2nd Trimester
Options

Did your partner have or is he planning to have a dadchelor party or man shower?

BumpJackieBumpJackie member
edited May 2014 in 2nd Trimester

Follow The Bump on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!

Did your partner have or is he planning to have a dadchelor party or man shower? 341 votes

Yes
16% 55 votes
No
83% 286 votes

Re: Did your partner have or is he planning to have a dadchelor party or man shower?

• Options
    Where I live, they're called diaper parties. The guys each bring a pack of diapers or wipes and then sit around and drink beer, or play pool, or sit around a bonfire, etc. Assuming this counts, then yes. I've never heard the phrase "dadchelor party" or "man shower."
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I have never heard of these.  This is our second, but DH certainly wouldn't have wanted one with DS. 

• Options
    In our circle we also have diaper parties, usually the same day as the shower. Keeps the men out if our hair ;)
  • Options
    Nope. We won't be doing a shower for this baby. DH showed up at my first shower towards the end and mingled or a bit.

He would probably give a huge eye roll to a dad shower.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We are doing a BBQ for the baby shower and my husbands friends will be invited with their significant others. This way my husband can enjoy the shower and so can I. Having just woman at the shower is not really that exciting and it gets me out of playing games!! I would rather have everyone have a good time and enjoy mingling!
  • Options
    Our shower was coed so it was one big shower with both of our friends and families there...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    cocohkn said:

No no no. This is in the same ridiculous realm as Grandmother Showers.

That its a THING??????
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    rak123rak123 member
    Whut?!

Baby BOY is due May 23, 2014!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    DH and I have talked about a coed shower, however his new job has him working crazy hours 7 days a week. Getting his birthday off was hard enough for him. So the shower will be ladies only. I just asked him if he'd like a 'man shower' and after I explained what it was, he rolled his eyes and said "Can I just grab a beer at the wing place down the street and call it good?"

His birthday is right around when my shower will be though (might even end up the same day), and since he is turning 30, I am doing a big surprise thing for him with all his guy friends, so I guess he gets a party, but there will be no diapers, or wipes, or anything like that.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    LgillaspieLgillaspie member
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    MeetherMeether member
    edited June 2014
    I don't know how I'd feel if DH was invited to a dad shower. It sounds kind of gift grabby. I love showers but usually we both attend and enjoy them. Maybe the guys we hang out with are boring, but I couldn't see any of them ever agreeing to anything like that. It has me thinking, sooo do the men plan the party? Do they share the registry? Are gifts expected? Do they open them in front of the other guys?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Um, no. He'd rather hide in a closet than go through something like that, I think.
  • Options
    No, we honestly haven't even thought of that! I think that would be a good idea for him though… We plan on having a co-ed shower, with friends but mostly with our families. But I think him and his friends would get a kick out of sitting around, drinking beer and everyone bringing a thing of diapers or something. I'll bring it up to him! 
    ~~~My baby girl is due November 4th, 2014~~~
  • Options
    No.  Those parties are really tacky!
  • Options
    No, we honestly haven't even thought of that! I think that would be a good idea for him though… We plan on having a co-ed shower, with friends but mostly with our families. But I think him and his friends would get a kick out of sitting around, drinking beer and everyone bringing a thing of diapers or something. I'll bring it up to him! 
    The dad-to-be is NOT the host! It is tacky/gross to ask people to a gift giving event that you are hosting for yourself and to dictate the gift.
  • Options
    I think that they are fun! They allow the dad to get involved as well! I think a bonfire/poker game/football game would be a fun event where entrance is a pack of diapers - and who doesn't need more diapers! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think maybe a party that's separate for dads might be appropriate if you have a rather sex-segregated group of friends, but that's not the case for us. We have a lot of mutual friends and close friends of our own that are men and women and many of our friends are GLBT and would probably feel weird at women-only or men-only parties that are really gendered. Even my bachelorette party was co-ed, but DH wasn't there, thankfully!

My in-laws are throwing a co-ed baby shower for everyone that will probably be more traditional with games, but I am happy that my husband will be right there with me to witness the ridiculous cheesiness of the games, so we can giggle about it later. We are going to do a laid-back picnic/BBQ with just friends to celebrate as well (no gifts necessary for that, just BYOB/meat).
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Options
    DH didn't even want a bachelor party, so no, I doubt he'll want a 'dadchelor' party!
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    A "diaper party" is a fun way for dad to celebrate with his friends (doing guy stuff, watching a game, drinking, etc.). It's not like they sit around and play baby shower games, nor do they probably want to be at yours watching your friends play. I think they're a fun way for dad to celebrate, especially with his friends who don't have wives/gfs going to baby shower, then why is it bad to have 2 parties? It's dad's baby too he should get to have a party also.
  • Options

I think that they are fun! They allow the dad to get involved as well! I think a bonfire/poker game/football game would be a fun event where entrance is a pack of diapers - and who doesn't need more diapers! 

