May 2014 Moms
Options

Ok to frequently switch formula brands?

I am BFing but I think I am going to start giving a bottle of formula before bed each night. I'm going to pump since he won't be feeding so I can start a stash of breast milk for when I go back to work and to keep my supply up. I have about 10 cans of sample formulas that I would like to use. After I finish a can, is it OK to switch brands? That way I wouldn't have to buy any for a long time. I'm thinking a can will probably last several weeks so I would not be switching more than that.

Re: Ok to frequently switch formula brands?

• Options
    I'd ask your pedi. My answer would be no, it's not okay, but if it's that infrequent then maybe it would be

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    You can but you'd run into tummy troubles possibly and you'll never know which one caused it.

Is there a way you can trade it with other mommies for your brand of choice? The free sample ones go like hot cakes on free websites in my area.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have used three different types of formula since LO was born (I am EP and supplementing with a few ounces of formula per day). We used up our samples we got in the mail and then bought organic formula. We haven't had any problems!
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    edited May 2014
    It depends on the baby and the brands. Some babies cam eat anything with no issues (DS was one of these easy babies). Others are sensitive to even the tiniest changes.

Brand-name recipes may vary, but if you're using generic store-brand formulas, you should be able to switch around without any problem. They're all made by Perrigo in the same factory with the same recipes within each line (all the gentle ones are the the same recipe, all the regular, all the soy, etc.).

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    I did that with the sample formulas when DS1 was born and every time I switched he had tummy issues for a week or so until his body got used to it. I wouldn't recommend doing it. The last thing you want/need as a new mom is a cranky baby!
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    haylo33haylo33 member
    Right now we are using enfamil infant. Most of the samples are similac but different types like newborn, sensitive stomach. Is it ok to stay within a brand but change types??
  • Options
    I did it but one sample didn't agree with her ( Enfamil Gentlease) after two diapers of diarrhea I threw the can out. Just pay close attention when you start a new can in our case I think the sensitive tummy types actually make her sick because she doesn't require it.
  • Options
    cbrustcbrust member
    I'd ask your pedi. DD had tummy issues and couldn't tolerate any kind by similac, but does ok on Enfamil gentleease. We tried 3 different formulas in just about 4 weeks abd every time we switched she would get either really constipated, gassy, fussy, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"