November 2014 Moms
Options

Formula Mixer: Yay or Nay?

For moms who formula feed, how would you rank the formula machines like a Baby Brezza, on a scale of ridiculous and never get used vs obviously a splurge but great to have?
I picture bleary eyed nights trying to scoop formula into bottles, or pouring from a pitcher & heating while angry baby squalls cause he's hungry...
I know it's a splurge, but so is our Kuerig machine, and it's still fantastic to have. But, am I missing factoring anything else into the decision?
(Obviously) FTM, so I of course don't know will actually be a must-have until LO is already here, so I appreciate anyone's feedback & advice!
Happy 3rd Trimester Ladies!

Re: Formula Mixer: Yay or Nay?

• Options
    I am a FTM and can't speak from experience but my best friend has one and she loves it!!!

I am hoping to breastfeed but if it doesn't work out for me and end up doing formula, based on her love for it and recommendation i think I would get it.

Some of the STM's here may have some personal experience to ad. :)
  • Options
    When my milk dried up (10 mos) DS went to formula for about a month. Mixing it in the bottle was NBD to me, and he took it at room temp.

I wouldn't pay for something like that, but then again I don't see the point in a wipes warmer either. If you have the extra $$$ and feel like spending it, then go for it!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    angelajo19angelajo19 member
    edited August 2014
    I have never used one so... it may be awesome but I never felt like I needed something like that. DD drank formula at room temperature. Before going to bed at night I would scoop the right amount of formula into a clean dry bottle and take it with a bottle of water to my room. When DD woke up I added some water, shook the bottle, topped it off with more water and fed her. I'm not sure it could be easier than that!
    We did formula from about 6 months on and did this. It was super easy in the middle of the night and made it easier when we couldn't warm up a bottle when we were on the go. So, from my experience I wouldn't get a fancy machine.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, I had a bottle pre-measured out with water and then had one of those formula dispensers that had like 3 compartments. I'd just pour the formula into the bottle and shake it up. I put it right next to the rocking chair and had a bottle in her mouth within about a minute of getting her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We used a pitcher. It's not really the big gigantic rush during the night. We poured bottles as needed until he was taking consistent amounts. Then we mixed a pitcher and poured bottles and put them in the fridge. So grabbing a bottle from the fridge already made is still easier than the machine, IMO.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    I am a FTM, so not sure if my opinion counts, but I have a friend with one and she said that it is freakin' awesome.  No warming, no mixing, no thinking.  I only registered for necessities, but this is my one splurge that I put on there. (I totally get if people judge me for it too, I think its an awesome idea though!)

• Options
    Really good points, thank you!
    I guess I'm worrying too much about the sleep deprivation and my ability to function :-SS
  • Options
    It's really not as hard as some want to make it sound. And because it doesn't take nearly as long as a BF'ing baby, you will be back in bed (baring an uncooperative baby) in 30 min or less. Bottle should take 15 min or less (if longer it's time to consider a faster nipple). BF'ing takes considerably longer, so it cuts in on sleep more, and BF babies can wake much more often at times, leaving less time in between to sleep. Being up for 30 min would include a feed and a diaper change and getting them settled back in. Once we cut out diaper changes unless necessary we were back in bed even faster.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    IMO, waste of time, space, and money. I equivalent this to diaper wipes warmer. It's just not worth it. I used to formula feed with fresh room temp water. It was just more easier to have the LO used to room temp so that if we went out anywhere or overnights, I could use a bottle of water for his/her formula and pour in the baby bottle with pre measured formula power and shake/swirl. I think breast milk is also room temp or a little warmer than room temp.

You could register for it but I think considering babies need so much items that cost money, this item would be low on the priority list.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh! Imagine if they made little formula cups for the Keurig!
    Ftm here, but I trained in overnights with a baby nurse and I think a formula mixer is a little ridiculous.
  • Options
    You guys have me thinking now, screw the machine, I want to get him on room temp formula! I thought all babies needed to have warm milk... why doesn't EVERY ONE do it this way then, it sounds so much easier for everyone!
    So super glad I asked, thanks ladies!
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    When DS was on formula, he drank it at room temp. I never attempted to warm up his bottles. I also took a little formula dispenser already divided by bottle along with bottles prefilled with room temp water to bed and kept them on my nightstand. I just poured the powder in and shook them up - you barely have to be awake to do that! ;)

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"