Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Waking up early

My almost-3-year-old has been waking up between 5/5:30 for a couple of weeks now.  She is cranky all morning and this is throwing off naptime and DS's routine, too.  Normal wake-up time is between 6/6:30.  Bedtime is 7:45/8.  I'm wondering if this is a phase, or if she doesn't need as much sleep?  How many hours does your 3-ish-year old sleep per night?  She does still nap most days for about 1.5-2 hours.  I don't think changing bedtime will help.  On the few occasions she has been up late, she doesn't sleep in.  I don't think the sun rising through the window is an issue because she's waking up when it's still dark.  Any suggestions?   

Re: Waking up early

• Options
    I'd assume phase.  Does she stay in bed till 6 or so does she get up right away?  I usually make my kids stay in bed till 630 (unless there is legitimately something wrong).  DD is 3.5 and DS is 23 mos.  They both go to bed between 8- 30 and wake up between 630- 7.  They both nap in the afternoon DD about 1.5 hours and DS about 2.5 hours.  

Have you thought about purchasing one of those alarm clocks that lights up when it's time to get up for the day?  I've never used one but they get great reviews.  

• Options
    My DS went through this. He still is an early riser but now at least it is 6 am. We did successfully use a clock that changed colors.at a specific time. He understood that the clock had to be green before he woke us up. He usually would stay in bed but we also allowed him to quietly read books in his room as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"