November 2014 Moms
Options

To Epidural or not to epidural

Re: To Epidural or not to epidural

• Options
    I planned to go med free even though I had to be induced and the paon got to a point when I wss at a 5-6 that I could no longer focus and breathe thru the contractions. I was scared to death about getting an epi but it was way better than expected. My pain was obviously gone and I could still move my legs, feet, and toes. Two hours after epi I went from a 5 to an 8 then 2 hours and 4 pushes later Coltier was born. I did feel everything, including the pressure-until the dr oushed the button a few more times but didnt feel one ounce of pain and if I have to have it again I def will, it made my birth very pleasurable.
  • Options
    With my first, I labored actively for 20 hours pain-med free and things were progressing soooo s-l-o-w-l-y that I was afraid to get the epidural. However, I caved and DD arrived just over an hour later! So, my epidural definitely helped me relax and progress more quickly, IMO.

However, my epi didn't work correctly, it was placed incorrectly so it numbed the top of my body (upper torso/chest) and not down below, but honestly the pain was so worth it - the "ring of fire" definitely sucks, and so does tearing, but I got a local as lissydee mentioned before they stitched me up and honestly, I was so focused on DD the pain was an afterthought. because I could feel when to push, she was out in 4 pushes!!

I'm so on the fence with this second baby, I took a natural child birth class and now that i know what it feels like to labor without a working epi, I'm nervous to not know what it feels like to know when to push and also feel the relief of birthing the head (sorry, too graphic?), it was such an amazing thing to feel my body just take over. But I've also had so many people tell me how awesome the epi is if it actually DOES work… what to do, what to do...
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted SS. I'd really like to be able go through labor without an epidural. I don't have a very high pain tolerance, so I am trying to be realistic and not let down if I break down and need the epidural. A Bradley Method instructor recommended me a couple books that I am reading. I couldn't take the 12 week class because of my work schedule, and private classes were $500. Maybe if I had more faith in myself that I could go epidural free I'd spend the money. So, long story short, my goal is to go without an epidural, but I have a low pain tolerance so not sure I'll be able to do that.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    There's no question in my mind that I want a natural unmedicated labour/birth. I'm not actually that worried about the pain of contractions (maybe that makes me crazy?) but am more concerned about tearing than anything else. I take a lot of comfort in everyone saying that they didn't really notice it! I plan to spend a lot of my time in my bathtub and shower and will probably do a water birth with my midwife which I think will help a lot with the pain.

My one concern right now is that my cervix was measured at 5.8cm which my midwife said was like a fortress (lol) and that it will probably cause me to have a longer labour. I've tried searching this online and can only find articles about short cervix and no resources about how a longer cervix can affect labour so I'll have to ask more about this at my next appointment. Long story short I'm a little concerned about pain management if I end up in labour for 2+ days. Anyone else have/had a longer than average cervix?
    First time mom, due November 7 2014
  • Options
    You ladies who didn't experience the ring of fire are lucky!!! That was the excruciating part for me. Luckily it didn't last long ;)
  • Options
    I had an epidural with DS and it was such a relief to me, my labor lasted 15 hrs, which I didn't mind, it allowed me to feel in control and ready. My water broke at 12:00am, no real bad pains so I showered, blow dried my hair put on a little mascara and then went to the hospital! From there I just progressed at a constant pace and when it got too painful for me to handle I asked for an epidural. When I got it it was such a relief because I could finally rest! I actually fell asleep for an hour I was so tired! Ha! Then when I was ready to push I still felt some pain but I only pushed for a half an hour and then I had my little guy at 3:16pm that day.
    I definitely plan on an epidural again this time! It just made my experience so much better!
  • Options
    I was induced with my first and had pitocin, we aren't sure if it was the actual being in labor or the meds but I was full on dry heaving and convulsing about 5 hours in. It was terrible, and my epi fixed all that, let my body relax, and just 3 hours later DS was here and I had no tearing. I could walk and use the bathroom 20 minutes after they took it out. I'm playing it by ear this time.

I will say that that the best part of the epi for me was getting the catheter - I was so tired of getting up to pee from all those fluids they give you!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I am a speshul snowflake.  I'm having issues with my blood platelet count, so an epidural may not be an option for me.  I have to get my count over 100,000 in order to be considered for a spinal of any kind. 

