August 2014 Moms
Options

Bottles for Breastfeeding Moms

So I definitely want to try to breastfeed, but after we get the hang of things, it would be nice to pump and allow others to feed her (plus it will be necessary once I go back to work).  

What bottles do you recommend that help to avoid nipple confusion?  I am leaning towards the Dr. Brown glass bottles, mainly because I like the idea of glass over plastic, but I read good reviews on the Tommee Tippee.  

Thoughts?  Other brands to consider?

Thanks! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottles for Breastfeeding Moms

• Options
    nyagocnyagoc member
    I registered for the Avent bottles because I heard it helped with avoiding confusion.

• Options
    My DD did not like the tommee tippee because the nipple was too hard. The lansinoh momma bottles worked for her. I bought a pack of munchkin latch bottles to try this time too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It seems like this is something that differs wildly between babies, based on other similar threads I've seen. The best advice I have is to get a few options and see which ones work for your baby.

In my case, DD didn't show much preference for any specific bottle, but would only use the nipples made of the opaque beige rubber stuff (not sure of the actual material). She completely refused the clear, slick, plastic-y kind.
  • Options
    Good points!  I assumed there would be a 'favorite,' but I guess I didn't realize how different babies' preferences would be.  I have 2 NUK bottles (I think freebies from Motherhood), so I might pick up a few different various types and see what she responds to the best down the road.

Thank you! :-)
  • Options
    They don't advertise this but you can often use different brand nipples and bottles, at least for the standard width ones. I had the relatively inexpensive glass evenflo bottles and used Dr. Browns, evenflo, and medela nipples with them. Sometimes baby prefers a particular type or shape of nipple.

Personally I hated pumping and did it as little as possible -- only when I was at work. If DH gave DD a bottle when I was there, I wouldn't be getting a break since I would have to be pumping then instead. After the first ~3-4 weeks nursing was so much nicer/easier than pumping.
  • Options
    +RBL++RBL+ member
    We used (and will hopefully reuse) Avent bottles. DS mostly nurses but due to jaundice, also got a bottle within the first week. We never had any nipple confusion issues. I do think that could vary greatly, depending on LO. We will try the Avent again and hope for the best.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD took the Avent bottles quite well. We will try them again this time and see how they work.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I hope mine will take to the Medela bottles that I can pump directly into. We'll see!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I EBF and then pumped when I went back to work -- DS took Tommee Tippee bottles without a problem (but yes, all babies are different!).

I do recommend bottles like this:

over bottles like this:

SO much easier to clean!

• Options
    kcm3kcm3 member
    I mainly breastfed, but we used Dr. Brown's when I pumped. Both my babies took those bottles, but I have heard that some babies are more particular, so you don't want to over invest until you know if your baby will be particular about the kind of nipple etc. Good luck.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Born Free makes a wide base glass bottle that we got to try.  They say sometimes the wide base (the opening of the bottle is much larger than a normal narrow bottle) is better for breastfed babies because its more the shape/size of a breast.  As long as you have the slowest flow nipple you should be fine.  

I'm hoping this baby eventually takes a normal bottle and we are looking at the Life Factory glass bottles. 
    CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy #3 after two prior losses in 2013

EDD 8/18 

• Options
    We're doing glass bottles as well. We got Advent natural ones. I haven't opened any of them and only plan to open one until I know LO will take it.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    jenkealejenkeale member
    edited July 2014

I hope mine will take to the Medela bottles that I can pump directly into. We'll see!

This exactly. Fingers crossed because I also got a whole set if storage bottles and nipples at my baby shower.
  • Options
    We bought mimijumi bottles from their website. They are not glass, but they are specifically made from babies going between breast and bottle (nude colored, soft nipple, wide base). This is my first so I was just off of reviews :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!  I purchased a few different kinds today (one of each)... hopefully we'll find out what she likes the best from that bunch!
  • Options
    @jenkeale‌ I got the storage set of Medela bottles too and I'm overly excited about using the tray and dating system on the caps to organize the milk
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Options
    DS only took playtex ventaire nipples/bottles. This time around I bought one pack of Tommie tippe and one of avent bottles to try too since both are advertised as being good for bf babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"