. If you can, it's not a risk. (I love our ped. Incredibly down to earth.) You can breathe thru the mesh bumper easily. And DD absolutely could not get the hang of not getting stuck (sometimes hip-deep) in her slats. The mesh bumper saved us.
  • Options
    Ok thanks. I'm nervous about mesh bumpers & I don't know if I can get them in Chicago. I know regular ones are banned & they can't be shipped here either. The baby just gets so upset when she gets stuck and we are up several times a night with her. Last night it was 4 times. I'm starting to wonder if it is not normal for her to move around so much. She seems so restless. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I use a magic Merlin sleep suit- my LO used to Always scoot and get stuck at 2 months.... Once she got big enough we starting using the sleep suit and she scoots no more! It says not to use once they can rollover, my LO can rollover but has yet to do roll while sleeping.
  • Options
    I was wondering about this too ... my daughter just started rolling over on her tummy but cant roll back over to her back yet.  Does that make it less safe for her since she cant roll both ways?
  • Options
    *sparky**sparky* member
    edited August 2014

Ok thanks. I'm nervous about mesh bumpers & I don't know if I can get them in Chicago. I know regular ones are banned & they can't be shipped here either. The baby just gets so upset when she gets stuck and we are up several times a night with her. Last night it was 4 times. I'm starting to wonder if it is not normal for her to move around so much. She seems so restless. 

I live in MD and you can't buy regular bumpers here either, but I was able to order breathable bumpers. I have not installed them yet - I was going to ask the Ped at her 4-month appt what he thinks about them. My LO is not getting stuck quite as often as yours though.

She does roll over and sleeps on her tummy now but like the others said once they roll on their own it is ok to let them sleep that way. Still put her down on her back though.

• Options
    I've been using mesh bumper pads for a few months now. My son too would wake up because his arms and legs would be stuck out the sides of the crib. Also my son has been rolling on him tummy since 4 months. I find he sleeps better on his belly so I just let him be. I got my mesh bumper pads from Amazon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"