I was in the same boat with DD.  My count got down to the mid-70s.  It's not until the 50,000s that a spinal is absolutely off limits.  From 50,000-100,000, they should check your coagulation numbers to determine whether or not it is safe.  In fact, my doctor FIL and nurse friend (neither involved in OB/GYN type care) were surprised that platelets were used as an indicator of likelihood to bleed-out (or rather, bleed in to the spinal column).  I did some research and found articles (from real medical journals) with the 50,000-100,000 recommendations for co-ag testing, which is exactly what my NP had me due on the day I went into labor.  I did, however, have to have the epi catheter thing in my back for 24 hours before they removed it as they wanted my platelets to come back up before removal.  (They tend to drop during labor).

Still, it's good to be prepared for no meds.  I didn't learn about my low numbers until the end (they had dipped, but risen, then started tanking at 38 weeks), so I was really not prepared.  Planning on learning more strategies for unmedicated labor this time around.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NunyaBennisNunyaBennis member
    edited July 2014
    @emoxymoose Interesting. One of my (many) concerns about the epi is the catheter. I don't know why that makes me so anxious!

@Jack&Jill86 My cervix is "nice and long" according to an US tech but I have no idea what that means. Further investigation is warranted... and just when I thought I was getting an idea or two about this whole labor thing.
  • Options
    jxzjxz member
    I had an epidural with DD and ended up as one of those 1 in 100 who gets a spinal fluid leak and headache. I ended up with an emergency c-section and trust me, the headache was far more painful than any of the recovery from the c/s.

That said, I know my situation was a fluke (it was a student who botched my epidural and she never identified herself as one.) if I wasn't having a RCS I would consider another epidural, and I'll be getting a spinal block obviously this time around.
  • Options
    Never had drugs to give birth and hoping I never will! I am having a home birth so its not an option to have an epi but even if it was, no thanks! Big needle in my spine? Terrifies me.....
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kstirtonkstirton member
    edited July 2014
    Epidural. No questions asked.

• Options
    lissydee said:
    lisaren said:
    @lissydee‌ I know I'm not pregnant but I love reading all your feedback to the ladies here! You always tend to say what I'm thinking and I'll just nod my head and say yep! Just wanted to say thank you for contributing helpful info to all the mommies here as a ttm and a L&D nurse.
    aww thanks!  I just love what I do.  :-D
    I was going to say the same thing!  Every time I see your avatar I know the comment is going to be intelligent and helpful.
    imageimage

• Options
    I love posts like this because I'm trying to gather info on which way to go...pain is scary but side effects also freak me out!!!
  • Options
    I'm going into this like I did with DD1. I didn't want drugs, but wasn't going to be disappointed in myself and feel like a failure if I ended up getting an epi. I ended up getting one and am so thankful I did. My water broke at home and I immediately started having contractions 3 minutes apart. Within 3 hours they were less than a minute apart (one of my nurses said she'd never seen anything like it). DD1 wasn't getting enough O2 because I didn't have enough time to recover between contractions. After 3 1/2 hours of that I got an epi at 7cm and it was GLORIOUS. An hour and a short nap later I was at a 10. They let me chill for an hour and then I pushed for 2 hours (every other contraction because they were so close together). The nurse, midwife, DH, and laughed and told stories between pushing. It was a fantastic experience. I had a 2nd degree tear, but I was up using the bathroom and showering within an hour or so after the epi was removed.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @excitedpreggo12‌ I have bad anxiety too so I'm going to try hypnotherapy for child birth. Maybe that is something you could look into? I know regardless of whether or not I get an epi, I'm going to need help calming myself down. My DH will go to a few sessions to learn how to support me using techniques from the hypnotherapist also :)
  • Options
    I voted SS.  I have always been a give me all the drugs person but was unable to get my epidural during my last labor because I progressed too quickly and the anesthesiologist didn't make it in time (4cm-10cm in 20 min).  Here is my experience:

W/epidural: 26 hours total (induced by catheter and pitocin), 45 minutes pushing, 3rd degree tear,I spiked a fever and threw up on DH while pushing (not sure if actually relating to epi or not), wore off shortly before I started pushing, catheter was FANTASTIC :), had latch issues with DS1 and required a lot of assistance to get him nursing

W/out epidural: 16 hours total (induced by pitocin), 10 minutes pushing, 3rd degree tear.  Was able to labor a bit in the tub, vividly remember the high level of pain (I was laying on my side gripping on to the bed rail and couldn't move...the nurse had to turn me over to start pushing), I honestly don't remember tearing..you're in the moment and focused on meeting your LO :), DS2 nursed immediately after birth like a champ, overall my recovery felt much easier

