May 2014 Moms
Options

breastfeeding woes...

Well, I was induced and had a C-section approx 1 wk ago. I didn't get a chance to hold my LO until I was back in the mother / baby room (approximately 3-4 hrs). He was having decreased blood sugar levels so they started him on formula until I was up & about. I tried nursing but he was reluctant to stay latched. Along with the glucose issue he developed jaundice. All of that being said, I ended up pumping more than nursing the first week of his life.

I'm having trouble getting him to nurse. I thought I had found a remedy - give him a little breast milk in the bottle, burp, then nurse. It worked a couple of times but not since Thurs (last week).

I'm trying to stay calm but really would like to enjoy nursing DS. Any ideas? I've tried a couple different ways of holding him but they don't work. I'm trying not to become frustrated as I know it'll only frustrate him.

Thanks all!

Re: breastfeeding woes...

• Options
    No ideas but to keep trying and keep calm! Hang in there mama! He will get it. This is the part that tests us and we can only keep going :)

So many new things for These little ones, some things are easier. Wish BF was one of them for us!
  • Options
    MimalooMimaloo member
    I'm sorry you're having trouble and I have no experience with your situation, but a friend gave me a book that really helped - it's called Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers. 
    I strongly recommend it. It covers a whole range of BF issues and gives a lot of smart solutions that were completely different from the advice I got from nurses and LCs. 

Good luck :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mimaloo said:
    I'm sorry you're having trouble and I have no experience with your situation, but a friend gave me a book that really helped - it's called Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers. 
    I strongly recommend it. It covers a whole range of BF issues and gives a lot of smart solutions that were completely different from the advice I got from nurses and LCs. 

Good luck :)
    Thanks! I'll look into the book...
  • Options
    I recommend seeing a lactation consultant or finding LLL. They might be able to help. I am sorry you are goi g through this. Good luck
    Thanks! I had my little one Sat a.m. so the LC wasn't on staff until Mon. The LO's pediatrician also gave tips but it seems like nothing works thus far. I'll keep trying - really I will. Just trying to stay calm in the midst of all of this...
  • Options
    Have you tried a nipple shield? I definitely think a lactation consultant could really help you. I saw 2 lactation consultants after I had DS1. It took about 4 weeks to find our groove, but I successfully nursed him for 20 months. Hang in there, it will get better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    neems1982 said:
    Have you tried a nipple shield? I definitely think a lactation consultant could really help you. I saw 2 lactation consultants after I had DS1. It took about 4 weeks to find our groove, but I successfully nursed him for 20 months. Hang in there, it will get better.
    Thanks! Most mothers I talk to give me positive support with their emphasis of not getting into a groove early on either. I have a nipple shield - do you think that'll help? I'll try it...
  • Options
    Definitely check in with a LC.  Kellymom.com is also a great resource for breastfeeding.  Not sure if they have anything specific for your situation, but would be worth the read!  Good luck mama!
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Options
    I second the LC suggestion, they work wonders. Some pediatrician offices have them, if you don't have a local LC. Good luck.

imageimageimage

• Options
    Try offering the boob first, but make sure you start feeding at his first signs of hunger.  If you wait until he is crying and worked up, he may not have the patience to latch and work hard for his milk.

When DS was born, I ended up pumping for the first week because he was in the NICU, was terrible at latching and was not making any nursing progress.  Once we were home, we started offering the breast first at every feeding for as long as he would tolerate it, then switching to a bottle of pumped milk.  It took a week, maybe slightly more, but we were eventually able to get rid of the bottle completely. 

Good luck, mama.  Sometimes this breastfeeding thing takes a lot of practice. 
    imageimage">BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The nipple shield really helps! Try not to stress! It's new to both you and baby. And you know what it's hard, I felt like I had no idea how hard breastfeeding would be.
  • Options
    Try offering the boob first, but make sure you start feeding at his first signs of hunger.  If you wait until he is crying and worked up, he may not have the patience to latch and work hard for his milk.

When DS was born, I ended up pumping for the first week because he was in the NICU, was terrible at latching and was not making any nursing progress.  Once we were home, we started offering the breast first at every feeding for as long as he would tolerate it, then switching to a bottle of pumped milk.  It took a week, maybe slightly more, but we were eventually able to get rid of the bottle completely. 

