Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

rice cereal - is it really necessary?

My LO just turned 3 months old and we are definitely waiting until 5-6 months to start, but I'm trying to learn more about introducing solids to him. It seems like most people start off with rice cereal for their babies, but I've read that it's just fluff and not nutritional. Has anyone skipped the cereal and went straight to real food (veggies/fruit)? Thoughts?

Re: rice cereal - is it really necessary?

• Options
    We did not with DD1 and won't be for DD2.  We did baby led and would give her softer foods to start, avocados and bananas, steamed veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber), cooked whole grain pasta noodles.   Since we have no food allergies we also did scrambled eggs-yolk only. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We skipped cereal all together. We did do the jarred foods and started with veggies. Even our ped said to skip it, she said if I wanted to do cereal oatmeal would be a better option, but DD hated it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    We started with purees at 4mo per pedi recommendation. They said from 4mo on, with a few restrictions, we could do any cereals (except wheat), veggies, fruits, meats, or eggs. We just started and so far have skipped over cereals, doing sweet potatoes and bananas so far. (She loved both :) ) We're planning to try avocado next. We'll probably do tiny bit of rice cereal a little later just so she gets used to the taste/texture, but not for any extended period.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    We weren't using cereal initially, just fruit and veggie purees, but at our next well visit the doctor told us that we really should, at least once a day, because of the iron in it, that the baby wouldn't get enough of if just eating purees.
  • Options
    i wasn't planning on introducing rice cereal first, but my pedi said that it's rich in Iron. From what I understand Iron stores start to deplete at 6 mths for breastfed babies (I don't know anything about FF). If I don't start with rice/cereal/oatmeal what other foods can I give early that are rich in Iron?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"