SOOO...I am motivated to try and go med-free again...BUT I have a feeling that I will ask for the drugs!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, I am going to sound like a total dork FTM. Does a Mama get a catheter every time there is an epi?? So do they put a catheter in and then do the epi or vice versa? I have my class in September but i am now wondering about this process in more detail thanks to you ladies. Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot.
  • Options
    @excitedpreggo12‌ the sessions start at 28 weeks and I believe there are 5-6? I am only 22.5 weeks right now. I already go to hypnotherapy once a month or so for stress and anxiety relief and I love it! It has taught me how to relax a bit better on my own, cause i am so wound up all the time. My DH also goes for his anxiety and he prefers it to talk therapy. I noticed a positive change in his behavior after a few sessions too! It's great! I think it's worth a try. I found mine on amazon local, and got a good deal that way.
  • Options
    @lissydee‌ thank you! When would a catheter be necessary? For some reason the thought if getting a cath is even more scary than getting an epi. I think it's because I saw my mom go through serious pain from a cath due to a back surgery. Now I'm wondering is epi even worth the risk of pain that I saw her experience.

There is just so much to consider. No wonder we have birth plans. It's all making sense now!
  • Options
    I intended to go med free with DS. I wanted to be free to move around and not stuck in a bed and the cons of an epidural just outweighed any pros for me personally.

That being said I went med free for 25hrs. I was dilated to 8 but he would not drop. Everytime they put me in a position to encourage him to drop his heart rate plummeted. Because he was not dropping, his heart rate was repeatedly dropping and my water had broken more than 24hrs earlier my dr made the call to have a c section so I ended up with an epidural. (His cord ended up being wrapped around his neck) They either gave me too much epidural or my body just reacted badly to it and it ended up going all the way up into arms, chest, and shoulders. I could not move from the neck down for about 2.5hrs after DS was born. I was in the or recovery for that entire time because they were afraid I would stop breathing since the epidural had gone into my chest.

I will be doing a med free Vbac this time around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mussalynnmussalynn member
    edited July 2014
    @lissydee‌ thank you! When would a catheter be necessary? For some reason the thought if getting a cath is even more scary than getting an epi. I think it's because I saw my mom go through serious pain from a cath due to a back surgery. Now I'm wondering is epi even worth the risk of pain that I saw her experience. There is just so much to consider. No wonder we have birth plans. It's all making sense now!
    @silverwings72 - FWIW, I had a c-section so of course had to have a catheter and it was seriously no big deal.  I couldn't feel it in there after the spinal wore off, and I was freaked out about them taking it out but it didn't hurt at all. 
    imageimage

• Options
    I won't get the epidural. It's not worth it for me. I've had bad reactions to it and my labors are generally pretty short.

I will however keep fentanyl on my options list . I am going to try to go drug free this time.
  • Options
    I will try not to get the epidural or any other pain medications. I also have fast labors so I probalby won't have time to get one.

DS #1- they gave me some pain meds and eventually an epidural. I think I could've waited because it was time to push once the epidural was done. I feel silly remembering this. I dilated so fast. After he was born, I was emotional, weepy, overprotective more likely PPD. My leg was also numb. I felt so trapped in the bed and in the room. It was just generally a sucky day. It took all day for the numbness in leg to wear off.
    DD - I was induced w pit. I went in 4:30p, induced 5p?, and had DD at 7:22p. Paperwork says I was in active labor for only an hour and half. I was begging for epidural during transition but was told I could not cuz the guy was busy w Csections. DD came and I was up and walking around within half hour. I was in such a great mood. No PPD at all.

That being said, it was amazing how two births affected my emotions. I do not want an epi at all. I truly feel it messed up my moods.

Also another reason why I feel I need to avoid any type of pain meds. DD had an averse reaction to one of the pain meds. Her heart stopped and they had to cut me to get her out quickly. The NCIU team was there in an insant and gave her shots to counteract the pain meds she got through me. She (and DS) had cords wrapped around neck. Both had heart issues during labor. I was able to meet DD then she was taken to NCIU for observation for around an hour then returned to me.

I need to talk to my midwife about pit because since I have a history of fast labors, this one could be a parking lot baby or a car baby. She mentioned more likely induce. FI is not supportive of the idea because of my history w babies that had reactions to the meds so this will take some hard discussions and figuring out the best and safest approach.
  • Options
    I voted special snowflake. I won't have an epidural because I will forever associate it with my experience getting a blood patch. I didn't have one with my son because I was scared of the needle and cpuld handle the pain.

