Trouble TTC
Options

Question ***sig warning*** update in comments

EmpireceoEmpireceo member
edited August 2014 in Trouble TTC

Hi ladies.  My best friend has been TTC for 8 months (she will be 35 next month).  She told me yesterday that her OB has discussed her going on Clomid next cycle.  I know that she has not had any testing done but she has been led to believe that Clomid is a miracle drug that will magically get her pregnant.  I've been around these boards enough to know there's some risks associated with unmonitored Clomid.  I just don't know what they are and I want to have all the info when I talk to her today.  Can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources that give all the vital info?

I want to avoid posting on this board more than necessary so thanks in advance for your help.

***children mentioned*****

Anniversary 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question ***sig warning*** update in comments

• Options
    Ok also, clomid isn't a magical cure and presents with it's own potential serious risks (to mom and potential baby). This is why you should only take it if it's safe for you, you've been through testing, and your RE recommends it. Personally I wish I didn't have to take such a drug as there is some evidence linking it to autism in the baby. However, after extensive testing and trying everything possible before the clomid route, this is the path I must go down. Please tell your friend to be sure she's well informed, does her research and is following dr advice.
    TTC since 2013 (grad of 3T)
    EDD: May 24, 2015
  • Options

I'd like to support all of what previous posters have said.  Thank you for trying to get information from people who are experiencing issues with fertility and are getting treatments.  I hope you take this information to your friend and she really takes our/your advice.

As far as Clomid being a "miracle drug" (I know those are the doc's words, not yours): that is wrong.  Some people do not respond to Clomid (i.e. do not produce mature eggs).  On the flip side, Clomid is known to overstimulate the ovaries in many, which is actually worse than not responding in the long run because she runs the risk of losing an ovary all together (reference: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ovarian-hyperstimulation-syndrome-ohss/basics/complications/con-20033777)

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great link @LindseyM2012‌
  • Options
    Champs28 said:
    Great link @LindseyM2012‌
    I love the Mayo Clinic.  They have information on most medical diagnoses and explain information in very simple terms.  I just trust it more than WebMD.

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• Options
    Good for you for looking out for your friend.  If the stories about the risks aren't enough to warn her off let me assure you that Clomid is no miracle.  I took it for 3 months with timed intercourse and another 3 months with IUI and I am still not KU.  It's not a one and done deal and the side effects really suck.  I cannot stress enough how much I hate hot flashes and complete psychopath mood swings.

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• Options
    Basically what everyone else said. Tell her to go to an RE.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    @murrt‌ let me know if you need more info. I do volunteer work in autism research so I have a ton of info
  • Options
    You are a great friend, Thank you for being there for her.
    Me 36 Hypothyroid DH 35 Low T, treatment Clomid
    NTNP 1/2013
    SA Results: nothing to count...
    MFI RE 2/14/2014 Rx Clomid
    TTC 4/26/2014
    6/25/2014 DH Low T 132 Switched to Chorionic Gonadotropin hCG injections 2x wk
    7/15/2014 DH Testosterone check 607!
    8/15/2014 DH new SA 1 MILLION!!!!!!
    11/20/2014 DH new SA 2 Million
    DH continues treatment while moving towards Foster to Adopt

Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"