May 2014 Moms
Options

did anyone NOT get a catheter?

With my first the catheter didn't work because her head was blocking off something that would've allowed my bladder to empty. It was really uncomfortable when they put it in and since it didn't work they agreed to take it out. They had me try to go in a bed pan but still nothing came out because she was blocking it.

I'm wondering if I might have the option to request NOT to have a catheter this time and just try a bed pan if needed. It was seriously so awkward and uncomfortable feeling. Did anyone here request NOT to have one?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: did anyone NOT get a catheter?

• Options
    I didn't get one. For some reason it wasn't even mentioned..but labor was only 3 hours from start to finish.
  • Options
    I didn't get one. Since I didn't get an epi I was able to choose no catheter this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't get one either. Labor was short and I didn't get an epi.
    BabyFetus Ticker 

• Options
    HallilHallil member
    No cath either time, but I had two home births. If I was you I'd check with your doctor ahead of time so you know going in. As with most things it *should* be up to you but depending on your care giver and hospital policies you might have to put your foot down.
  • Options
    No drugs here. so no catheter required.
  • Options
    eliakeliak member
    Didn't have one either. I had a walking epidural and was able to use the restroom as frequently as i needed to.. However they said that they'd use one if i didn't go often.
  • Options
    kalettekalette member
    I got one when I had the epi with DD and hated it. It hurt a lot to get and the epi hadn't kicked in yet. I didn't get an epi with DS ( due to lack of time) and didn't need a catheter either.
  • Options
    I didn't have one this time (had one with dd once I got the epi)... Not sure why but maybe bc they broke my water so that was already all over the place? I even delivered in the OR (twins) and they said I peed a lot during pushing (I had no idea). After they put one in and drained my bladder and then took it out.
  • Options
    I did not have one permanently put in, they just emptied my bladder quickly. Once I got the Epi I moved pretty fast so I didn't have to worry about going to long.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    PattyTCPattyTC member
    I didn't have a permanent one either. They emptied my bladder 3 times though. It was just a quick in and out shortly after I got my epi, before I gave birth and right after.
  • Options
    Med free so no cath
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    momo214momo214 member
    Same, no meds, no catheter.
  • Options
    lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    I had an epi and had one. I wasn't really given an option but I would've done anything for the epi at that point. I didnt feel it being inserted but once I started feeling pressure, the catheter hurt with each contraction.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No epi, no catheter. You should ask your doctor/hospital if a bed pan is an option so you know before hand what you can and can't ask for.
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    I had a c-section so the catheter wasn't optional, but I've heard of women being allowed to choose the bedpan or even an as-needed straight cath instead of the Foley.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    mcnavamcnava member
    i had an epi but kept my dose low enough taht i had control and used the bed pan up until pushing started. once i started pushing I had to get one, but i went for about 15 hours on the epi withouth one.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"