May 2014 Moms
Options

Pedi said to stop breastfeeding so often?

LO had his 2 week appt at the pediatrician's office today, the first time we have seen the pedi since he was born. LO weighed in at 10 lbs today, his birth weight was 8 lbs 13 oz. The doctor told me to stop breastfeeding so often, that he shouldn't have gained that much weight. At the hospital, the nurses and lactation consultant both instructed me to feed him on demand...and everything I've read about breastfeeding advises the same. Just curious if anyone else was ever told to slow down on the breastfeeding? 

LO eats anywhere from every 2-3 hours during the day, and at night right now he is eating every 2 hours. Pedi told me that if he's hungry and upset to try rocking him or a paci and hold him off on eating. I think I will call the lactation consultant and ask her if this is the best thing...I guess it just threw me off today to hear that I am feeding my newborn too much!

Re: Pedi said to stop breastfeeding so often?

• Options
    I would get a second opinion. That goes against everything I've been told and everything I've read. Babies eat when they are hungry.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok thank you once again ladies for confirming exactly what I thought! I appreciate your input, I do think I will get a second opinion. 
  • Options
    Lild09Lild09 member
    Ummm no keep on feeding on demand mama baby will eat when hungry as you should know! If they arnt hungry and you offer boob they won't take it or cry on it

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That's crazy.

I would be more than estatic to see my baby gain weight like that. And DS did similar to your LO and my MW was more than pleased. We were shocked but happy!

I would get a second opinion, because it sounds like your baby is thriving and your doing what your supposed to :)
  • Options
    Feed on demand. Your pediatrician sounds a little nuts.
  • Options
    This is not normal. I am ff and my pedi basically told me it's very hard to babies to gain too much weight and to feed him when he is hungry. I would definitely seek another opinion.
  • Options
    Team new pedi. DS2 was 9 lbs 11 oz at birth, discharged at 8 lbs 13 oz, first check up 3 days after discharge 8 lbs 15 oz. A week later he was 10 lbs 3 oz and then the other day (another week later) he was 11 lbs even. The dr jokingly asked what I was feeding him and said to keep up the good work. While it is on the high side for weight gain, it's perfectly ok. My pedi did say however that with his appetite/weight gain that we will keep him on the breast as long as possible, which was my plan anyhow.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    Yeah get a new pedi. My first gained two full pounds in her first month. From 7-15 to 9-14. Technically she gained almost three pounds considering she dropped to 7-1 at 3 days old.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I'm kind of horrified that a pediatrician would say that. WTF.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    sheriotsheriot member
    edited June 2014
    Agree with everyone else. Find a new pediatrician and do not stop feeding your baby as much. Every 2-3 hrs is perfect.

Eta: spelling is hard.
  • Options
    Esbi25Esbi25 member
    Yeah, that's so weird. DS2 was 9 lb 15 oz at birth and was 9 lbs 7 oz at his first ped appt. Exactly two weeks later, his weight check was at 11 lbs 15 oz. They said keep doing whatever you're doing! And that was that.

• Options
    My baby gained over 2 pounds at his 2 week appointment. My pediatrician (who is also the babies great aunt) was very pleased and was excited he got that big that quick. Plus I would not want to deal with a hungry baby... It is like starving them
  • Options
    Your pedi sounds like my mom. Ignore that advice. I would find a new pedi
  • Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else. That's horrible advice!!
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would definitely look into getting a new pedi. Keep feeding on demand and be happy that he us growing and you don't have to do weight checks or worry that he isn't getting enough,

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Weird.. I was also told to feed on demand. Sometimes LO will over eat but it's only happened twice and she ended up vomiting it within 5 minutes. She usually won't take the bottle/breast unless she is hungry.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Options
    This is not normal. I am ff and my pedi basically told me it's very hard to babies to gain too much weight and to feed him when he is hungry. I would definitely seek another opinion.
  • Options
    Woah weird sorry for the double post!
  • Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    edited June 2014
    OP: drop the pedi that is crazy advice for a newborn EBF. You can't over feed them.

@MaciC‌ how are you correcting your imbalance? I have suspected this due to oversupply that is getting better with block feeding 2 consecutive feeds from one breast or until empty. She also gained from 6.14 to 9.3 in 3.5 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    I would be furious at any doctor that told me not to feed my child when he is hungry. I say find a new pedi ASAP.
    image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"