Good luck, mama.  Sometimes this breastfeeding thing takes a lot of practice. 
    I feel that's what I need to do. Get more regular with the feedings so I get ahead of his "hunger" pattern (go to regular 2 hr feedings). I have noticed it's an issue of patience. I also changed nipples & bottles. I think perhaps he was getting food too quickly with the Medela bottles so I went with a 0+ mth nipple by Avent. Just started today so we'll see if it helps any (along with the change in feeding schedule).

I will admit that I am in the habit of not waking him and just letting him sleep until he tells me he's hungry. I need to get better at that...

Thanks so much for the suggestion(s)...
  • Options
    I also second the vote for a lactation consultant. I saw one for both of my LO's. They can really help with latching techniques. That's what I had trouble with both times. We ended up getting it figured out and I nursed DS for six months before weaning so I could get back on my anti-anxiety meds. Stay strong. You are doing great and I promise once you get it figured out you will be happy you stuck it out. And you know what, if it doesn't work out, that's okay too!! Whatever keeps baby fed and mama happy is all that matters!!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Options
    hbird0723hbird0723 member
    edited May 2014
    I am in love with the nipple shield. Haleigh wouldn't latch onto my left side and I kept trying different positions and things but it just wasn't working. One of my nurses suggested using one and with the first try she latched and now I don't have to use it after a couple times using it. I also used it in the other side a couple times because she wasn't grabbing enough and it helped with that as well.

• Options
    I love/hate my nipple shield. It really helps with feeding but it also does not stay on very well. My wiggly, impatient baby will often knock it off before I get her into a good position. But I can't get her to latch otherwise (flat nipples, impatient baby). I definitely feel you in the woes department. Our last day in the hospital things were going so much better and then we came home yesterday and it's like starting from square one again. We had a lot of help in the hospital from the lactation consultants and they were wonderful, so another vote for try the nipple shield and see if you can find an LC. Good luck! It's so hard not to get stressed out.
  • Options
    Thanks all! It has definitely gotten better. The nipples hurt a bit (I don't think I'm getting him to latch properly) but am toughing through it as I haven't given him a bottle in the past 2-3 days. I do have a small storage in the fridge I'm going to have to give him soon but other than that he's been on the breast.

I do have a nipple shield that I have to "clean" first (according to the instructions) before trying to use. Perhaps in the next day or two...

Again - thanks!
  • Options
    Lurking from A14....
    I'm not even 5 weeks in and we are still establishing breast feeding! Hang in there, it does get easier. We were using a shield due to a poor latch and are in the process of weaning off it now. It was a frustrating few weeks at first but I called in a lactation nurse (didn't have the option of a LC) and she helped out a ton.
    One tip that helped was squirting a bit of breast milk into the shield (syringe) and then offering to LO. That way she had immediate gratification and just continued to suck because she was getting milk right away. Worked like a charm!
    YCSWU
  • Options
    MadBloom said:
    Lurking from A14.... I'm not even 5 weeks in and we are still establishing breast feeding! Hang in there, it does get easier. We were using a shield due to a poor latch and are in the process of weaning off it now. It was a frustrating few weeks at first but I called in a lactation nurse (didn't have the option of a LC) and she helped out a ton. One tip that helped was squirting a bit of breast milk into the shield (syringe) and then offering to LO. That way she had immediate gratification and just continued to suck because she was getting milk right away. Worked like a charm!
    Ok - I'll take that advice on the breast milk inside the shield...thanks!
  • Options
    Sounds like you figured it out but here is what I was going to say anyways. DD had trouble latching an feeding in the hospital. So I supplemented with pumped milk. The nurses recommended to not use a bottle and gave me a supplemental nursing system (SNS) instead. It's just a very thin tube, you squirt milk in it with a syringe and put it in the baby's mouth while they're sucking at the breast. DD was too tired to stay latched at the breast, but with the SNS she didn't have to work as hard for the milk and was able to nurse longer. The SNS might be a good way to transition back to the breast.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"