NO!!! In no way is it okay to order your friends what to bring you. Beyond gift grabby!
    Isn't that the same as a registry?
  • Options

My baby daddy is! He planning on having the men wear diapers!
  • Options
    when I have my shower I will see if dh friends want to come over and play video games and drink with him. No gifts required. I am sure my dh didn't want to sit around at a shower unless we do the Halloween theme one then it will be coed. My shower will be more of a celebration because we have bought practically everything already. Just want to celebrate this lo and all we have been through to get here.

I am still curious as to what a grandma shower is???
  • Options
  • Options
    My mother wants it to be a co-ed shower and since she is throwing it for me I am not going to stop her. But I do know that, while some guys don't mind attending showers, they usually get bored around gift giving time. I brought up to her that we could have guys come and play a few co-ed games and stuff and then my bf could take them all down the street to a wing place or something and thy could all hang out there. We wouldn't require diapers but I do want them to have a good time as well. Plus, my mom is throwing it at her house and I know it can get a little cramped with all of these ppl she is inviting so it might be better to clear up some space as well. It's my first so she already has a lot of it planned lol she is super excited. When the shower is finished I may tell my female friends what the guys are doing and maybe we could all go hang out w them ( maybe not "we" Bc I'd be helping clean up). I do agree that it is a bit gift grabby to demand diapers as an entrance fee but usually, at the ones I've heard of, the dad to be picks up the tab so he is essentially paying for those diapers through beers lol
  • Options
    Yes. Our friends approaches us about hosting one for him. I'm sure most of them won't show up with diapers but that's not the point. It will be closer to the due date, ab a month out. I know he will have fun, drink a ton and stay out super late.
  • Options
    No. And he won't have one either; that's just ridiculous... It's not a momcation or a woman shower; it's a baby shower... Meaning? It's for the baby, not for you to get away...
    ~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
  • Options
    No. My husband isn't big on stuff like that, although his cousins are planning on throwing a shower for me. I've asked that everyone bring diapers. But it sounds like a neat idea so the guy can be apart of it. 
  • Options
    That's exactly what my husband is doing. We were going to do a coed shower, but instead he's just doing a diaper party. I don't see how having a diaper party is tacky?!?! Anywho, some daddy's actually want to be involved and feel like they are important to the baby's birth as well. They just don't want to be involved with the frilly stuff, which I definitely want at my shower.
  • Options
    My husband is more excited about the prospect of a baby shower than I am. (I really hate being the center of attention). For our wedding we did a co-ed wedding shower opposed to just a bridal shower. He loved being able to participate so I think for the baby shower we will do a baby shower/diaper party. He is much more comfortable with the attention so I would gladly let him have it!! I love that he wants to be involved too. I think its sweet of him to be so excited about every aspect including the shower
  • Options

Darbie914 said:
    That's exactly what my husband is doing. We were going to do a coed shower, but instead he's just doing a diaper party. I don't see how having a diaper party is tacky?!?! Anywho, some daddy's actually want to be involved and feel like they are important to the baby's birth as well. They just don't want to be involved with the frilly stuff, which I definitely want at my shower.
    Because telling people what to bring you as a gift is fucking rude.  How can people not understand that? 

Imagine going up to someone and saying, "Hey I'm throwing a party but in order for you to come, you have to bring me XYZ."  That's so incredibly rude and the amount of women that post here thinking otherwise is mind-boggling to me.  When did people become so entitled?

Reality check- just because you are having a baby doesn't mean the world wants to give you shit.  Your choice to have a child, your responsibility to provide for it.  All of the cutesy parties in the world won't change that and people can see through the stupid title at the gift grabbiness that lies underneath it all.
    The point of a diaper party is for the daddy to be and can be really cute. My husband was recently invited to one that was a poker night were the buy in was diapers or wipes. I don't think the implication of a diaper party is that the biggest most expensive package of diapers has to be brought. It is just a way to include men without subjecting them to the frilly side of a baby shower.

A gift registry of any kind is the same thing as telling people what to bring making a themed party gift not rude or grabby.
  • Options
    CGOODPAS said:
    My husband is more excited about the prospect of a baby shower than I am. (I really hate being the center of attention). For our wedding we did a co-ed wedding shower opposed to just a bridal shower. He loved being able to participate so I think for the baby shower we will do a baby shower/diaper party. He is much more comfortable with the attention so I would gladly let him have it!! I love that he wants to be involved too. I think its sweet of him to be so excited about every aspect including the shower

So you're throwing your own shower and telling your guests what to buy you?  How cute.  No, not really, that is a hot mess of tacky entitlement. 

Also, I seriously fucking gagged reading this.  So gross.

This. Dude just wants gifts.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"