However, it is driving me nuts that it seems like the view is that it is either epidural or medication free, when there are other options. I had regular IV pain meds and they didn't take the pain away, they did take the edge out of it. I will do that again.
  • Options
    I have talked to LOTS of friends/family about this and everyone I talked to did fine with an epi and would recommend it...my sister did med-free on her last baby (she had her two babies before that with the epi) and she said "it was the worst pain she has ever felt and she would never do it again without an epi." I heard her screams and it was not a good sound. I know she does not speak for everyone, but I trust her. That all being said, I am going for the epi. My hospital does have tubs that you can sit it before you start pushing, so I plan on trying that. 

IAmPregnant Ticker

First Met: March 13, 2009
    Married: September 13, 2012 
    BFP: March 4, 2014
    EDD: 11/25/2014 
    Three furbabies: Franklin (8) Amos (4) Sasha (2) 

• Options

I voted special snowflake. I won't have an epidural because I will forever associate it with my experience getting a blood patch. I didn't have one with my son because I was scared of the needle and cpuld handle the pain.

However, it is driving me nuts that it seems like the view is that it is either epidural or medication free, when there are other options. I had regular IV pain meds and they didn't take the pain away, they did take the edge out of it. I will do that again.

Of course there are numerous other options for pain relief, but we are answering the question that was asked: see thread title.
  • Options
    I had back labor with my ds so I had an epidural when I was only 2cm. I had already labored at home for 12 hours and couldn't take the pain anymore, so the epidural actually allowed my body to finally relax and I dilated to a 6 almost immediately. I did have to get pitocin to progress, but I didn't care bc I wasn't feeling anything. I only pushed 4 times, so I don't know about it making pushing more difficult. I just tried to act like I was having a bm and out he came! I was up walking within an hour and was fine afterwards with only minor discomfort where the epidural had been for a few weeks.
  • Options
    To epidural or not to epidural?? Yes, I can read. Read my frustration, it wasn't with answering epidural or no epidural, but with what often seems like it's all or nothing-epidural or no drugs at all. My previous statement isn't referring strictly to the thread (and I am glad to see a handful of responses that talk about other options), but encompasses my friends and coworkers who didn't know that there are other options.

I also do not mean to come across super crabby. I am hot, tired, my feet are killng me, and we had to unload a truck of merchandise at work. Super sweet is not in the cards today.
  • Options
    NunyaBennisNunyaBennis member
    edited July 2014

Boooo. Big fat gif fail.
  • Options
    I actually didn't really know about the other options until I started reading through the L&D brochure for my hospital the other day looking for some other tidbit of information. I'm going to talk to my OB about his preferences for things/standard procedure at that hospital when I go to my next appointment. I'd really like to try something other than needle-in-the-spine if I do decide I need some pain relief.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Could I deal with the pain? Yes, but why would I if I don't have to lol. Epidural for me this time. I was in labor for 28 hours last time and had an epidural after 24 hours which actually sped up my slowly progressing labor. It was so much more of a relaxed and tranquil process once I received my epidural. I felt much more present for everything once I was done writhing in pain.
  • Options

I really want to try to go drug free. I'm very against an epi and don't want any of the side effects. Luckily DH fully supports this and is helping me write our birth plan and told me not to worry if the hospital tries to force me into anything (ie c-section) because he will take care of it :) Hoping I can last through the pain and just focus on holding LO for the first time! 

@IndianaMommy08 Love the name first of all, I'm from Indy.... but what do you mean force you into a cesarean? Honestly curious. I have no clue why any doctor would do that... I thought they only go for that in emergency situations? So if it's an emergency, how and why would your DH "take care of it?"

Thanks! I'm from the Fort Wayne area! With one of my friends births they let her labor for so long and nurses/doctors tried to convince her that a c-section was necessary since she wasn't progressing fast enough.  I'm just very wary of t it (I've had a few bad reactions to surgery before). However, if it's truly medically necessary for me or LO I would do it, I just don't want to feel pressured into it.

I have a history of extreme anxiety and think that plays a part into irrational worry about labor and what to expect. And as far as DH "taking care of it" it's more or less his phrase to calm me down :) meaning he will make sure my wishes are respected.  I've found I just really need to educate myself on natural labor in a hospital setting and to feel comfortable with what my options are. 

I'm from Warsaw! Where have you decided to have your baby? I'm visiting Dupont next week and have visited Lutheran as well. Fun that we're so close :-)
  • Options
    With DD I was hoping to go med free, but I couldn't handle it. The anesthesiologist was surprised how far I progressed before I got an epidural. I would like to try again, but I believe with twins I will have to get one placed just in case I need a c section. I don't think i have to have meds running through it, but it will be a lot more tempting if its placed. I also hope to use the tub. They didn't have a tub where I delivered DD, but the hospital I will be at does have that option.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    sj+cm131 said:
    The list of disadvantages in that article alone far outweigh the advantages for me.  Yikes. 

Yes, it is a very long list! I am leaning towards not getting an epidural. The main advantage to getting one is the pain relief, and not knowing how painful it is going to be, I don't know how much of an advantage that is.

@st+cm131 it is extremely painful. That's it.   Imagine the worst pain you ever experienced and then times that by 100.  Its like someone is twisting your body at the waist and you are twisted so much, you should be dead- there is no way someone could survive this twist- like your upper body was twisted 10 times around and your are STILL LIVING!

I went med-free until 8 cm.   I used the hot tub, yes that does help, but laboring is the worst pain you will ever experience.  Noting prepares you.   The thing with childbirth is that it creeps up on you.  the pain at first is totally manageable.   In fact, I didn't even feel much of any pain until after 4 cm.  I was all like, oh, I can do tis.  ist like period cramps!  The nurses joke, if you can still talk through your contractions, you aren't even close to delivering.  TRUE!  I got to the point where it was so painful and I cant even believe it got so painful so gradually that I didn't realize it until BAM!  I wanted to die.   I suggest reading the Bradley method and take a childbirth class.  There are 3 stages of labor.  I didn't realize it but 8cm is the  last stage of labor, called transition.  its the most painful part of labor but also the quickest.  I was experiencing the shakes (caused by your uterus dilating to 10) and throwing up and begged for the epidural guy.  I seriously just couldn't do it anymore.   I labored for 18 hours, pushed for two.  Once I got the epi, I dilated to 10 in an hour and started pushing.  the epi wore off and I felt everything.   That ring of fire lasting 30 seconds, my ass.   It hurt so much.   I had to get a episotomy b/c they used the vacuum and then I tore on top of that to my ass (sever 3rd degree tear).  I didn't feel it at all.  The skin is so stretched that its self numbing so don't worry about feeling the ripping (you may not even!) 

Anyhoo, after my first experience, you bet your ass I am getting the epi after I hit 4 cm.   No sooner b/c I don't want labor to stall.  The longer you wait the better, but you have to time it right b/c that pain really creeps up on you.  

And in sum, after all of that, I healed beautifully, cant even feel the tear as it healed so nicely, vag went back to normal size, and two months after I gave birth, I got KU again.  My kids will be 11 months apart.  Go me!  But, I learned fromt eh first that its so hard to plan it out.  I will see how the labor progresses and will get the epi when I know its the right time to do so.

• Options

tugglek23 said:

I really want to try to go drug free. I'm very against an epi and don't want any of the side effects. Luckily DH fully supports this and is helping me write our birth plan and told me not to worry if the hospital tries to force me into anything (ie c-section) because he will take care of it :) Hoping I can last through the pain and just focus on holding LO for the first time! 

@IndianaMommy08 Love the name first of all, I'm from Indy.... but what do you mean force you into a cesarean? Honestly curious. I have no clue why any doctor would do that... I thought they only go for that in emergency situations? So if it's an emergency, how and why would your DH "take care of it?"

Thanks! I'm from the Fort Wayne area! With one of my friends births they let her labor for so long and nurses/doctors tried to convince her that a c-section was necessary since she wasn't progressing fast enough.  I'm just very wary of t it (I've had a few bad reactions to surgery before). However, if it's truly medically necessary for me or LO I would do it, I just don't want to feel pressured into it.

I have a history of extreme anxiety and think that plays a part into irrational worry about labor and what to expect. And as far as DH "taking care of it" it's more or less his phrase to calm me down :) meaning he will make sure my wishes are respected.  I've found I just really need to educate myself on natural labor in a hospital setting and to feel comfortable with what my options are. 
    I'm from Warsaw! Where have you decided to have your baby? I'm visiting Dupont next week and have visited Lutheran as well. Fun that we're so close :-)

Yay that is close! We actually live in Butler! I think we are pretty set on Parkview Regional off of Dupont. My OB is part of Parkview Physicians Group so that's why we're choosing that one. We actually meet with the birth planner this Wednesday, I am pretty excited! 

My sister had my niece at Lutheran (she was 34 week preemie) and loved their nicu and nurses there. I've heard good things about the birthing suites at Dupont too. 

When are you due? 

I'm due the 7th. What about you?
  • Options
    There isn't an option for epidural where I give birth so I won't be having one.  I never felt the need with my first and I love that I gave birth and by the time everything was settled down we were out the door and home.  I was out of my hour for 8 hours total.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"